Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:07:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)  (Read 143878 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: October 25, 2011, 03:03:48 AM »

What is green?

And I don't see Liberals keeping my riding Abitibi-Est. They lost it in 2007 and won it by only 250 votes in 2011.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »

any word on when that by-election will be?

It was called for December 5th.

According to Radio-Canada (http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/est-quebec/2011/11/02/003-gaspesie-les-iles-bonaventure-elections.shtml)

CAQ won't run a candidate.
Liberal candidate in Damien Arsenault, mayor of the municipality of Saint-Elzéar, 500 inhabitants.
QS candidate Patricia Chartier, staffer of the NDP MP for Gaspésie--Îles-de-la-Madeleine, Philip Toone.
The PQ candidate will be chosen on November 6. Only one person wants to be the PQ candidate right now, Sylvain Roy, sociology teacher in a college at Carleton-sur-Mer and former municipal councillor at Escuminac.
No name from ADQ yet.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 03:21:24 PM »

Indeed. I can't find a word strong enough to describe my shock.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 12:48:59 AM »

Greens will run Jean Cloutier, vice-president of the Green Party.
He was the federal Green Candidate in Louis-Saint-Laurent (Québec City) in 2008 and 2011.

He is a public servant and a former member of Bloc executive in Québec-Est and Louis-Saint-Laurent. He also was on the executive of Vanier PQ, founder of the first executive of Vanier ADQ.

He now is in both Green parties.
He also was the spokeperson of the young group of "Progrès Civique de Québec", a candidate for "Action civique de Québec" and was a candidate to be the candidate of "Défi vert de Québec" (Green Challenge of Québec) in the last mayoral election.

All that according to his very lenghly bio on the federal Greens website.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:43:34 AM »

According to Radio-Canada, ADQ candidate in Bonaventure is Georges Painchaud.
He was the liberal candidate in Vachon (southern suburbs of Montreal) for provincial Liberals in 2008.
He was also the leader of the Policemen Fraternity of Montreal (the policemen union in Montreal) from 2001 to 2005.

He lived all his life and still live in Montreal area.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 08:34:30 PM »

Gouin was one of their two targets. Françoise David, one of their co-leaders stood there (and will again stood there next election).

No candidate in NdG because it was the best result of the Green Party in 2007.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 08:50:35 PM »

From those maps, their vote look very urban.

It even highlight where cities are in rural areas.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 01:11:49 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2011, 01:17:12 AM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

Last week, a Segma/Le Soleil poll of the by-election in Bonaventure was published (401 persons, ±4,9%).

Damien Arsenault (PLQ): 52%
Sylvain Roy (PQ): 36%
Patricia Chartier (QS): 6%
George Painchaud (ADQ): 5%

Note than there is also a Green running and than people have until Saturday to fill a candidature form.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 12:33:10 PM »

Pauline is going insane.

She expelled an MNA on Tuesday for perhaps being a mole.
She expelled another MNA on Thursday for thinking to join another party.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 04:28:03 PM »

Pauline is going insane.

She expelled an MNA on Tuesday for perhaps being a mole.
She expelled another MNA on Thursday for thinking to join another party.

Remarkable. A mole? Really? Is the Tinker Tailor film out in Canada yet?

http://www.cjad.com/CJADLocalNews/entry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10317692
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 12:00:54 PM »

Ugh, the Regressists are polling 3rd there.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 03:56:28 PM »

QS isn't progressive.
With their proposals, they would kill some industries, like mining and tourism.
Their economical policies are flirting with communism and they put environment above all, even workers.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 10:05:27 PM »

QS isn't progressive.
With their proposals, they would kill some industries, like mining and tourism.
Their economical policies are flirting with communism and they put environment above all, even workers.
that IS left-wing and progressive.
So-called progressive, because that is regressist.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 08:31:14 PM »

From the wild swings, it seems than the riding is quite polarized.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »

I live in a mining area and what they propose is unworkable.

Well, the whole idea of "reformed definitions of growth, production and consumption" is unworkable, since Quebec isn't isolated from the rest of the Canada/world.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 01:14:12 PM »

I live in a mining area and what they propose is unworkable.

Well, the whole idea of "reformed definitions of growth, production and consumption" is unworkable, since Quebec isn't isolated from the rest of the Canada/world.

Interesting, how so? unworkable that is? i'm curious as an urban guy and not from a mining area.

I think trying to develop an internal economy that is self-suffcient can only help when, as now, times get tough. But its hard for any region in the world to do that... but "don't let them tell you it can't be done" LOL

I agree, but mining can't be self-sufficient. We don't extract all those minerals for our own use.
And giving the powers to regulate mines to cities and counties is a very bad idea. They don't have the expertise to deal with that.

And their other idea is lowering grants and raising money given to government. They will just go elsewhere. Sure, that will be great for environment...
Government should increase imputability and transparence and force consultations of the local population and raise a little bit the "redevances", but, PQ proposal is exagerated and would only depress the industry and the economy.

One sentence is telling on their website. It says it wants to end "mining boom" for a slower mining development.
It is ridiculous. It would be like saying to a company "Sorry, too many plants opened this year, come back next year".
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »

Somebody in my family says that her home province is stupid, she'll be proved correct if they reelect the Mafia King St. John the Baptist.

Is the Platitude King who destroyed our K-11 system any better? I think not.

I never insinuated or meant that, they all suck, but Johnny is probably the worst.

I concur.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »

Also, read in the Gazette today that Legault is adamantly opposed to loosening the workplace provisions in Loi 101.

Why he would commit suicide with Franco voters?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »

Also, read in the Gazette today that Legault is adamantly opposed to loosening the workplace provisions in Loi 101.

Why he would commit suicide with Franco voters?

He probably knows it's good economics but bad politics.

But he doesn't care. Legault is a empty guy running on an empty program.
Only vague ideas, nothing concrete.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 04:15:51 PM »

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-quebecoise/201112/14/01-4477797-il-ne-reste-que-2521-membres-a-ladq.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B4_manchettes_231_accueil_POS4

So, summary.

There is 2521 members left in ADQ.
Only those will be able to vote in the postal vote about merger (except those whose membership elasped in the 90 last days, which is around 200 persons).

People will receive ballots between Januany 2 and 6 and must return them before January 17.
Results will be announced in a press conference on January 22.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »

Another resignation.

David Whissell, MNA for Argenteuil since 1998, resigned today, officially to do other things. Opposition parties are saying than it is probably to escape the ethics rules beginning on January 1st. He is an owner of a big paving company. He prefered resigning as Labour Minister than to sell it, a few years ago.

Last time it didn't elected a Liberal was 1962. Another riding with a significant Anglophone minority. It is also the riding of the Green leader.

Results since Whissell is elected (according to the apparently dead quebecpolitique website):

June 1998 by-election
Liberals: 57%
PQ: 38%
ADQ: 5%

November 1998
Liberals: 42%
PQ: 42%
ADQ: 13%
Others: Bloc Pot (marijuana) 1.2%, Ind 0.7%, Natural Law 0.3%, PDS (the remainers of the NDP-Quebec) 0.3%
Finally, Whissell is relected by 148 votes.

April 2003
Liberals: 53%
PQ: 25%
ADQ: 18%
Greens: 2.1%
Bloc Pot: 1.2% (yes, again)

March 2007
Liberals: 38%
ADQ: 30%
PQ: 26%
Greens: 4.7%
QS: 2.3%

December 2008
Liberals: 50%
PQ: 33%
ADQ: 11%
Greens: 3.5%
QS: 2.1%

A map is in the works, before someone asks.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 06:34:39 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2011, 10:30:48 PM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

Here is a map!
Not Argenteuil, but the precinct results of Bonaventure!

So, what to say?

QS got very good results in Maria, above 20% in some precincts, even tying the Liberals for second in one precinct.

The grey precinct is a PQ-Lib tie.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2011, 02:28:53 PM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

Here is Argenteuil.

Diverse and complicated riding.

Many Anglos rural small villages, even if some are less and less Anglo (Gore Township, Wentworth-Nord), in the lower Rouge Valley and along Ottawa River.

Some villages which isn't really in Argenteuil area, which are more in the Laurentians, with the Highway 15 as the big axis and are more French (Saint-Adolphe-d'Howard, Montcalm), including a very rich Liberal ski and spa resort, despite being Francophone (Morin Heights).

A regional center (Lachute) which is more and more exurban.

Mille-Isles and Saint-Colomban, which are very very near of the city of Saint-Jérome which has a commuter rail (train de banlieue) leading directly in Montreal downtown. So, Saint-Colomban, formely a rural village, is now a boring exurb.
Talking of Saint-Colomban, the ADQ was second in half the precincts of the "parish" (which is a legal status for little villages). Liberals being third, in those, with pretty awful result in some precincts (the worst by 13%).

Grey precincts are Lib-PQ ties.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 02:26:45 PM »

Oh, I spotted a typo in my last post.
I wanted to write than Saint-Colomban is a booming exurb, which is quickly expanding.

I suppose than this typo is telling much about my opinion about suburbs/exurbs...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 03:57:17 PM »

Well, yes. Results are boring, but the area is interesting, being at the border between Montreal suburbs, the Laurentides and the Anglo Western Quebec.

That riding would be to PQ on the pre-2003 borders, I think. (They removed Mirabel from Argenteuil then, to make a new riding based on Mirabel. Said riding voted PQ in 2003, ADQ in 2007 and PQ in 2008.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies