SENATE BILL: Libyan Aid Bill (law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:59:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Libyan Aid Bill (law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Libyan Aid Bill (law'd)  (Read 7917 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: October 20, 2011, 04:27:04 PM »

We shouldn't be cutting military aid to the new government.  As the President, noted, prior legislation has no impact here.  I urge the Senate to pass this bill as is, or to increase the amount of aid; to do otherwise is irresponsible.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 05:08:34 PM »

The bill directs aid to be given to the Libyan Government.  The money can be monitored, but only so much can be done.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »

Thank you Senator Yankee.  It is imperative that we not remove military aid at this juncture; the NTC is a new government, one which still needs to fight for its survival.  It would be the height of irresponsibility for us to cut all military aid just because some of us have a stubborn belief that military aid is always bad.

Additionally, we should be increasing aid, not cutting it.  Some Senators are being very, very shortsighted.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 06:17:49 PM »

It does seem that some have a sort of visceral reaction to the world 'military' and don't consider the intent or the context.

This Senate has been extremely reactionary.  Not necessarily conservative, but reactionary nonetheless.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »

I guess we can blame George Bush for this. Wink He did basically create the next generation of militantly anti-military people in RL.

And here I was hoping office holders in Atlasia would be smarter than that.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »

I'm dead opposed.  It's absurd to make aid to a new nation conditional on legalizing alcohol.  Also, can we put the money cut from the military back in to something else?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 09:36:44 PM »

Why not?  Surely you aren't making a fiscal restraint argument here?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 10:08:14 AM »

I do find it odd that we are forcing our values on another country... I would be sure that most voting 'aye' on this wouldn't normally be in favour of that.

Indeed.  It is disturbing that some Senators are doing everything they can to defeat this bill, and severely weaken the new Libyan nation as a result.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 03:18:49 PM »

The authoritarian culture is the cause of the authoritarian government. Libya will never be free from tyranny until their culture becomes tolerant and accepting.

You are taking this way, way, way too far.  They will never be free from tyranny if they have stability issues because we decided the ability to drink was a paramount priority of our foreign policy, over ensuring stability and the survival of the state.

It is imperative that this dangerous Amendment be defeated.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 08:39:31 PM »

A culture of tyranny will always produce tyranny.

This is not a culture of tyranny.  I find it amazing how you will condemn this country to fail, rather than let them develop on their own time.  It disturbs me how you seem to have no idea what the actual results of your crusades will be.  You have already harmed the new nation's security; now you're trying to ensure its failure.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 08:53:14 PM »

I'm not really going to concern myself with propping up a theocracy. When your department starts sharing these concerns...well, I wont be holding my breath.

For someone who allegedly cares about freedom, you seem perfectly willing to discard any possibility of it happening.  The NTC government, the one that just won a civil war against a brutal dictator despite your attempts to prevent it from happening, needs our help.  It is counterproductive long term to condition aid at the beginning on such an insanely minor issue. 

We can work on those issues when you become rational, but I'm not holding my breath either.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 09:36:56 PM »

The current tally on the amendment is 4-4, with Snowguy & Officepark left.

Has the Amendment failed?  It's been more than 50 hours since there was any activity.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 06:23:48 PM »

Nay

Just pass this bill, already. Good Lord.

This Senate seems intent on doing everything possible to destroy any hope the new Libyan nation has of survival.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 01:11:16 PM »

"The Senate"? Collective responsibility meme was beaten to the ground by the Germans in 1940s, dude.

Very well, Kal, I'll rephrase.

There are certain Senators in this body who want to do everything possible to prevent the new Libya from surviving.  It's disturbing, and I applaud those who understand the implications if this legislation is defeated or substantially modified.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »

Just pass the damn bill!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 04:21:08 PM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »

Sorry. Sad I do want this bill to pass, but I must govern the Senate will full impartiality.

I'd desire nothing less Smiley  That message was for the Senate itself, not the Presiding Officer.

I urge the Senate to quickly dispatch the Motion to Table, and PASS THE DAMN BILL!!!  The time has come to step up and help Libya; rather than allow it to descend into chaos.

PASS THE DAMN BILL!!!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies