Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:11:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 38
Author Topic: Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)  (Read 143885 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: August 22, 2012, 06:44:42 PM »

How many francophones are turned off by Marois' crassness? If I were Charest I'd be kissing her pictures; now all non-francophones and non-whites have an urge to vote for me.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #626 on: August 22, 2012, 06:51:46 PM »

How many francophones are turned off by Marois' crassness? If I were Charest I'd be kissing her pictures; now all non-francophones and non-whites have an urge to vote for me.

She backed off the language test crap once the outcry became too great but she's been language trolling ever since assuming the leadership 5 years ago. Appeasing the linguistic fanatics. And Charest's losing a chunk of non-Francos to Legault. Charest's boasting about his enforcement of the language laws while Legault wants even stricter enforcement- isn't like there's anyone defending Anglo rights among this gang.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #627 on: August 22, 2012, 08:05:56 PM »

isn't like there's anyone defending Anglo rights among this gang.

Obviously, defending the people who oppressed us for decades isn't a vote getter with French people.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #628 on: August 22, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »

This Legault-Marois debate is just as bad as the other 3 were. Shouting match and nothing new.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #629 on: August 22, 2012, 10:21:38 PM »

Huh? The CSQ won't endorse the PQ.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/elections-quebec-2012/201208/22/01-4567319-la-csq-dit-nappuyer-aucun-parti-puis-denigre-le-parti-liberal-et-la-caq.php

Debate: another yawnworthy shouting match.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/elections-quebec-2012/201208/22/01-4567331-legault-et-marois-pour-le-dernier-face-a-face.php

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #630 on: August 22, 2012, 11:23:38 PM »

That's disgusting race-baiting.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #631 on: August 22, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »

What is?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #632 on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:08 PM »

The previous post. Sure, I suppose than language-baiting is more accurate, but I doubt it's a word.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #633 on: August 22, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »

The previous post. Sure, I suppose than language-baiting is more accurate, but I doubt it's a word.
It was intended to mock Marois as being on par with oppressive dictators, not attacking anyone per se. Apologies if it was offensive.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #634 on: August 22, 2012, 11:50:24 PM »

It was intended to mock Marois as being on par with oppressive dictators, not attacking anyone per se. Apologies if it was offensive.

Well, Marois takes her positions because they is a public for that.
In any case, despite the Anglo opposition to language laws, the Franco population overwhelmingly support them.
canadian1
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -6.35

« Reply #635 on: August 22, 2012, 11:52:51 PM »

In any case, despite the Anglo opposition to language laws, the Franco population overwhelmingly support them.

Oh my! I wonder why that might be!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #636 on: August 23, 2012, 12:04:22 AM »

Historical reasons. The Anglophone minority ruled the economy of Québec until the 60's (for example, it was very hard to get a loan if you were French, the access to the high-ranking positions in businesses was blocked because they didn't talked English, many businesses were working in English only and customers were insulted if they talked French and were refused to be served....). Let's let than the Anglo minority abused their power and than this is the coilback.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #637 on: August 23, 2012, 09:26:21 AM »

It is quite odd.  The government should by no means be allowed to tell a women what to do with her body in the case of abortion, but they sure as hell should be allowed to tell me what language to speak in, and how to raise my children in terms of what school I should be allowed to put them in.  It's very fascinating.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #638 on: August 23, 2012, 10:16:26 AM »

I disagree; I think the government should be able to tell you what school to send your children. It's important for them to be educated the same way as everyone else so that they have the same opportunities. Exceptions are for special needs students of course.
canadian1
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -6.35

« Reply #639 on: August 23, 2012, 09:03:24 PM »

Historical reasons. The Anglophone minority ruled the economy of Québec until the 60's (for example, it was very hard to get a loan if you were French, the access to the high-ranking positions in businesses was blocked because they didn't talked English, many businesses were working in English only and customers were insulted if they talked French and were refused to be served....). Let's let than the Anglo minority abused their power and than this is the coilback.

That was sarcasm. It seems obvious to me that Francophones would support language laws that are meant to benefit only them.

Do you really think "coilback" is a legitimate justification for laws that, whatever their intended purposes, impose a significant burden on minorities?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #640 on: August 23, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »

That was sarcasm. It seems obvious to me that Francophones would support language laws that are meant to benefit only them.

Do you really think "coilback" is a legitimate justification for laws that, whatever their intended purposes, impose a significant burden on minorities?

There is no significant burden on minorities. Sure, it may require people to learn French, but honestly, it's logical to someone which immigrate in US to learn English. It's also logical for someone who immigrate in Quebec to learn French.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #641 on: August 24, 2012, 01:04:50 AM »

There is no significant burden on minorities. Sure, it may require people to learn French, but honestly, it's logical to someone which immigrate in US to learn English. It's also logical for someone who immigrate in Quebec to learn French.

The problem with your formulation is that those folks immigrated to Canada. If I spoke neither French nor English, and, was admitted to Canada, I would strive to learn English before French. That would be equally true even if I initially settled in Quebec.

In Israel you have a country that has the forms of democracy, but, not the substance of democracy since religious minorities can only vote for candidates that support the "Jewish" nature of the state rather than candidates that advocate their full political and religious equality. Passing laws demanding candidates kowtow to the "French" nature of Quebec is equally odious.

The folks in Quebec have every right to declare their independence from Canada. So far, they have failed to take that decision. Until they do, they are part of Canada, and, they, like the rest of Canada, share a duty to try to make bilingualism work. One set of highly provincial language laws in one Province, and, another inclusive language law for everyone else isn't going to go over well in the rest Canada, especially English-speaking Canada.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #642 on: August 24, 2012, 02:23:30 AM »

Well, no. Only New Brunswick is a bilingual province. All other provinces have only English as official language. While Canada is bilingual, the provinces are not.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #643 on: August 24, 2012, 02:48:22 AM »

The problem with your formulation is that those folks immigrated to Canada. If I spoke neither French nor English, and, was admitted to Canada, I would strive to learn English before French. That would be equally true even if I initially settled in Quebec.

This is eminently ridiculous. Canada is a bilingual nation. Immigrants to Quebec should be expected to learn French in the same way as immigrants to British Columbia should be expected to learn English.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #644 on: August 24, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »

News for map lovers! Interactive map fom La Presse website showing 2008 results. You can show map with old ridings or the new map ridings.

If you want to see the province with the new ridings and results by voting division, you click Section de votes 2008 in Superficies à colorier. You can change and check if you are with 2008 boundaries or new ones with the bar Avec bordures de circonscription at the bottom of the menu. 

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/elections-quebec-2012/carte-interactive-des-elections-provinciales-2008/
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #645 on: August 24, 2012, 08:27:41 AM »

Wow, great find!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #646 on: August 24, 2012, 08:30:12 AM »

Found 2 errors in the Chapleau riding where the Greens "won" massively while the Liberals got 1 or 0 votes in a safe Liberal ridings.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #647 on: August 24, 2012, 08:39:03 AM »

Sherbrooke riding poll (August 20-23) has PQ Cardin 45%, Charest 33%, CAQ 10, QS 7, ON 3, PV 2.  

http://www.lapresse.ca/la-tribune/sherbrooke/201208/23/01-4567733-charest-peine-a-retrecir-lecart-dans-sherbrooke.php

I would like to see results without undecideds because I guess they will break more Charest's way. QS + ON at 10% is still a potential for PQ to rally more anti-Charest vote.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #648 on: August 24, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »

Found 2 errors in the Chapleau riding where the Greens "won" massively while the Liberals got 1 or 0 votes in a safe Liberal ridings.

An error in data switiching Lib and Green I imagine. I hope the map is not full of mistakes.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #649 on: August 24, 2012, 10:06:41 AM »
« Edited: August 24, 2012, 10:12:34 AM by BigSkyBob »

This is eminently ridiculous. Canada is a bilingual nation. Immigrants to Quebec should be expected to learn French in the same way as immigrants to British Columbia should be expected to learn English.

Again, there is no such thing as "an immigrant to British Columbia." There are only immigrants to Canada. Any immigrant to any county ought to learn the local language. Since Canada is a bilingual nation, any immigrant to Canada ought to learn either English or French. I just happen to believe that learning English first has more utility to the immigrant, and is, thus, the rational choice.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies