Obama less regulatory than predecessors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:01:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama less regulatory than predecessors
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama less regulatory than predecessors  (Read 1489 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:25:48 AM »
« edited: October 26, 2011, 10:27:52 AM by Dale Cooper »

Obama Wrote 5% Fewer Rules Than Bush While Costing Business
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-25/obama-wrote-5-fewer-rules-than-bush-while-costing-business.html

I do believe that some of the cost of business has to do with the economic environment that the nation has been in for the past few years.
Jacobtm

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 04:00:15 PM »

Republicans continue to make up complete B.S..

Democrats continue to not challenge it.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 05:42:13 PM »

So the regime informs us we should be grateful Obama is attempting to enforce economic totalitarianism at a 5% slower rate than Bush?  Give thanks, citizen!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 06:15:15 PM »

Regulation cost is generally underestimated because they don't include the discouragement regulations place on businesses from starting or expanding.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 07:18:18 PM »

Regulation cost is generally underestimated because they don't include the discouragement regulations place on businesses from starting or expanding.

But this is comparing the Bush administration to the Obama administration. It doesn't have anything to do with any underestimation of regulatory costs. Basically Obama has been the same as previous administrations, as opposed to what we hear at Republican debates.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »

A lack of start up capital seems to me to be a bigger issue for the entrepreneur than government regulation. It is probably harder to start a business today than it was in 2005 because there is just no loose capital begging to be taken for investment. The walls are growing ever higher for entry into the castle. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 10:10:13 PM »

But this is comparing the Bush administration to the Obama administration. It doesn't have anything to do with any underestimation of regulatory costs. Basically Obama has been the same as previous administrations, as opposed to what we hear at Republican debates.
Maybe, but there's really not enough information in the article to say how this comparison was made. My sense is the figures they are citing for both administrations are much too low. And then you have things like the health care reform law, which was been legislated, but we aren't seeing the regulation costs yet due to the implementation timeline.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 12:43:18 AM »

So the regime informs us we should be grateful Obama is attempting to enforce economic totalitarianism at a 5% slower rate than Bush?  Give thanks, citizen!

Please give me some indication of what an economic system would be that you would not consider totalitarian and which would also not lead to millions of people dying in gutters. Yes, even in the short term before we attain an Ideal Society. Yes, even 'leeches'.

I'm seriously dying to know.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 02:00:12 AM »

You personally have nothing to fear, unless there is enacted some kind of regulation about tin-foil hats.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 04:40:53 PM »

Obama has also deported far more illegal immigrants than Bush.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »

Please give me some indication of what an economic system would be that you would not consider totalitarian and which would also not lead to millions of people dying in gutters. Yes, even in the short term before we attain an Ideal Society. Yes, even 'leeches'.

wormyguy is a troll. Ignore him.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »

Certainly.  I would consider the economic system that has never led to "millions of people dying in gutters" but rather to an agricultural revolution that has boosted the Earth's human life carrying capacity tenfold to be the superior option.  On the other hand, the economic system which has universally led to mass starvation and "millions of people dying in gutters" wherever it has been applied to its logical conclusion, knowing of no other solution than to arrest (or shoot) farmers for "profiteering" by refusing to sell their produce at below cost, is a horrible one.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 06:53:53 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2011, 07:02:34 PM by Nathan »

So the regime informs us we should be grateful Obama is attempting to enforce economic totalitarianism at a 5% slower rate than Bush?  Give thanks, citizen!

Certainly.  I would consider the economic system that has never led to "millions of people dying in gutters" but rather to an agricultural revolution that has boosted the Earth's human life carrying capacity tenfold to be the superior option.

A mixed economy that strategically and pragmatically employs tariffs, or (in non-Western societies, which you don't seem to realise have historically existed) command economies to a greater or lesser extent that didn't make a policy of mass murder? Completely and totally agreed.

Also, I said even in the short term, before we attain an Ideal Libertarian Paradise. Say we slash everything tomorrow to be replaced by nothing. What happens to the poor?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 09:59:37 PM »

If people want to play that game (I would argue that they shouldn't), then Liberal Capitalism (big letters absolutely essential) led pretty much directly to the deaths of millions as a result of famine in various British colonies (often ones starting with the letter 'I' for some reason) in the 19th century.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »

If people want to play that game (I would argue that they shouldn't), then Liberal Capitalism (big letters absolutely essential) led pretty much directly to the deaths of millions as a result of famine in various British colonies (often ones starting with the letter 'I' for some reason) in the 19th century.

And it also was the economic system that was in place before and during the time in Europe in the 1920s and 1930s when certain...ahem..."parties" gained power as a reaction against  the threat of Communist revolution.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 10:50:04 PM »

And it also was the economic system that was in place before and during the time in Europe in the 1920s and 1930s when certain...ahem..."parties" gained power as a reaction against  the threat of Communist revolution.

I was going to go in a less negative direction and point out that the other agricultural revolution, the one that led to people developing two-thirds of the vegetal foodstuffs now consumed by mankind without even using writing or the wheel, took place in the sort of environment that the flyers on my campus from the lovely people at the Ayn Rand Institute refer to as 'mystical, primitive, collectivist darkness', where people, for example, regularly burned over huge sections of the San Joaquin Valley to do immense communal breeding experiments.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 07:53:20 PM »

They don't challenge it because they prefer Bush to be defined as a deregulator. You can't say Obama has wrote fewer regs then Bush, yet criticise Bush's "deregulation" for causing the recession.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »

They don't challenge it because they prefer Bush to be defined as a deregulator. You can't say Obama has wrote fewer regs then Bush, yet criticise Bush's "deregulation" for causing the recession.

Very good point. The Democrats are in no political position to be criticizing anyone, unless they'd like the spotlight to really be focused on them. Any gripes they may have with the Republicans could easily be pinned on the Democrats' willingness to accept complete political failure. And as you pointed out, in some cases embracing it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »

Sometimes just one regulation can have a big impact. Heck, Boeing can't go to South Carolina. How much waste is that one little NLRB ruling costing?  It must be billions and billions.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Late-Victorian-Holocausts-Famines-Making/dp/1859843824

Pretty great book.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies