Israel general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:38:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 74
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 225004 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »

Yesh Atid are not left. They are libertarians. They are horrible.
Yesh Atid might be described as Liberal or more accurately a party of non ideology sponsored by the rich and the old school establishment
Yesh Atid is essentially Yair Lapid's vehicle and nothing more.  It has no ideology. 
I think you overrate Yair Lapid's intelligence, he's ultimately the puppet not the puppeteer

Yep, trick some left-wingers into voting for a party that literally every serious commentator knew was going to support a Netanyahu government.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #226 on: January 25, 2014, 04:24:43 PM »

What are the major differences between Yesh Atid and Hatnuah? Are they both supposed to be centrist parties with a strong touch of personalism?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #227 on: January 25, 2014, 04:44:02 PM »

The main difference during the campaign was that Hatnuah said several times unequivocally that they would never support a Netanyahu government (they did soften their language a few days before the election).

Yesh Atid basically planned to be in the Netanyahu government from the start. Although they did go back and fourth, making noise about whether or not they would allow Shas to be in government with them.

Right now, with them both in government, it's basically all personality.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #228 on: January 26, 2014, 04:07:39 AM »

What are the major differences between Yesh Atid and Hatnuah? Are they both supposed to be centrist parties with a strong touch of personalism?
Ideologically Hatnuah had a more Dovish lean with Livni-Mitzna-Peretz at the top and a somewhat left economically lean too whilst Yesh Atid were vague on everything.

Politically, Lapid is a rather dumb individual that a group of powerful people (like the owner of Israel biggest newspaper and a crook, Arnon Moses; or the owner of channel 2 plus a group of very wealthy businessmen), Lapid's emphasis from the start was to talk about the Israeli middle class (though most of his voters are upper middle class) and establish him self as distant from the left or right tags of Israeli politics, something akin to extreme centrism.
Livni will probably link up with Herzog next time around.

Honesty note: I regard Yesh Atid and its leader very poorly I cannot find even one good thing to say about either them or their conduct. 
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2014, 02:28:58 AM »

New poll, unsure by who:

18 [--] New Netanyahu Led Party

17 [20] Likud

16 [15] Labor

16 [12] Bayit Yehudi

11 [06] Meretz

10 [19] Yesh Atid

07 [07] Yahadut Hatorah/UTJ

05 [11] Yisrael Beitenu

05 [11] Shas

04 [06] Movement

04 [04] Hadash

04 [04] Ra’am-Ta’al

03 [03] Balad

00 [02] Kadima

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/176860#.Uun-mLS6obR

http://knessetjeremy.com/category/knesset/polls/
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2014, 07:32:58 AM »

Also, who would break away with Netanyahu?

I'm guessing Rubi Rivlin and Tzachi Hanegbi would be the only sure bets. Maybe Yisrael Katz? Livnat???
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2014, 09:10:03 AM »

I'm guessing Rubi Rivlin and Tzachi Hanegbi would be the only sure bets. Maybe Yisrael Katz? Livnat???
Rubi Rivlin?! I guess following Israeli politicas from afar is difficult. Rivlin loaths Netanyahu and is very very hawkish (though liberal sort of) no way will he break away from the Likud. If I have to wager who will break away I'll name: Hanegbi, Livnat, Steinitz, Gamliel, and Haim Katz. Arden\Shalom will break if the political gain will be very high.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2014, 11:09:45 AM »

Is Bibi pulling a Sharon a serious possibility?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2014, 11:56:08 AM »

From what I understand, I didn't think a full-on new Netanyahu party was a possibility -- I thought Netanyahu wanted to take himself and a few loyal defectors (like Gamliel/Steinitz) into Yisrael Beiteinu and crown Lieberman as his successor. I didn't think Netanyahu personally had the sort of appeal to personally create a new party and come in first, like that poll shows.

Netanyahu strongly backed Rivlin being replaced with Edelstein as Knesset Speaker after the 2013 election.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2014, 03:42:31 PM »

Is Bibi pulling a Sharon a serious possibility?

It's being seriously talked about.

I personally doubt it will happen.

Whatever peace deal Netanyahu ends up signing is going to be so historically insignificant it will hardly justify the energy on either the pro- or anti-Netanyahu side.
danny
Israel

« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2014, 09:37:58 AM »

What media exactly is controlled by the left? I'm hearing this myth over and over, Haaretz is a left-wing newspaper in a legitimate way (not hiding its opinions) and channel 10 are vaguely lefty. Bar for them (which are both smaller scale media outlets) the entire media is centre-right.
Yediot Ahronot-Channel 2 is a centrist media bloc supporting Yesh Atid and maybe the centre part of Labour nothing from the left there, Channel 1 is fringe right wing and recent years and Israel Hayom is the Likud herald (which is legitimate). Clearly this 'the Left control the media' is a myth.

Regarding the courts it's pretty much BS as well, the courts have some commitments to humans rights (as stated by Israeli law) but bottom line the courts are mainstream Zionist, and as a lawyer I can tell you the people with solid right wing\left wing opinions will most likely not be selected for judge positions. 95% of judges in Israel are in Likud-Labour spectrum. Anyone with legal knowledge and understand the left positions will tell you it's a fable that does not correspond with reality and the supreme courts actual verdicts.

Overall more BS from the right to nurture your myth of traitors from within.

I don't agree with a lot of what you wrote but don't really feel like getting in to all of it. Just to point out that what decides what is written has more to do with the individual journalists opinions and general media writing conventions than anything else. As it happens most journalists are on the left, so that is what you get. That is how you get people like Segal and Abramovich to both be on channel 2. their reporting looks very different, and their opinions whoever happens to own the news channel.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2014, 12:50:52 PM »

What media exactly is controlled by the left? I'm hearing this myth over and over, Haaretz is a left-wing newspaper in a legitimate way (not hiding its opinions) and channel 10 are vaguely lefty. Bar for them (which are both smaller scale media outlets) the entire media is centre-right.
Yediot Ahronot-Channel 2 is a centrist media bloc supporting Yesh Atid and maybe the centre part of Labour nothing from the left there, Channel 1 is fringe right wing and recent years and Israel Hayom is the Likud herald (which is legitimate). Clearly this 'the Left control the media' is a myth.

Regarding the courts it's pretty much BS as well, the courts have some commitments to humans rights (as stated by Israeli law) but bottom line the courts are mainstream Zionist, and as a lawyer I can tell you the people with solid right wing\left wing opinions will most likely not be selected for judge positions. 95% of judges in Israel are in Likud-Labour spectrum. Anyone with legal knowledge and understand the left positions will tell you it's a fable that does not correspond with reality and the supreme courts actual verdicts.

Overall more BS from the right to nurture your myth of traitors from within.

I don't agree with a lot of what you wrote but don't really feel like getting in to all of it. Just to point out that what decides what is written has more to do with the individual journalists opinions and general media writing conventions than anything else. As it happens most journalists are on the left, so that is what you get. That is how you get people like Segal and Abramovich to both be on channel 2. their reporting looks very different, and their opinions whoever happens to own the news channel.
Firstly, I'm against calling every journalist pro two state solution a lefty, second of the editor has a lot of power that influences the individual writer (see what Sima Kadmon writes in Yediot compared to her honest beliefs) and due to the fact that bar Haaretz which properly states its opinions, in most pieces the headlines and the article itself are set according to the "spirit of the commander" ak the editor, hence the writer's opinion is pretty much insignificant.
Neither Yediot or Channel 2 could מםא be described lefty or left leaning even if you calculate the (exagharated) number of leftist reporters. pro 2 state is not enough to be labled left.It's a view shared by the centre and even parts of the right.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »

How many Likud MPs would support a two-state-plan? Would someone of Beitenu support it? What about Shas and UTJ would someone support it? I'm asking this because it's kind of difficult to say that there are rightists (although I would not call the Haredi parties actually right, social conservatives maybe) that support a two-state-solution.

Which MKs from the right would follow Netanyahu course of accepting a Palestinian State?
danny
Israel

« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2014, 07:31:13 AM »

Haaretz poll:

Likud Beitenu: 37
Labour: 15
Jewish Home: 15
Yesh Atid: 14
Shas: 9
Meretz: 9
UTJ: 7
RAAM-TAAL: 5
Hadash: 4
Balad: 3
The Movement: 3
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #239 on: April 11, 2014, 10:38:13 AM »

Knesset Channel poll from yesterday:
Likud Beitenu - 32
Labour 19
Yesh Atid - 13
JH - 13
Kachlon - 13
Meretz- 12
UTJ - 7
Shas -7
Hadash - 4
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »

Not a poll but the extra-parliamentary Am Shalem (Whole Nation) party, which won 1.2% in the last election, merged with Likud. It previously looked like they were going to merge with The Jewish Home but their leader, former Shas MK Haim Amsalem, said The Jewish still took too hard a line on regulating conversions.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #241 on: April 14, 2014, 09:17:06 AM »

Not a poll but the extra-parliamentary Am Shalem (Whole Nation) party, which won 1.2% in the last election, merged with Likud. It previously looked like they were going to merge with The Jewish Home but their leader, former Shas MK Haim Amsalem, said The Jewish still took too hard a line on regulating conversions.
Considering half of his voters were secular or even lefties who believed his BS about a moderate orthodox (oxymoron?) I think this has little impact.

Yediot Ahronot poll
1. Liberman and Bibi split and this includes the returning Kachlon-
Likud - 22
Labour - 16
JH - 11
Yesh Atid - 10
Liberman - 10
Meretz -10
Kachlon - 10
Shas  - 8
United arabic list - 8
UTJ - 7
Livni - 4
Hadash - 4

2. Liberman and Bibi remain united-
LB - 29
Labour - 16
JH - 12
Kachlon - 11
Yesh Atid - 10
Meretz - 10
Shas - 9
United Arabic parties - 8
UTJ - 7
Livni - 4
Hadash - 4

But this is Yediot after all, I have a strong reason to question their method of polling and the political bias that goes before we are presented with the results.

danny
Israel

« Reply #242 on: May 05, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »

There was a Ynet poll concerning the lifestyles and opinions of different age groups, the relevant question for this forum being ideological affiliation:

<34:
Left (inc. far left, centre left): 22%
Centre: 20%
Right (inc. far right, centre right): 58%

34-50:
Left: 29%
Centre: 21%
Right: 50%

>50:
Left: 28%
Centre: 25%
Right 47%

Total:
Left: 27%
Centre: 22%
Right: 51%
danny
Israel

« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2014, 02:03:48 PM »

Haven't done one of these in a while, new poll from the Knesset channel:

Likud Beitenu: 28
Labour: 20
Jewish Home: 18
Yesh Atid: 13
Meretz: 12
Shas: 7
UTJ: 7
Hadash: 4
RAAM-TAAL: 4
Balad: 3
Hatnua: 3
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #244 on: July 08, 2014, 08:04:41 AM »

Liberman declares a break from Likud. Knesset poll accordingly:

Likud - 21, Labour -19, JH - 18, Liberman - 11, Lapid - 11, Meretz - 11, UTJ - 7, Shas - 6, Livni - 5, Hadash -4, Balad -4, Ra'am -3.

Interesting though surely inaccurate, I think Liberman will fall harder then that on his own.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #245 on: July 08, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »

Interesting though surely inaccurate, I think Liberman will fall harder then that on his own.

Really? He won 15 seats on his own in 2009, and 11 as part of the alliance in 2013, and it's a longstanding rule in politics that adding two parties together you generally get less than you would had both run separately. What has Lieberman done since then that he can't expect such support?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #246 on: July 08, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »

Nothing. That's what Liberman has done. He's done nothing and that's why he can expect to lose a lot of support. He has has lost most of his hawkish supporters to Jewish Home and most of his secular supporters to Yesh Atid.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #247 on: July 09, 2014, 08:47:33 AM »

Really? He won 15 seats on his own in 2009, and 11 as part of the alliance in 2013, and it's a longstanding rule in politics that adding two parties together you generally get less than you would had both run separately. What has Lieberman done since then that he can't expect such support?
I think that the 11 of LB were mostly on the back of Likud, he's done nothing the past few years and zigzag left and right. I think he will remain with a hardcore share of the Russian vote and a tad more secular right-wing nutters. Bennet's appeal is larger now especially with young voters and unhappy Likud members who will never vote for "that Russian"/
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #248 on: July 09, 2014, 08:45:45 PM »

Likud now has 20 MKs and Yesh Atid has 19.

There is speculation that in his capacity as Foreign Minister, Lieberman will appoint Likud MK Carmel Shama-Hacohen (who actually only became an MK like a week ago, replacing Ruby Rivlin, who became President) as Ambassador to the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe. He would then be replaced by the next person on the Likud Betenyu list, who is from Yisrael Betenyu. That would mean Likud and Yesh Atid would be tied for 19 seats each.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #249 on: July 10, 2014, 05:27:17 AM »

Likud now has 20 MKs and Yesh Atid has 19.

There is speculation that in his capacity as Foreign Minister, Lieberman will appoint Likud MK Carmel Shama-Hacohen (who actually only became an MK like a week ago, replacing Ruby Rivlin, who became President) as Ambassador to the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe. He would then be replaced by the next person on the Likud Betenyu list, who is from Yisrael Betenyu. That would mean Likud and Yesh Atid would be tied for 19 seats each.
He's going to be an ambassador for OECD* It was reported that he was already in Paris checking for schools for his children.
Add to this interesting situation Herzog attempts to get Livni to join in with him and that will bring him to 21 seats...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies