Israel general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:12:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 74
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 227330 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: June 19, 2018, 01:08:13 PM »

Energy infrastructure is something that doesn't change very quickly after all.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1601 on: June 19, 2018, 09:23:06 PM »

If the Israeli "energy" portfolio is anything like the American one, then at a minimum he could tell the Iranians how much fissile materiel the Israelis had in 1995 and how much they could make per year. Knowing how much they need to defend against if they ever got into a potential nuclear exchange with Israel is not entirely useless knowledge as it lets them know how good of an air and missile defense system they would need before considering the use of nukes themselves.

Probably some other more immediately useful info as well.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1602 on: June 20, 2018, 05:29:38 AM »

If the Israeli "energy" portfolio is anything like the American one, then at a minimum he could tell the Iranians how much fissile materiel the Israelis had in 1995 and how much they could make per year. Knowing how much they need to defend against if they ever got into a potential nuclear exchange with Israel is not entirely useless knowledge as it lets them know how good of an air and missile defense system they would need before considering the use of nukes themselves.

Probably some other more immediately useful info as well.
You're miles of the mark on what interests the Iranian here. But I can't go further.

anyway, nuclear energy is governed by the a council which seats under the PM, not the energy ministry, and I doubt Segev memorized it for so long even if he had the knowledge (which I also think a oood intelligence agency could get a crude assessment by looking at over evidence)
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1603 on: June 22, 2018, 05:21:03 AM »

Herzog is now out of official politics as he's being appointed as the head of the Jewish Agency (to the annoyance of Big Brother).
As he was the leader of the opposition in the house the job is now vacant, I suppose Gabay will give it to Livni to appease her
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1604 on: June 22, 2018, 05:24:05 AM »

Herzog is now out of official politics as he's being appointed as the head of the Jewish Agency (to the annoyance of Big Brother).
As he was the leader of the opposition in the house the job is now vacant, I suppose Gabay will give it to Livni to appease her
So their alliance is really going to remain a thing?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1605 on: June 22, 2018, 07:23:38 AM »

So their alliance is really going to remain a thing?
Do they really have a choice? She'll probably agree to another joint run in exchange to the job. Meretz will probably vote with them so they'll have the votes needed
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1606 on: June 22, 2018, 01:21:57 PM »

What does the Jewish Agency do these days?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1607 on: June 22, 2018, 02:24:11 PM »

What does the Jewish Agency do these days?
Raise funds, ceremonial roles, maintain links with the Jewish world. A comfortable job basically
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1608 on: June 22, 2018, 04:36:10 PM »

Thanks.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1609 on: June 25, 2018, 08:38:30 PM »

Yair Lapid spoke in D.C. today at the Brookings Institution. Was impressed by some of his comments. I think he is finally starting to grasp on how to talk about foreign affairs. Still needs some work, though.

Also, I like the decision to put Herzog at the Jewish Agency, despite me being a Likudnik and Bibi supporter. That being said, I'll miss Natan Sharansky deeply.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1610 on: June 26, 2018, 12:01:48 AM »

Yair Lapid spoke in D.C. today at the Brookings Institution. Was impressed by some of his comments. I think he is finally starting to grasp on how to talk about foreign affairs. Still needs some work, though.

Also, I like the decision to put Herzog at the Jewish Agency, despite me being a Likudnik and Bibi supporter. That being said, I'll miss Natan Sharansky deeply.

Yeah, Herzog has a great profile for that and it's about time people realized the right doesn't have a monopoly on zionism. It's also time American Jews showed Netanyahu that his alliance with the Haredi parties, who deny that most of them are even Jews, and the heavy discrimination against Reform and Conservative Judaism in Israel is unacceptable to them. There's no reason the Jewish Agency supports a government that hates many of their members.
danny
Israel

« Reply #1611 on: June 26, 2018, 05:24:56 AM »

Replacing Herzog in the Knesset will be Robert Tiviaev who has previously been part of Israel Beitenu Kadima and The Movement, before running in the Labour primaries before the last elections. However, his party switches haven't ended as he left the Labour party a few months ago and was planning on rejoining Beitenu before he realised that he will get in under the ZU list. It seems Tiviaev plans to become a ZU MK anyway but does say that he wouldn't vote for the ZU if the elections were today.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1612 on: June 26, 2018, 06:39:41 AM »

Question - would the Joint List parties be up for being part of a Labour-led coalition government?
danny
Israel

« Reply #1613 on: June 26, 2018, 06:42:31 AM »

Question - would the Joint List parties be up for being part of a Labour-led coalition government?

No
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1614 on: June 26, 2018, 11:11:20 AM »

confidence and supply if the government would be in some substantial peace negotiation and would be willing to move on some local palestinian issues. as neither is likely (as is a Labour government) it's purely theoretical.

* in that case I suppose Balad would drop out of the list

You must be logged in to read this quote.
any party willing to guarantee spots to candidates according to identity deserves this.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1615 on: June 27, 2018, 04:00:24 AM »

The ZU is all but dead atm, Livni doesn’t want to run under Gabay and unless Ganz steps in I can’t see how it lasts. Labour itself is on the verge of collapse, Herzog jumped ship and Nachman Shay will soon follow. Shaffir is checking her options by running in a new list. And reports today say the leftist MKs in Yona, Baalol, Svetlova, and Ben-Reuven are contemplating splitting and joining Meretz (the law says you need 1/3 of a party to split, meaning they’ll need more defectors).
Peretz and Cabel are fighting him on internal politics. So basically it’s all falling apart there.

Goodbye and good riddance
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1616 on: July 08, 2018, 10:45:30 AM »

UAE officials in Israel to look at F35s...like, "officially" and stuff.  Good news, yes?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1617 on: July 08, 2018, 04:49:50 PM »

Panels poll (current seats in brackets):

35 [30] Likud
17 [11] Yesh Atid
12 [13] The Joint (Arab) List
11 [24] Zionist Union
10 [08] Bayit Yehudi
08 [06] Yahadut Hatorah/UTJ
07 [05] Meretz
06 [10] Kulanu
05 [05] Yisrael Beitenu
05 [01] Orly Levy
04 [07] Shas
00 [–-] Yachad, Yaalon, Zehut (as other) under threshold
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1618 on: July 08, 2018, 06:11:31 PM »

The problem with the adage that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is that such friendships rarely last once the common enemy has been dealt with.  Then there's the fact that the UAE is a demographic time bomb even worse than Israel with almost 90% of the population being foreign workers.  The Emirates are not stable in the long-term. Forging ties with the Emirs might help Israel a little in the short term vis-a-vis Iran but it certainly doesn't do anything to advance the cause of Arab-Israeli peace.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1619 on: July 09, 2018, 01:53:11 AM »

Panels poll (current seats in brackets):

35 [30] Likud
17 [11] Yesh Atid
11 [24] Zionist Union
10 [08] Bayit Yehudi
07 [05] Meretz
06 [10] Kulanu
05 [05] Yisrael Beitenu
05 [01] Orly Levy
04 [07] Shas

Can you highlight the current government parties please?
danny
Israel

« Reply #1620 on: July 09, 2018, 01:56:55 AM »

Can you highlight the current government parties please?
35 [30] Likud
17 [11] Yesh Atid
11 [24] Zionist Union
10 [08] Bayit Yehudi
07 [05] Meretz
06 [10] Kulanu
05 [05] Yisrael Beitenu
05 [01] Orly Levy
04 [07] Shas
EPG
« Reply #1621 on: July 09, 2018, 01:22:13 PM »

(the law says you need 1/3 of a party to split, meaning they’ll need more defectors).

What does this mean? Can they quit, join the party and keep the seats? I know these splits were widespread earlier in Israel's history when the parties were often incredibly general and undifferentiated by policy.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1622 on: July 09, 2018, 02:05:08 PM »

(the law says you need 1/3 of a party to split, meaning they’ll need more defectors).

What does this mean? Can they quit, join the party and keep the seats? I know these splits were widespread earlier in Israel's history when the parties were often incredibly general and undifferentiated by policy.

If less than 1/3 of the MKs leave the party, they lose their Knesset seats and get replaced by the next people on their old party's list.

Yes, this isn't how it used to be. They passed a law in the last decade to prevent the constant party switching/fracturing.

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1623 on: July 09, 2018, 02:23:42 PM »

If less than 1/3 of the MKs leave the party, they lose their Knesset seats and get replaced by the next people on their old party's list.

Yes, this isn't how it used to be. They passed a law in the last decade to prevent the constant party switching/fracturing.

Couldn't they instead just sit as independents and then run as a new party at the next election? Isn't that what Orly Levy did?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1624 on: July 10, 2018, 06:49:09 AM »

Couldn't they instead just sit as independents and then run as a new party at the next election? Isn't that what Orly Levy did?
You can but there’s a sanction, you don’t get funding and you can’t run in any existing party (that’s why she has to form a party and run solo until the end).

I would also point that the phenomena of floor crossing was widespread between the 70’s and the 90’s during the mini political realignment and due to the absurdity of the low threshold
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies