Politics of me. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:04:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  Politics of me. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politics of me.  (Read 4970 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: October 21, 2011, 01:10:55 PM »

We all react, in one way or another, to our backgrounds and experiences. And it's usually the latter that can explain why people from the same family often have such divergent political views. There's nothing wrong (absolutely nothing wrong at all) in talking about it, so long as you try to maintain a certain sense of self-awareness and try to fight against the temptation to head into solipsism. On balance I think you've done both, while also managing to say something about the society that you come from (even if that wasn't the intention).

I will now proceed to make random comments on and off for a while (perhaps).

What's that a reference to? I know there's a recent Australian novel with that name, so does it reference that, some political event or something else?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 08:26:29 PM »

Young people tend to want to get rid of the labels of left and right

Do they?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 10:26:35 PM »

Not all, but many tend to not like the labels...

And their parents all loved labels in that sense...? Hmm... if that was the case, how do we explain the rise of 'new' parties (of various shades of both politics and 'newness') in the 1970s and 1980s, many of which explicitly rejected labels like left and right? There is, of course, a tendency to assume that in 'the past' everyone knew what they were and thought, dressed, shopped, played and voted accordingly. It's not actually true though, even if such people were (obviously!) more common in 1951 than 2011.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies