any of you guys notice how in 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:39:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  any of you guys notice how in 2006
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: any of you guys notice how in 2006  (Read 997 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:24:20 PM »

despite being a sh!tty GOP year how a lot of republican incumbents retired and were replaced by people well to the right of them. I'm thinking of guys like Mike Oxley, Henry Hyde, Mark Kennedy, Joel Hefley, Butch Otter, Bill Thomas etc.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:26:25 PM »

The GOP's still increasing conservatism is what made 2006 such a bad year for them. It wouldn't have happened if they hadn't been moving that way for a few cycles already.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:16:26 AM »

Henry Hyde was replaced by someone to the right of him? I didn't think there was room to Hyde's right. Hefley was a flakey, Flake/Paul sort of guy. Actually so is his successor - but they don't like each other in the slightest. I forget who Oxley and Thomas were; true about Kennedy and Otter of course.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:11:44 AM »

Henry Hyde's lifetime ACU score was 82. He wasn't that bad. Roskam's lifetime rating is 98.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 11:22:08 AM »

Oxley was some boring dude from Ohio. Jim Jordan is his successor.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »

He authored one of the most well known pieces of legislation to date. Boring he wasn't.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 01:40:34 PM »

Yes, Jordan is much more conservative than Oxley was. In fact, he's been named the most conservative representative in the country a few times. Jordan is one of those "let's default" Tea Party types I generally disagree with. But he's also a very very good politician and was kept through redistricting despite his little fight with Boehner for the simple reason that no one wants to run against him, no one.

And of course, the Democratic Party has also moved to the left in recent years too. This is a game for two.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 03:35:14 PM »

The idea that the Republican Party is somehow so much more right-wing now is absolutely laughable.  Even ignoring their record, take the time to read through the 1996 Republican platform and explain how that's so much more "moderate" than they are today.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 11:28:43 PM »

He authored one of the most well known pieces of legislation to date. Boring he wasn't.

Oh yeah Sarbanes-Oxley. A very important piece of legislation no doubt, though I wouldn't say well known outside of accounting circles. And his only notable things, Sarbanes too was a pretty boring guy as well.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 10:32:22 PM »

Henry Hyde was replaced by someone to the right of him? I didn't think there was room to Hyde's right. Hefley was a flakey, Flake/Paul sort of guy. Actually so is his successor - but they don't like each other in the slightest. I forget who Oxley and Thomas were; true about Kennedy and Otter of course.

Bill Thomas was replaced by Kevin McCarthy. He then went directly to work as a Healthcare lobbyist.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies