Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:43:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 38
Author Topic: Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)  (Read 143800 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: July 13, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »

QS: A more left-wing, hardcore sovereigntist breakaway from the PQ.

For the record, unlike PQ, QS doesn't see the independance as a goal, but as a tool to implant its program.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #376 on: July 13, 2012, 10:43:16 PM »

I agree with Hebert. He's in trouble there.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #377 on: July 13, 2012, 11:17:20 PM »

I concur. Charest almost lost in 2007 and Sherbrooke is the city with the biggest percentage of students in Quebec. Some local businessman are angry at him, because students are a significant part of their clientele and the hike would reduce their other expenses, so they would buy less.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #378 on: July 13, 2012, 11:32:08 PM »

I concur. Charest almost lost in 2007 and Sherbrooke is the city with the biggest percentage of students in Quebec. Some local businessman are angry at him, because students are a significant part of their clientele and the hike would reduce their other expenses, so they would buy less.

Heh. Probably one of the few business owners to support the students. Smiley

I suppose it is fitting that Sherbrooke is represented by the youngest MP in Canadian history.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #379 on: July 14, 2012, 10:08:40 PM »

The PQ candidate in Sherbrooke is former Bloc MP Serge Cardin, so they have not chosen a sacrificial lamb.

The PLQ was the only party to oppose the proposal of having voting stations on campuses to increase youth voting. Without unanimity it won't happen this time.

I wonder if it will be difficult to get students coming study in Sherbrooke to register in that riding. I don't know what will be the dates for voting list revision and changes but if the election is Sept. 4, many students start classes August 27, it could be just when they are arriving in town. Not much time for student associations to inform them about voting rules. Students will have to change their permanent domicile address because there has been a rule change.  People like students will no longer be able to register on the list of electors of their temporary place of residence.   
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #380 on: July 14, 2012, 10:47:11 PM »

Question- Does Charest identify with the federal Conservatives or the federal Liberals? I know he was a PC Minister, 1993 survivor, and leader, but does he still hold ties with the Tories?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #381 on: July 14, 2012, 11:30:40 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2012, 11:36:02 PM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

many students start classes August 27

I don't know for Sherbrooke, but there will be 3 starting dates this year.
August 15 (for those those strike didn't end), September 4 and October 1st (for universities which want college people who will have graduated in Septemebr), depending of the striking.

In my case, I begin on October 1st, so, I'll vote in the swing Abitibi-Est and not the Liberal stronghold of Outremont, so, I won't complain.

For TexasD, no, his federal preference isn't known. Probably prefer the Tory party, but he has an awful relation with Harper.

EDIT: For Sherbrooke, there is lot of dates, mainly August 27 and September 10 and 17. September 4 and October 1 exist, but they are rare. And people which didn't finished the Winter semester will start even earlier.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #382 on: July 14, 2012, 11:35:53 PM »

Having an early September election is a good way to hinder the student vote. Coincidence?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #383 on: July 14, 2012, 11:40:35 PM »

Having an early September election is a good way to hinder the student vote. Coincidence?

Perhaps, but that can be explained another way.

Summer: Bad idea, people are annoyed by it.

September 10: Would put early voting during Labor Day weekend (early vote favor Liberals).

September 17: Rosh Hashanah, which is a Jew feast (they vote Liberal too).

After: The corruption inquiry commission is meeting again, which may hurt Liberals.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #384 on: July 15, 2012, 05:14:35 AM »

They stuck with him in '93, they'll stick with him now.

That was nineteen years ago. Things are different now: an excessively curly headed breath of fresh air he is absolutely not these days.
canadian1
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -6.35

« Reply #385 on: July 15, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »

They stuck with him in '93, they'll stick with him now.

That was nineteen years ago. Things are different now: an excessively curly headed breath of fresh air he is absolutely not these days.

100% agreed.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #386 on: July 16, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »

Again, everyone who's anyone has left this government.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-quebecoise/201207/16/01-4543879-pas-delections-pour-michelle-courchesne-et-monique-gagnon-tremblay.php
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #387 on: July 16, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »

Again, everyone who's anyone has left this government.

They will need to recruit cabinet material women candidates. Over one year, Courchesne, Gagnon-Tremblay, Beauchamp, Normandeau have left politics.

I have noticed over the last two weeks the PLQ has chosen many candidates who are town mayors or councillors.

I think the PQ needs some economic star candidate(s) to have more credentials in that area.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #388 on: July 23, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »

CAQ candidate in Chomedey dropped for accusing separatists of racism on Twitter.

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/quebec/355161/la-caq-limoge-un-candidat

Carres rouges weigh their options.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/as-quebec-election-looms-protesters-weigh-voters-wrath/article4434653/

6 ridings to watch.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/charests-fate-in-quebec-election-comes-down-to-these-six-ridings/article4435182/
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #389 on: July 23, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »

For the record, unlike PQ, QS doesn't see the independance as a goal, but as a tool to implant its program.

I think thats a HUGE distinction to make, and one thats especially lost on english/rest-of-canadian media, is it in PQ as well?

Any rate, isn't stopping QS from getting some strong candidates in place outside of Montreal...
http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/Politique/2012/07/19/006-elections-solidaire-couture.shtml

Outside of Mercier, Gouin and possibly Sainte-Marie--Saint-Jaques; i don't see QS winning anywhere else, but this is quebec and they will now have a place in the leaders debate so anything can happen... i'm hoping they surprise here in Ungava and win... a boy can dream Smiley
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #390 on: July 23, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »

I think thats a HUGE distinction to make, and one thats especially lost on english/rest-of-canadian media, is it in PQ as well?

Any rate, isn't stopping QS from getting some strong candidates in place outside of Montreal...
http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/Politique/2012/07/19/006-elections-solidaire-couture.shtml

Outside of Mercier, Gouin and possibly Sainte-Marie--Saint-Jaques; i don't see QS winning anywhere else, but this is quebec and they will now have a place in the leaders debate so anything can happen... i'm hoping they surprise here in Ungava and win... a boy can dream Smiley

No, the PQ wants independance for independance. And hopefully QS stay low. If they are high, it's a sure thing than Liberals are reelected.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #391 on: July 23, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »

QS will bleed support from the PQ, dunno what effect CAQ will have. This is our first four-cornered election since 1970. Difference is that the third/fourth parties are nowhere near strong enough to collapse un des deux like the Creditistes/Peqs did then. What they can do is deprive Marois of victory.

My early prediction: at least a 50-50 shot of the winner losing the popular vote.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #392 on: July 23, 2012, 02:34:57 PM »

Well, I think than CAQ will hurt Liberals more than PQ.

In other news, PQ announced its candidate in my riding. Unknown, but a strong resume.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #393 on: July 23, 2012, 06:41:38 PM »

Court of Appeal rejects the students' petition.

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/quebec/355175/sursis-pour-la-loi-78-la-cour-d-appel-rejette-la-demande-des-etudiants
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #394 on: July 23, 2012, 11:12:16 PM »

I'm quite astonished by the Liberal candidate in Rouyn-Noranda--Témiscamingue, a seat than they currently hold.
A 24 year old girl, which isn't living in Abitibi anymore and whose main achievement is apparently participating in a UN simulation.
I don't really think it is a good candidate to defend a swing seat.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #395 on: July 24, 2012, 05:44:42 AM »

Clearly they've looked at what happened in 2011 and drawn the wrong conclusions.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #396 on: July 24, 2012, 08:43:46 AM »

Speaking of student candidates.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-quebecoise/201207/23/01-4558296-leo-bureau-blouin-candidat-du-pq.php
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #397 on: July 24, 2012, 09:33:36 AM »

Is anyone surprised? The PQ (and QS) was out there and very visibly supportive of the students, whether that was politically motivated or ideologically, the point was they were there.

Laval-des-Rapides was one of the ridings to watch mentioned in the Globe articule
"... Laval-des-Rapides has also voted with the governmnet since its creation before the 1981 election."
So there is a chance he could win if the PQ manages to win gov't

Its odd that in both these cases, the parties chose young candidates... thats something i see normally not reserved for swimg/battle ridings. Thats something you see in a) super safe ridings or b) no-chance-in-hell ridings... but Quebec bucks the trend eh Smiley

With QS, i am hoping for a 2011-NPD repeat but... thats me; with 4 leaders in the debate, it sure will be interesting and might mean more gains for both CAQ and QS (Kadir was ranked at one point the most popular politician, but no guarantee he would even represent the party in the debate, might pass that to David to help her out in Gouin).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #398 on: July 24, 2012, 09:40:46 AM »

On paper Marois should be cruising. The fact that she's level-pegging says a lot.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #399 on: July 24, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

QS winning more than two seats barring some phenomenal surge which seems quite unlikely, would be a massive upset and anybody who seriously thinks they could win more than 2 at this point is certainly delusional or a hack who should smell the coffee. I seriously doubt the QS vote will end up being 9-10% on election day anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies