Israel general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:11:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 74
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 227142 times)
sverkol

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: April 28, 2018, 03:49:47 PM »

Why would Yisrael Beiteinu be corrupt?
numerous corruption allegations related to the party mechanism and municipal branches. A Chairman that escaped conviction oמ very shaky grounds and still hadn't explained half a million dollars that just popped into his daughters bank account. Numerous former MKs heading to jail on corruption charges.

There has never been and never will be 90 MKs who'll support impeachment without any criminal charges. And it will definitely not pass the supreme court that tends to look away from inner house processes but has its limits.
Few NK's Labour arleady supported the impeachment bill against Basel Ghattas.
And i wouldn't be surprised if phony Gabbay will support it either.

You do remember that Ghattas had criminal charges against him, right?
Netanyahu is also face a criminal charges and i don't see someone want to impeach him.

This is irrelevant. Netanyahu is not yet convicted of any crime and evidence is not 100% clear. Ghattas was literally filmed smuggling phones into a prison.
What about the recordings in case 2000?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1551 on: April 28, 2018, 03:52:57 PM »

numerous corruption allegations related to the party mechanism and municipal branches. A Chairman that escaped conviction oמ very shaky grounds and still hadn't explained half a million dollars that just popped into his daughters bank account. Numerous former MKs heading to jail on corruption charges.

There has never been and never will be 90 MKs who'll support impeachment without any criminal charges. And it will definitely not pass the supreme court that tends to look away from inner house processes but has its limits.

Netanyahu is also face a criminal charges and i don't see someone want to impeach him.

This is irrelevant. Netanyahu is not yet convicted of any crime and evidence is not 100% clear. Ghattas was literally filmed smuggling phones into a prison.

...I'm not saying Bibi is not guilty. You know I don't like him one bit. But even with the recordings and all the other overwhelming evidence, there's no 100% way of saying "he did a crime" without judicial conviction. Ghattas was filmed doing a crime, so there was a reason he was arrested immediately after the Knesset revoked his immunity.
sverkol

« Reply #1552 on: April 28, 2018, 04:01:23 PM »

...I'm not saying Bibi is not guilty. You know I don't like him one bit. But even with the recordings and all the other overwhelming evidence, there's no 100% way of saying "he did a crime" without judicial conviction. Ghattas was filmed doing a crime, so there was a reason he was arrested immediately after the Knesset revoked his immunity.
And still the impeachment bill is undemocratic and should not be used in any case.
All the Labour's MK that supported it lost my vote in the primary.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1553 on: April 30, 2018, 05:28:24 PM »

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/palestinians/saudi-prince-palestinians-should-shut-up-or-make-peace-1.6036624

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I wonder if there's a chance Netanyahu will start negotiating an official peace deal with the Saudis... as officially Israel has yet to make peace with the Saudis...
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1554 on: May 07, 2018, 11:29:33 AM »

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Culture/Japanese-PM-Abe-served-offensive-shoe-dessert-at-Netanyahu-dinner-553671

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And here's a photograph of the offending dessert:

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1555 on: May 08, 2018, 02:57:40 AM »

Our leadership is so unhinged and stupid that they let the dumb celebrities surrounding and fawning over Bibi shame us across the world. It's time for a figurative purge, especially in our currently disgusting leading party- I'd be glad if 90% of the Likud just goes away and lets us start anew.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1556 on: May 08, 2018, 05:06:34 AM »

Our leadership is so unhinged and stupid that they let the dumb celebrities surrounding and fawning over Bibi shame us across the world. It's time for a figurative purge, especially in our currently disgusting leading party- I'd be glad if 90% of the Likud just goes away and lets us start anew.
Woke.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1557 on: May 08, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »

Woke.

I'm not woke in almost any way- just tired of the sheer incompetence and terrible populism of our leading party Tongue
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #1558 on: May 12, 2018, 06:28:26 PM »

Netanyahu and Likud getting a boost from Trump's Iran Deal decision. Bleh. I was hoping I'd get to see a left-wing government this decade, I guess not.

At least one good thing, though; if Levy-Abekasis and her party continue to rise, Liberman and his goons may fall below the threshold. Hopefully she refuses to work with Netayahu.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1559 on: May 12, 2018, 11:43:26 PM »

Netanyahu and Likud getting a boost from Trump's Iran Deal decision. Bleh. I was hoping I'd get to see a left-wing government this decade, I guess not.

At least one good thing, though; if Levy-Abekasis and her party continue to rise, Liberman and his goons may fall below the threshold. Hopefully she refuses to work with Netayahu.

Heh, unlikely. My only hope is that Netanyahu gets indicted and his spell gets broken.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1560 on: May 13, 2018, 12:17:40 AM »

Heh, unlikely. My only hope is that Netanyahu gets indicted and his spell gets broken.

Levy seems pretty (or vaguely) left-wing on economics – I wonder if she may find herself more keen to ally with ZU than Likud.

Of course, I'm not holding out hope for this Sad .

Well, her party isn't very different than Lapid's (pre-falling out with Bibi) or Kahlon's- they'd work with any of the major parties if that gave them power.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1561 on: May 13, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »

Anyway, so you've won Eurovision. I see the BDS Brigade aren't happy.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #1562 on: May 13, 2018, 04:17:35 PM »

Israeli football club renames itself in honor of Trump:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/jerusalem-soccer-team-to-be-renamed-beitar-trump/
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1563 on: May 14, 2018, 03:48:17 PM »

Bibi should really gallop for an early election. Lapid is falling to bits, Gabay is uncertain on what he needs to do, his poll position is an all time pick (not since Sharon did Likud poll so highly). and he caan get a renewed mandate before any indictment (not to mention maintain a weakened Bennet and Liberman)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1564 on: May 14, 2018, 03:55:44 PM »

This has probably been explained already, but who exactly does Orly Levy represent? Is she just Lieberman rebooted?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1565 on: May 16, 2018, 09:06:25 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2018, 09:18:43 AM by DavidB. »

Bibi should really gallop for an early election. Lapid is falling to bits, Gabay is uncertain on what he needs to do, his poll position is an all time pick (not since Sharon did Likud poll so highly). and he caan get a renewed mandate before any indictment (not to mention maintain a weakened Bennet and Liberman)
So which pollsters are better and which ones are worse? They were pretty good in 2015, I recall (of course tactical voting happened but you can't blame pollsters for it), but I still haven't figured this out.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1566 on: May 16, 2018, 09:20:08 AM »

This has probably been explained already, but who exactly does Orly Levy represent? Is she just Lieberman rebooted?

No, not really. Lieberman's brand is Putin-esque strongmanship appealing to Russians and right-wingers, Levy's brand is of a compassionate social-democrat who only cares about economic issues while being a bland centrist on all other issues. She'd cooperate with anyone.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1567 on: May 16, 2018, 06:49:51 PM »

I have a question, if Israel used FPTP do you think Bibi would still be PM or would he be defeated . Also how do you think the next election with FPTP would go
danny
Israel

« Reply #1568 on: May 16, 2018, 09:34:30 PM »

I have a question, if Israel used FPTP do you think Bibi would still be PM or would he be defeated . Also how do you think the next election with FPTP would go

On current polls it's hard to see Bibi losing under any system, but in general it would depends on which parties would run and which parties would merge.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1569 on: May 17, 2018, 10:11:21 AM »

Really a matter of who does the gerrymandering. But it will benefit Labour as they could get more seats from the rural seats and squeeze out YA and Meretz in a lot of places. But Israel is already very much divided population-on-land wise so I don’t suppose it will change that much part for a bump to Likud and Labour
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1570 on: May 17, 2018, 10:23:29 AM »

Does anyone know why Israel's birthrate is the highest (and still rising) in the developed world? 
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #1571 on: May 17, 2018, 10:51:34 AM »

Does anyone know why Israel's birthrate is the highest (and still rising) in the developed world? 

There are relatively higher birth rates among Israeli Arabs and very high birth rates among Haredim.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1572 on: May 17, 2018, 11:02:37 AM »

There are relatively higher birth rates among Israeli Arabs and very high birth rates among Haredim.

It's definitely a factor (and also a huge demographic problem, especially the Haredim, my opinion of whom is well-known), but not the only factor. If I remember correctly, the birthrates amongst completely secular Jewish couples are also comparably high, standing at something like 3 children. Why? I don't know, perhaps it's a psychological reason of Jewish fear of extinction, or the "pls reproduce" part of the Jewish religion influencing society? Maybe the fact that many secular Jews originate in Muslim-majority or just generally conservative societies? Idk.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1573 on: May 17, 2018, 11:05:04 AM »

Statistics about birth rates in Israel are always iffy because they are so politically charged, but I found this article to be quite informative. It's definitely not just Arabs and Haredim (whose birthrate has actually declined over the previous decades, rapidly in the first case).
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #1574 on: May 17, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »

Statistics about birth rates in Israel are always iffy because they are so politically charged, but I found this article to be quite informative. It's definitely not just Arabs and Haredim (whose birthrate has actually declined over the previous decades, rapidly in the first case).

Thanks for this – it's a great article.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies