Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:03:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 38
Author Topic: Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)  (Read 143902 times)
BigSkyBob

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: August 24, 2012, 10:59:16 AM »

Well, no. Only New Brunswick is a bilingual province. All other provinces have only English as official language. While Canada is bilingual, the provinces are not.

Well, yes. Again, the folks in the rest of Canada aren't going to be happy having to live under forced bilingualism at the federal level when the Province of Quebec systematically strips the democratic rights of English-only speakers there. That is especially true when many of those the linguistic majority is trying to accommodate overtly reject the concept of a united Canada in favor of separatism.

I have no problem with Quebec choosing independence. But, the reality is that Quebec has repeatedly chosen to remain a part of Canada. At a certain point, it is appropriate to tell the separatists to either defecate or relinquish the stall.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #651 on: August 24, 2012, 12:08:11 PM »

Hey, it's like you're writing the PQ's talking points for them.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #652 on: August 24, 2012, 01:05:28 PM »

Found 2 errors in the Chapleau riding where the Greens "won" massively while the Liberals got 1 or 0 votes in a safe Liberal ridings.

An error in data switiching Lib and Green I imagine. I hope the map is not full of mistakes.

It might not be La Presse's fault, but rather the fault of Elections Quebec. Once in a while you will see results from a poll that make no sense because someone somewhere a long the line switched the numbers. In this case, someone put the Liberal numbers in the green spot and vise-versa. I've seen it happen on the federal level too.  I remember watching the 2004 election, when Peter Mansbridge declared that the Marxist-Leninist Party was ahead in one of the Mississauga ridings due to a similar tabulation error.
canadian1
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -6.35

« Reply #653 on: August 24, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »

Found 2 errors in the Chapleau riding where the Greens "won" massively while the Liberals got 1 or 0 votes in a safe Liberal ridings.

An error in data switiching Lib and Green I imagine. I hope the map is not full of mistakes.

It might not be La Presse's fault, but rather the fault of Elections Quebec. Once in a while you will see results from a poll that make no sense because someone somewhere a long the line switched the numbers. In this case, someone put the Liberal numbers in the green spot and vise-versa. I've seen it happen on the federal level too.  I remember watching the 2004 election, when Peter Mansbridge declared that the Marxist-Leninist Party was ahead in one of the Mississauga ridings due to a similar tabulation error.

I remember that quite clearly!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #654 on: August 24, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »

Well, no. Only New Brunswick is a bilingual province. All other provinces have only English as official language. While Canada is bilingual, the provinces are not.

Well, yes. Again, the folks in the rest of Canada aren't going to be happy having to live under forced bilingualism at the federal level when the Province of Quebec systematically strips the democratic rights of English-only speakers there.

The rest of Canada is clearly not bilingual. Most of the English Canada is talking English only and its next to impossible to get any service or anything in French.
And no democratic right of non-French speakers is stripped. We even have most Quebec government forms in English, while some English provinces don't bother to translate their forms to French.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #655 on: August 24, 2012, 04:39:56 PM »

The problem with your formulation is that those folks immigrated to Canada. If I spoke neither French nor English, and, was admitted to Canada, I would strive to learn English before French. That would be equally true even if I initially settled in Quebec.

This is eminently ridiculous. Canada is a bilingual nation. Immigrants to Quebec should be expected to learn French in the same way as immigrants to British Columbia should be expected to learn English.

Again, there is no such thing as "an immigrant to British Columbia." There are only immigrants to Canada. Any immigrant to any county ought to learn the local language. Since Canada is a bilingual nation, any immigrant to Canada ought to learn either English or French. I just happen to believe that learning English first has more utility to the immigrant, and is, thus, the rational choice.

Bob, what you have to understand is that Canada for the most part is supposed, under the terms of its own foundational laws, to actually take federalism seriously in the realm of language.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #656 on: August 24, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »

Marois unveils her fiscal platform.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/elections-quebec-2012/201208/24/01-4568002-pauline-marois-devoile-son-cadre-financier.php

Legault: The Crown corporation heads might well get pink-slipped if I win.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/elections-quebec-2012/201208/23/01-4567751-francois-legault-quand-on-veut-des-changements-on-sentoure-de-gens-forts.php

Charest interview.

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/elections-2012/357620/titre
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #657 on: August 24, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »

How's it looking in Sherbrooke? Is Jean Charest pretty screwed? There have been two polls released showing him down double digits so I wanted to know if he's seriously in danger or if he could still pull it out.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #658 on: August 24, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »

TCTC now says he's down by 9. 2007 was a close call- so close that Radio-Canada mistakenly declared him defeated but he ultimately won on absentee/early votes. So don't jump to conclusions till the votes are counted. If defeated, it would be the first for an incumbent premier since 1976.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #659 on: August 24, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »

How's it looking in Sherbrooke? Is Jean Charest pretty screwed? There have been two polls released showing him down double digits so I wanted to know if he's seriously in danger or if he could still pull it out.

Let's say than Charest won't win by a big margin. If he wins, that will be quite close.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #660 on: August 24, 2012, 10:43:38 PM »

The poll has a 4% margin of error so the gap could not be as big. The result before undecideds is 38% Cardin, 28% Charest. Charest could take a bigger share of the 13% of undecided / don't want to answer. He leads with older voters who tend to vote more so he could gain a few percentages there too.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #661 on: August 25, 2012, 12:29:50 AM »

Well, yes. Again, the folks in the rest of Canada aren't going to be happy having to live under forced bilingualism at the federal level when the Province of Quebec systematically strips the democratic rights of English-only speakers there.

The rest of Canada is clearly not bilingual. Most of the English Canada is talking English only and its next to impossible to get any service or anything in French.
And no democratic right of non-French speakers is stripped.

The proposal, as I understand it, is to strip non-French speakers of the right to stand for office. Standing for office is clearly one of the fundamental democratic rights.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #662 on: August 25, 2012, 01:41:28 AM »

And no democratic right of non-French speakers is stripped.

The proposal, as I understand it, is to strip non-French speakers of the right to stand for office. Standing for office is clearly one of the fundamental democratic rights.

Oh, I was talking of current laws. Well, that law is clearly unconstitutionnal and will be throw out by courts and PQ knows it.
It's the purpose. To make the Québec look like a victim of a terrible English court.

I don't agree with that proposal, neither with the idea of Quebec "citizenship".
But, yes, if Quebec ever become a country, a Quebec citizenship will be obviously created and talking French could clearly be a condition to be given it. It wouldn't be the first country with such law.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #663 on: August 25, 2012, 03:40:10 AM »

Heard on radio, the Léger-QMI poll.

PQ: 33
CAQ: 28
PLQ: 27
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #664 on: August 25, 2012, 07:54:19 AM »

Heard on radio, the Léger-QMI poll.

PQ: 33
CAQ: 28
PLQ: 27

lol. Where does that put the FR poll?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #665 on: August 25, 2012, 07:55:14 AM »

lol Forum
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #666 on: August 25, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »

TCTC concludes that the odds of a PQ government are very high, just uncertain whether or not they'll cross the majority threshold.

They project PQ 64, PLQ 32, CAQ 27, QS 2. First time since 1970 that the second-place PV finisher does not form OO (then it was UN/PQ).

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #667 on: August 25, 2012, 11:05:24 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2012, 11:08:23 AM by Romney/Ryan 2012! »

Per Twitter, Parizeau is supporting Aussant personally but the PQ at large.

CAQ tries to sell their platform.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/elections-quebec-2012/201208/25/01-4568132-la-caq-veut-convaincre-les-quebecois-que-son-plan-est-realisable.php

Nuns' Island bridge has to be replaced. Duh.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/regional/montreal/201208/24/01-4568091-le-pont-de-lile-des-soeurs-devra-etre-remplace-des-que-possible.php

Marois interview.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/elections-quebec-2012/201208/24/01-4568074-entrevue-avec-pauline-marois-lhumilite-de-la-survivante.php

PQ wants higher taxes for the top bracket.

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/elections-2012/357765/titre

PLQ could come third.

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/elections-2012/357756/le-4-septembre-sera-t-il-un-jour-de-premiere
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #668 on: August 25, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »

Good ol' PQ and other pure laine types. Reminding me everyday why despite how Montreal is probably the closest major city to me, I will probably never visit it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #669 on: August 25, 2012, 12:23:28 PM »

Good ol' PQ and other pure laine types. Reminding me everyday why despite how Montreal is probably the closest major city to me, I will probably never visit it.

Politics aren't great but hey, we do have a nightlife to compensate. Wink
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #670 on: August 26, 2012, 08:28:21 AM »

On his twitter account, Léger lists 13 ridings with three way races.

Argenteuil, Laporte, Maskinongé, Nicolet-Bécancour, Soulanges, Trois-Rivières

Laval: Fabre, Laval-des-Rapides, Mille-Iles, Vimont
Quebec city: Jean-Lesage, Jean-Talon, Louis-Hébert
DL
Canada

« Reply #671 on: August 26, 2012, 09:01:45 AM »

It's not clear to me if Leger actually conducted riding polls in those seats or if is basing that on extrapolations of his poll results by sites like too close to call or 308.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #672 on: August 26, 2012, 11:09:18 AM »

Why would you never visit somewhere because of politics? Shallow.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #673 on: August 26, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »

It's not clear to me if Leger actually conducted riding polls in those seats or if is basing that on extrapolations of his poll results by sites like too close to call or 308.

I think it's based on his regional poll results and analysis of past results.
The Laval ridings listed have 20% or more people with mother tongue other than French which gives a good base to be competitive.

Louis-Hébert and Jean-Talon are held by cabinet ministers. Jean-Talon is considered a safe Liberal seat. The riding limits have changed though.

I wasn't expected to see Laporte (on the south shore of Montreal) in this list. Only 70% have French mother tongue. I looked at the result of 2007 that gave a liberal minority and Liberals won it 41-25-24.   
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #674 on: August 28, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »

No mention of today's Crop poll?

PQ 33%
CAQ 28%
PLQ 26%
QS 7%
ON 3%