SENATE BILL: Libyan Aid Bill (law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:41:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Libyan Aid Bill (law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Libyan Aid Bill (law'd)  (Read 7908 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: November 04, 2011, 06:16:51 PM »

Nay

Just pass this bill, already. Good Lord.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »

Nay

Just pass this bill, already. Good Lord.

This Senate seems intent on doing everything possible to destroy any hope the new Libyan nation has of survival.

Some in the Senate. Tongue But like you, I'm at a loss for why such a miniscule amount of money and such a great deal of simple good will is a bad idea. There's really no serious issue with this bill at all. I can't remember the last time such a simple idea received such persistent opposition.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:14:47 PM »

"The Senate"? Collective responsibility meme was beaten to the ground by the Germans in 1940s, dude.

Very well, Kal, I'll rephrase.

There are certain Senators in this body who want to do everything possible to prevent the new Libya from surviving.  It's disturbing, and I applaud those who understand the implications if this legislation is defeated or substantially modified.

You're certainly not going to get me to vote aye with that attitude.

It doesn't help that he's basically right. Why the hell else would a bill about giving a nation recovering from civil war just 100 million dollars actually have seven pages of debate? I don't understand all the hand wringing from the opposition here, but I do know that practically every time Ben has come to the Senate asking for anything, several of you have laughed in his face every time.

And if you're voting based on whether or not Ben upsets you, please re-evaluate the reasons why you vote for or against legislation.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:04:17 PM »

"The Senate"? Collective responsibility meme was beaten to the ground by the Germans in 1940s, dude.

Very well, Kal, I'll rephrase.

There are certain Senators in this body who want to do everything possible to prevent the new Libya from surviving.  It's disturbing, and I applaud those who understand the implications if this legislation is defeated or substantially modified.

You're certainly not going to get me to vote aye with that attitude.

It doesn't help that he's basically right. Why the hell else would a bill about giving a nation recovering from civil war just 100 million dollars actually have seven pages of debate? I don't understand all the hand wringing from the opposition here, but I do know that practically every time Ben has come to the Senate asking for anything, several of you have laughed in his face every time.

And if you're voting based on whether or not Ben upsets you, please re-evaluate the reasons why you vote for or against legislation.

If one is attempting to get support for their bill, lashing out with hyperbole isn't going to get anyone to switch your side. I personally find the whole "you're either with us or against us" neocon mentality tired and offensive.

There is no "with us or against us" mentality here, only a "grow the f**k up" attitude. Look, you can oppose this if you want, there is no harm in being honest about your position if you oppose the notion of aid to Libya. There isn't, however, legitimate reason for this constant handwringing and amending-to-death that's going on right now aside from the fact that this fits a pattern of you and Me Too trying to hold everything up that Ben wants for foreign affairs reasons. It's 100 million dollars, dude. We're not handing them the whole piggy bank.

This immature streak this Senate has had is the worst I've ever seen in my time in Atlasia and it has got to stop. I've never seen this Senate's direction so bent out of shape by personal grudges and immature amending, and when I have, it certainly never received near-unanimous bloc voting it's gotten from you, BRTD, and Napoleon. The debate in this bill perfectly epitomizes what is wrong with this Senate.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:12:20 PM »

What I want is for this Senate to do it's business genuinely and in good faith, and not prance around acting dishonestly and trying to use parliamentary stall tactics for no reason at all. This Senate has been negligent toward a whole host of issues, probably because we've been wasting time going to the mat over a 100 million dollar aid bill that someone is trying to hold up over alcohol or trying to turn it into a loan.

If you want to make this into some posturing position about how evil Marokai is at it again, running around the Senate halls with a hatchet, go ahead. But that's old. And the only time you're wasting is your own by keeping this bill on the floor a million times longer than it legitimately needed to be.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 07:27:35 PM »

Marokai is right we have too much debate.

Motion to table

Of course it won't pass. You can filibuster this bill by procedural tricks like this, but you're only keeping other bills from getting their consideration by occupying this slot forever.,

Just pass it.

Oh, I have a personal appeal to both bgwah and Marokai: shut up, guys. I don't give crap about your personal animosities, neither should the Senate.

/sigh, you're right. Fine fine. I just dislike that it seems like every aspect of Atlasian politics these days is driven less by actual ideological differences and more by personal and petty grudges. It's the most immediate problem we have.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 06:35:09 PM »

Nay.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States