Israel general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:38:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 74
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 227154 times)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: February 13, 2018, 02:19:34 PM »

HOO BOY

I dont usually follow Israeli politics, but Bibi graduated from my high school. This is fun.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1351 on: February 13, 2018, 02:27:21 PM »

Finally: The police recommends the indictment of Bibi on 2 bribe charges.
This is going to be tasty

Any chance he's not indicted now?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1352 on: February 13, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »

it remains to be seen, officially we need to wait for the decision of the attorney general. But public opinion could be harsh if Bennet or Kachlon won't demand his head right now.

some facts:
- the sum of money in the first bribe case is 1 million NIS (around 12 times the sum Olmert went to jai for)
- Bibi did not refute this claim in his speech, but rather claimed he did not provide anything in return
- Lapid is a witness in one of the cases as he claimed Bibi wanted to pass a legislation giving tax breaks to "returning citizens" for 10 years while he was the Minister of the Treasury
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1353 on: February 13, 2018, 02:31:45 PM »

Finally: The police recommends the indictment of Bibi on 2 bribe charges.
This is going to be tasty

Any chance he's not indicted now?
Yes, If Mendelblit decides to close the case or reduce the charge from full on bribery. From what I can read from the evidence this is unlikely, especially in the Bibi-Moses charges.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a big military operation soon, or a snap election to force Mendelblit's hands
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #1354 on: February 13, 2018, 03:16:59 PM »

it remains to be seen, officially we need to wait for the decision of the attorney general. But public opinion could be harsh if Bennet or Kachlon won't demand his head right now.

some facts:
- the sum of money in the first bribe case is 1 million NIS (around 12 times the sum Olmert went to jai for)
- Bibi did not refute this claim in his speech, but rather claimed he did not provide anything in return
- Lapid is a witness in one of the cases as he claimed Bibi wanted to pass a legislation giving tax breaks to "returning citizens" for 10 years while he was the Minister of the Treasury

sverkol

« Reply #1355 on: February 14, 2018, 12:10:29 PM »

some facts:
It isn't a conflict of interests? will court accepted that?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1356 on: February 14, 2018, 01:58:24 PM »

Israeli Poll Shows 48% Want Netanyahu To Resign vs 36% Against
By Jonathan Ferziger
(Bloomberg) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud Party would still come in first if new elections are called, winning 26 seats in the 120-member Knesset, followed by 22 for the Yesh Atid party, 15 for Labor, according to a poll conducted for Hadashot TV News.

Wow .. after all this Likud is still ahead of Yesh Atid
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1357 on: February 15, 2018, 04:11:01 AM »

some facts:
It isn't a conflict of interests? will court accepted that?
Depends on the content of the testimony, if it’s official documents from the treasury I don’t se why not, if it’s verbal testimony Lapid must had something to support it according to the local law of evidence

Kachlon and Bennet day they won’t resign until the attorney general decides. It could take months.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1358 on: February 18, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2018, 02:36:28 PM by Hnv1 »

News:
- Bibi's criminal woes intensifies as case 4000 about alleged corrupt relations with the owner of Walla! internet media hub reach a boiling point. Two of his top advisers were arrested (Nir Hefetz among them) and the police are racing forward

- Meretz primaries registration is over, final tally is just over 30K which is quite remarkable considering a. Labour had 55K during their leadership primaries b. there were 165K Meretz voters last GE. Zandberg had an impressive machine working, and Galon got lots of Arabs registered, Gilon also didn't sleep. It's going to be interesting.

- 2 new justices are to be appointed to the SCoJ, one is going to be prof. Alex Stein who is pushed by Shaked (mildly liberal in a conservative sense, but not so right wing). The other will be one of 5 District Court Judges, most liberal is prof. Grosskopf, most conservative is probably Winograd of Jerusalem (though an impressive person)  

- Quasi decriminalization of cannabis is moving forward, consumers will be criminalized only after 4 misconducts.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #1359 on: February 18, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »

HOO BOY

I dont usually follow Israeli politics, but Bibi graduated from my high school. This is fun.

Wait what? How?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1360 on: February 18, 2018, 05:39:16 PM »

HOO BOY

Wait what? How?
He went to school in the Philly suburbs
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1361 on: February 20, 2018, 06:30:41 AM »

Well, when things fall apart the pace is accelerating. Bibi's top adviser who's now under arrest is now believed to have offered a sitting judge the position of an attorney general if she closes the criminal cases against Sarah Netanyahu. Bibi denies any knowledge but this is not all that different than the Bar On-Hebron scandal of his first tenure
sverkol

« Reply #1362 on: February 21, 2018, 12:26:11 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2018, 12:50:55 AM by sverkol »

Gabay admitted that the falling of the Labour party on the polls is part of his fault,now he should step down and give to a real leader the chance to beat the corrupt Likud government.
My offer is Tzipi Livni-smart,talented,charismatic,experienced and beautiful women.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1363 on: February 21, 2018, 05:00:03 AM »

Well, when things fall apart the pace is accelerating. Bibi's top adviser who's now under arrest is now believed to have offered a sitting judge the position of an attorney general if she closes the criminal cases against Sarah Netanyahu. Bibi denies any knowledge but this is not all that different than the Bar On-Hebron scandal of his first tenure

Yep, and now there's another top advisor and former CEO of the Communications Ministry who will be a state witness against Netanyahu in the investigation about him giving Bezek (a communications firm) owner Shaul Elovitch benefits in exchange for better coverage in the media firm he owns at the same time, Walla. We now see in full light how corrupt the system of government-media barons is.
It's actually quite ironic- Netanyahu's obsession with media coverage will take him down, while he could've stayed on as PM for years more, bad coverage or not, if not for these investigations.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1364 on: February 21, 2018, 05:50:40 AM »

Yep, and now there's another top advisor and former CEO of the Communications Ministry who will be a state witness against Netanyahu in the investigation about him giving Bezek (a communications firm) owner Shaul Elovitch benefits in exchange for better coverage in the media firm he owns at the same time, Walla. We now see in full light how corrupt the system of government-media barons is.
It's actually quite ironic- Netanyahu's obsession with media coverage will take him down, while he could've stayed on as PM for years more, bad coverage or not, if not for these investigations.
Waiting to see who’s the first Likud minister to show him the door
sverkol

« Reply #1365 on: February 21, 2018, 06:31:37 AM »

Waiting to see who’s the first Likud minister to show him the door
No one,the are all cowards,all the Likud ministers and MK's.
Exept Hazan who is a joke anyway.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1366 on: February 21, 2018, 07:53:00 AM »

Gabay admitted that the falling of the Labour party on the polls is part of his fault,now he should step down and give to a real leader the chance to beat the corrupt Likud government.
My offer is Tzipi Livni-smart,talented,charismatic,experienced and beautiful women.
The leader of the ZU must be the leader of the Labour party. As to her appearance, I don't see how that's relevant, Shaked is rather attractive yet I would rather have Hazan as PM.

Well the news is all doom and gloom today with everyone asking when instead of if he should resign\be forced out. I think it will take a while but when it does it will be similar to the last 2 days, one crack in the dam and the coalition with his premiership will be dead and we'll have a snap election.
sverkol

« Reply #1367 on: February 21, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »

The leader of the ZU must be the leader of the Labour party. As to her appearance, I don't see how that's relevant, Shaked is rather attractive yet I would rather have Hazan as PM.

Well the news is all doom and gloom today with everyone asking when instead of if he should resign\be forced out. I think it will take a while but when it does it will be similar to the last 2 days, one crack in the dam and the coalition with his premiership will be dead and we'll have a snap election.
If Livni would decide to run separately from the Labour,she has my vote.
I am not ready to support right-winger even if he is from my party.
Snap election isn't going to happean! Kahlon made it pretty claer.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1368 on: February 21, 2018, 05:43:28 PM »

If Livni would decide to run separately from the Labour,she has my vote.
I am not ready to support right-winger even if he is from my party.
Snap election isn't going to happean! Kahlon made it pretty claer.

Livni isn't that much of a leftist either. I respect her, but she was a classical Likud member once, then she was a centrist, then she joined Netanyahu's government (and sat with Bennett) and now she's in an alliance with Labour. That's not a particularly leftist record.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1369 on: February 22, 2018, 08:09:09 AM »

So, uh, is this, like, actually happening? Is Bibi finally leaving the premiership once and for all? This is surreal.
It will be a while still but legally I can’t see him escaping indictment now let alone actual jail time. I would caution that he’s going to burn every bridge and create every constitutional crisis he can along the way. Likud voters don’t care much for this anyway so they’ll support him even if he’s charged with murder. they are really the lowest form of citizens, I have more fruitful discussions with JH voters
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1370 on: February 22, 2018, 03:23:45 PM »

So, uh, is this, like, actually happening? Is Bibi finally leaving the premiership once and for all? This is surreal.
It will be a while still but legally I can’t see him escaping indictment now let alone actual jail time. I would caution that he’s going to burn every bridge and create every constitutional crisis he can along the way. Likud voters don’t care much for this anyway so they’ll support him even if he’s charged with murder. they are really the lowest form of citizens, I have more fruitful discussions with JH voters
But wouldn't he become toxic to Likud's chances in the next election? I say this because here we had, and still have, a similar situation involving the former PS PM José Sócrates. At the beginning almost everybody in the PS, except Costa, supported him and tried to defend him but as time passed, and the proofs became more and more irrefutable, the support some PS members were giving him was, in part, damaging the PS in the polls, leading to their defeat in the 2015 elections.

My point is that Bibi could become a liability to the party, but how powerfull is the Likud "establishment" in order to force him out in a way to save their chances in the next elections?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1371 on: February 22, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »

But wouldn't he become toxic to Likud's chances in the next election? I say this because here we had, and still have, a similar situation involving the former PS PM José Sócrates. At the beginning almost everybody in the PS, except Costa, supported him and tried to defend him but as time passed, and the proofs became more and more irrefutable, the support some PS members were giving him was, in part, damaging the PS in the polls, leading to their defeat in the 2015 elections.

My point is that Bibi could become a liability to the party, but how powerfull is the Likud "establishment" in order to force him out in a way to save their chances in the next elections?
A. The Likud electorate don't care much for rule-of-law and ethical issues here. The heartland doesn't understand much of the legal gibberish anyway and for them Bibi is being hunted down by the leftist elite. If elections were to come I suspect we'll only see a little dip for them.
B. The Likud establishment is crushed after years of his rule. all the pretenders try to keep as quiet as they can
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1372 on: February 22, 2018, 04:05:41 PM »

Unfourtunately, Israel isn't Portugal. It appears like you have an electorate with some morals that cares about corruption and wants its leaders to be... well, not criminals who act like mob leaders. In Israel, sadly, the electorate has been incited to see evil leftists everywhere- the media, the judiciary branch, and now even the police. For them, it's all the evil leftist elite trying to hunt their King. This is ironic, considering that of all people, Jews should know to recognize scapegoating and hatemongering. Hopefully I'm wrong, but this is my feeling about our political system right now, and why I find American politics more interesting. There's no hope in the end of the tunnel, not at the moment.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #1373 on: February 22, 2018, 05:00:33 PM »

Unfourtunately, Israel isn't Portugal. It appears like you have an electorate with some morals that cares about corruption and wants its leaders to be... well, not criminals who act like mob leaders. In Israel, sadly, the electorate has been incited to see evil leftists everywhere- the media, the judiciary branch, and now even the police. For them, it's all the evil leftist elite trying to hunt their King. This is ironic, considering that of all people, Jews should know to recognize scapegoating and hatemongering. Hopefully I'm wrong, but this is my feeling about our political system right now, and why I find American politics more interesting. There's no hope in the end of the tunnel, not at the moment.

And considering that the strongest opposition is the incredibly spineless Lapid, I have no doubt that even in the snap election, Likud will be the largest party and probably will form a government.
sverkol

« Reply #1374 on: February 22, 2018, 05:27:32 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2018, 05:31:07 PM by sverkol »

And considering that the strongest opposition is the incredibly spineless Lapid, I have no doubt that even in the snap election, Likud will be the largest party and probably will form a government.
Even if YA will be the largest party,Lapid still can't build coalition and Gabay turns out to be a complete joke,we are going to suffer from a Likud govermont for a very long time.
Thank you Shelly Yachimovich!
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies