I'm literally Joe Republican now (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:22:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I'm literally Joe Republican now (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I'm literally Joe Republican now  (Read 12696 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: October 19, 2011, 12:35:06 AM »

I'm kind of curious about attending the caucus here actually since the DFL one won't be notable for even the downballot stuff, though I'd feel dirty having it on file anywhere that I ever voted or attended a Republican caucus and getting on their mailing list. Plus I already sort of know that it'll just be a bunch of Ron Paul nerds anyway.

Ha you know I could attend wearing a band shirt, get high and have my clothes smelling of pot, and talk about Jesus at the caucus, and essentially be myself but still fit in perfectly.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 12:58:32 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=142467.0

Dunno.  Whoever has the most lolworthy campaign by that point.  Which, judging by how things have been going, could pretty much be any of them.

It has to be Ron Paul.  You're in Nevada, how can you not go Ron Paul?  Go the whole 9 yards.  Become the crazy guy in the desert that broadcasts on shortwave radio.

Yes he should get high before caucusing too.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »

The down side is that you have to pay $40 to do so, which is bullsh[Inks].  It's $50 if you pay after Valentines Day for god knows what reason.  What kind of stupid ass system of democracy is this?  Oh yeah, it's a caucus; democracy is not applicable.

The reasoning is probably paying the expenses of the state convention. They asked for a donations at both district conventions I've been to but it's never been mandatory. There's the Republicans for you.

What also struck me as odd about this is that we had elected our delegates before we even knew each other's presidential preferences.  So, let's say for argument's sake that all 199 registered Republicans had shown up.  185 of those intended to vote for Ron Paul, and 14 for Mitt Romney, but of course none of this was known by this point.  Let's say that the delegates we elect all happen to be from the Romney camp.  Despite Ron Paul winning our precinct by a massive margin, all four delegates we send to the county convention will likely go on to vote for Mitt Romney.  WT[I]?  Again, democracy is clearly not applicable here.

Well no because the straw poll results are binding. So that just means the Paulites don't get a say in who the Paul delegates from state would be. Same system we use. Not perfect but still better than a non-binding straw poll caucus.

Yeah, from my experience with the Minnesota caucus, it sounds like they were really doing it wrong at yours.  You should know who the people running for delegate support for president before you vote them in.

Well he said this is only the second caucus the NVGOP has done. Minnesota has been doing caucuses since the 60s, so it's not surprising we're a bit more organized.

The delegate thing doesn't matter though as I noted. That was the same case as it was in my precinct in 2008, where we had more delegate positions open than people who volunteered.

That's awesome! When's the next stage of being a delegate? Are Paul people coordinating with you about it, or will there just be more chaos?

Also, if you want to advance further and being a Ron Paul hack isn't really doing it for you, you could always plea that "they picked me as a precinct delegate before we voted so I thought I had to support the candidate my precinct did?" 

Are you familiar with what happened at the Nevada Republican state convention in 2008? LOL. What will probably happen is he'll get a phone call or two from the Paul people reminding him of the convention and possibly even from the other candidates trying to convince him to switch. I got calls from the Senate candidates in 2008 and Gubernatorial ones in 2010 even though I was clearly known as a Rybak supporter. Of course for the Senate and Gubernatorial endorsement votes they mattered, the Nevada GOP presidential delegate counts are already set in stone.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lol. This is hilarious. (Just how large is that precinct?)

As noted above, that happened at both caucuses I've participated in, but both times we were selecting a massive amount of delegates, around 40-50. Probably a result of the formula being based on how many votes DFL candidates get but in this area there being a ton of DFL voters who aren't likely to participate in a caucus. Not surprising.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 12:17:44 AM »

Nevada: February 4

Overview
28 Delegates (1.22% of total)
Caucus
At-Large Proportional (3.57% cutoff)

Nevada is holding a caucus---however, unlike in previous years, the final slate of delegates elected by the State Convention in May must reflect the results of the Presidential Preference Straw Poll taken at the caucus.  As this is a relatively new development, the exact details of how it must be proportional (i.e. rounding) have yet to be decided (and may be fought over at the convention)---however, it does appear that the cutoff to receive any delegates is 1/28th of the total vote, or 3.57%.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies