Italian General Election 2012 ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:41:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian General Election 2012 ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Italian General Election 2012 ?  (Read 26292 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2011, 02:08:40 PM »

Berlusconi about to resign, at 20:30 CEST. The House passed his austerity bill earlier this afternoon.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2011, 03:46:37 PM »

It's official.

Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2011, 04:35:58 PM »

I find it funny how in Italy left-wingers support majority and right-wingers support PR, while it's more or less the contrary everywhere else.

In Sweden as well. The Social Democrats historicly favourd single-member constituencies, while the centre-right has been strongly opposed. Considering the political geography of the country it's hardly surprising though 
DL
Canada

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »

Re: Berlusconi - all I can say is DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!!
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2011, 11:39:59 PM »

God am I enjoying these moments.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2011, 11:46:27 PM »

I find it funny how in Italy left-wingers support majority and right-wingers support PR, while it's more or less the contrary everywhere else.

In Sweden as well. The Social Democrats historicly favourd single-member constituencies, while the centre-right has been strongly opposed. Considering the political geography of the country it's hardly surprising though 

This is one of those lists that gets longer and longer to the point at which... ah... maybe it is not such an obvious general rule after all...
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2011, 03:15:29 AM »

This is one of those lists that gets longer and longer to the point at which... ah... maybe it is not such an obvious general rule after all...

Well that was sort of what I wanted to acomplish. I don't think there is a general rule that the right supports unproportional electoral systems and the left proportional, rather I'd say the general rule is that political parties will support the system that would benefit them the most. It's not really an ideological issue. 
DL
Canada

« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »

Are the any polls out showing how Italy might vote in an election now that "Caligula" has resigned?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »

From earlier this month:

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2011, 12:47:19 PM »

Well that was sort of what I wanted to acomplish. I don't think there is a general rule that the right supports unproportional electoral systems and the left proportional, rather I'd say the general rule is that political parties will support the system that would benefit them the most. It's not really an ideological issue. 

Indeed. And I was agreeing with you. Hey, the harder parts of the Labour Left have traditionally been ardent supporters of fptp.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2011, 12:58:50 PM »

Indeed. And I was agreeing with you. Hey, the harder parts of the Labour Left have traditionally been ardent supporters of fptp.

Good, we're in agreement. Next step, take over the world Evil 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2011, 02:32:57 PM »

I fear the PdL will try to spin the new situation in order to pretend they are in the opposition and gain a few points. I doubt it could significantly change things, though. People are fed up of Berlusconi.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2011, 05:15:53 PM »

Without this Majority Prize thing, Vendola and Di Pietro could get more votes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2011, 10:23:52 PM »

Only leading by ten? That's pathetic.

By the way, I read earlier today that Berlusconi is entertaining the idea of being a figure in the next campaign. It seemed like he'd either be the real force behind Alfano (I believe the Telegraph compared him and Alfano to Putin and Medvedev) or - get ready for it - that he'd actually be the candidate. I'm guessing that he's probably just acting out of habit, still craving the spotlight and not actually serious about doing it.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2011, 11:06:16 PM »

Berlusconi plans were to get Presidency in 2013, where he would be real power. Vendola and Di Pietro are in position to pressure Bersani in exchange for power positions. Austerity measures only can be passed if PD compromises with PdL, if new elections are hold by now.
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2011, 05:06:30 AM »

The central point for the centre-right is whether it will be reunited or not, with Berlusconi not being the central figure now. Today Fini said that there could  be not anymore a Third pole, without Berlusconi, and a reunification. In perspective this is the future, but we don't know when
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2011, 08:26:38 AM »

This is the last poll I've seen, from Nov. 8:

New polls should be out really soon.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2011, 09:21:42 AM »

No party or coalition has ever won with a bigger percentage since the times of Democrazia Cristiana...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »

No party or coalition has ever won with a bigger percentage since the times of Democrazia Cristiana...

But the election isn't being held today.  Wink

Today Fini said that there could  be not anymore a Third pole, without Berlusconi, and a reunification.

Yes! Cheesy

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2011, 12:31:10 PM »

And if this reunification of the Right is for real, the Left's lead is down to five.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2011, 01:18:55 PM »

The right reunifying would require Berlusconi clearly abandoning it (not just stepping aside and propping up his buddy Alfano) as well as some significant strategy change (giving less room to Lega, to be clear). It can happen, but not if PdL keeps acting as it has in these last days.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2011, 01:28:57 PM »

The right reunifying would require Berlusconi clearly abandoning it (not just stepping aside and propping up his buddy Alfano) as well as some significant strategy change (giving less room to Lega, to be clear). It can happen, but not if PdL keeps acting as it has in these last days.

I don't think Fini would comment on reunification unless Berlusconi was clearly out of the picture. Hopefully, they address the Lega Nord issue, too.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2011, 01:47:58 PM »

That might be harder than it looks.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2011, 01:49:27 PM »

What's that? Putting a leash on Lega Nord? Of course it will be difficult. I'm just saying that it should be done.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2011, 01:51:22 PM »

What's that? Putting a leash on Lega Nord? Of course it will be difficult. I'm just saying that it should be done.

The problem is that they might respond to leashing with 'fyck off'. As you know.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies