Israel general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:08:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 74
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 225035 times)
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2012, 01:11:56 AM »

Danny, which of the parties do you support in Israel.

I'm Jewish, and many of my relatives live in Israel (Haifa region  and Tel Aviv metro mostly.)

My Israeli Relatives are mainly Likud supporters, with a few Labour here, and there.

Here in the States, me and my father strongly back Likud. My Dad also likes Yisrael Beitenu, unlike me. However, I do like Danny Avalon a lot from Yisrael Beitenu.

Of course, I love Netanyahu Smiley
danny
Israel

« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2012, 06:34:05 AM »

I'm not a member of any party, but in the last election I voted for Likud.

I don't really like Netanyahu, I'm usually to his right, and I think there are much better people in Likud than him but he's still better than anyone from Kadima and Labour, although I could possibly vote for Yisrael Beitenu.

BTW, why would you like Ayalon but not his party? Other than his good English there isn't much difference between himself and the rest of the party.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2012, 02:24:43 PM »

I don't really like Netanyahu, I'm usually to his right, and I think there are much better people in Likud than him but he's still better than anyone from Kadima and Labour, although I could possibly vote for Yisrael Beitenu.

BTW, why would you like Ayalon but not his party? Other than his good English there isn't much difference between himself and the rest of the party.

Well, I mainly have an issue with Lieberman and the Yisrael Official (Sofa Landver) who released those Anti-American Jew ad's. I feel as if Lieberman is corrupt, and really just to extreme for me on a lot of issues. But, mainly it's that Ad campaign that pissed me off.

But,  my opinions aside, I'm happy that Likud and Yisrael Beitenu made the coalition back in 2009 Tongue

danny
Israel

« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2012, 04:10:27 PM »

Well, I mainly have an issue with Lieberman and the Yisrael Official (Sofa Landver) who released those Anti-American Jew ad's. I feel as if Lieberman is corrupt, and really just to extreme for me on a lot of issues. But, mainly it's that Ad campaign that pissed me off.

But,  my opinions aside, I'm happy that Likud and Yisrael Beitenu made the coalition back in 2009 Tongue

That ad really wasn't meant as anti-American Jew, it was supposed to encourage Jews to make Aliyah. And the rumors about Liebermans corruption never seem to amount to much.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »

Wouldn't a Likud-only government actually be good news for advancing the peace process with the Palestinians as they would have less need to appease the settler bloc as represented by the third parties they are currently in office with? 
danny
Israel

« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2012, 04:51:14 PM »

Wouldn't a Likud-only government actually be good news for advancing the peace process with the Palestinians as they would have less need to appease the settler bloc as represented by the third parties they are currently in office with? 

The coalition parties are not more supportive of the settlers than Likud is in general other than the irrelevant Jewish Home. If Likud formed a government by itself (realistically impossible) than there would be many more Likud members to oppose threats to the settlements. if Netanyahu would want to harm the settlements he would probably need to add parties to Likud's left to the coalition.
danny
Israel

« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2012, 02:46:59 PM »

new poll done following the Kadima primaries:

Likud: 32
Labour: 15
Kadima: 15
Yisrael Beitenu: 14
Lapid: 9
Shas: 9
UTJ: 5
Jewish Home-National Union: 5
Meretz: 5
Independence: 0
Arab Parties: 11
danny
Israel

« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »

And one from Yediot:

Likud: 29
Labour: 18
Yisrael Beitenu: 13
Kadima: 12
Lapid: 12
Shas: 8
UTJ: 6
National Union: 4
Meretz: 3
Jewish Home: 2
Deri: 2
Arab parties: 11

How did Mofaz's election affect your chance of voting for Kadima?
no change: 63%
lowered them: 15%
raised them: 13%

Who is more suitable to be prime minister?
Netanyahu: 54%
Mofaz: 16%
danny
Israel

« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2012, 11:32:03 AM »

And now channel 2:
Likud: 32
Labour: 16
Yisrael Beitenu: 14
Lapid: 12
Kadima: 10
Shas: 7
National Union: 6
UTJ: 5
Hadash: 4
Jewish Home: 3
Balad: 3
Raam-Taal: 3

Which of these two is more suitable to be prime minister?
Netanyahu: 52%
Mofaz: 12%

Is Kadima an alternative to Likud as a ruling party?
yes: 24%
no: 64%
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »

So, all these polls seem to show Labor to be the likely next biggest opposition party, not Kadima, so the Mofaz vs. Netaniyahu question becomes irrelevant.

Also, all these polls are really good for Shas - unless Kadima is wooed back into a rightwing government, Shas is the one religious party that's going to be indispensible to form it. I think, I can forecast certain budgetary appropriations Smiley))
danny
Israel

« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2012, 03:41:33 AM »

Considering Mofaz wanted to enter the current coalition I don't think there will be much trouble for Kadima to enter the next one. Kadima should also be fine with being in coalition with Shas so a Likud+Kadima+Yisrael Beitenu+Shas+UTJ coalition is quite likely. It's also possible to replace Shas and UTJ with Lapid but I don't trust Israeli politicians with excluding the haredim.
danny
Israel

« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »

Another from Globes:
Likud: 29
Yisrael Beitenu: 16
Kadima: 15
Labour: 12
Lapid: 9
Shas: 9
Meretz:4
Jewish Home:3
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2012, 03:02:18 PM »

Has labour ever won a government in Israel?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2012, 03:55:35 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2012, 03:57:28 PM by Frodo in a Hoodie »

Not since Ehud Barak was prime minister.  You can thank Yasser Arafat and his scuttling of the peace process for the straits the Labour Party is in now.   
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2012, 06:51:42 PM »

Is that an April Fool question?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2012, 11:59:52 PM »

Is it a joke?

Labor was continuously in power in Israel from its creation (1948) till 1977. Back then it was one of those eternal governing parties, like the LDP in Japan and INC in India.

Since then, Israel has had Labor PM in 1984-86 (as part of a grand coalition), 1992-1996 and 1999-2001.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2012, 12:20:45 AM »

Considering Mofaz wanted to enter the current coalition I don't think there will be much trouble for Kadima to enter the next one. Kadima should also be fine with being in coalition with Shas so a Likud+Kadima+Yisrael Beitenu+Shas+UTJ coalition is quite likely. It's also possible to replace Shas and UTJ with Lapid but I don't trust Israeli politicians with excluding the haredim.

Well, of course, the natural home of Kadima is Likud. I agree, it is quite likely they'd join a right-wing gov't - in fact, it is quite likely they'd fold back into Likud by the end of the Knesset in which they do it. There, of course, will be some (likely minor) defections to Labor in the process and the normalcy will be restored Smiley)

Israeli politicians will not exclude the haredim - for a reason. Those polls you cite give the haredim, what 20-23 seats almost consistently, w/ another 10-13 going to the Arabs+Hadash. That's 30-36 seats - very likely over a quarter of the total. Labor + Meretz are unlikely to drop much below 18 or 20 - and Labor is not going into a right-wing coalition again, given what it did to them last time. So, to form an entirely non-haredi government, it would have to be a narrow coalition, in which you'd have to rely on the loyalty of the relatively leftyish Kadima members and the likely not very predictable Lapidniks (even if they don't call them that, it sounds like a good word:) ). To be sure that it would hold for a full term, it would have to give something to these people to dissuade them from splitting off in strange directions: likely either undertake a massive secular reform agenda (making it harder to get the haredim back if anything happens), or doing something for peace (which is anathema to most of the rest of the coalition).

But even if it turns out that the Kadima holds whole and Lapidniks are good secular right-wingers, longer term it is a loosing strategy. The Arabs and the haredim will be growing - in another generation it is very likely they together will have over 40 seats as a matter of routine.  Labor will recover somewhat once Kadima is out of the way - in any case, Israel has enough leftists to reliably get 20 seats between Labor and Meretz if there is no other party claiming to be part of the Zionist left. If you want a right-wing government, you'll have to deal w/ the haredim: they are the future of any Jewish Democratic State Smiley) In another 30 years they will be nominating the PM of their own Smiley)
danny
Israel

« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2012, 09:40:53 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2012, 03:42:39 AM by danny »

Now that the elections are likely to happen sometime between August and October there should be more polls coming.
Here is one from Yediot:

Likud: 30
Labour: 18
Kadima: 11
There is a Future (the new name for Lapid's party): 11
Shas: 7
Deri: 3
National Union: 3
Arab parties:11
danny
Israel

« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2012, 09:32:54 AM »

And another:

Likud: 31
Labour: 17
There Is A Future: 12
Kadima: 10
Shas: 8
Meretz: 4
Deri: 2

The election will probably be on the September 4.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »

Could you explain why Netanyahu would want an early election? I'm not sure why not just wait until early 2013, when it was supposed to be held.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »

Could you explain why Netanyahu would want an early election? I'm not sure why not just wait until early 2013, when it was supposed to be held.

If Israel were to attack Iran, there's probably little upside for Netanyahu and the potential for considerable downside.  Having the election sooner frees him to do what he thinks the situation calls for without having to worry about the political risks.
danny
Israel

« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2012, 05:56:48 PM »

The closer you get to an election the less incentive parties have to stay in it and the more incentive to leave to position themselves for the elections.

The current problem is with the new law replacing the Tal law (dealing with religious exemptions from the army) Yisrael beitenu decided to propose their own law and threatened to leave the coalition if it didn't pass, but if Netanyahu would agree than the Haredi parties would have left themselves. In either case the government would have fallen. So Netanyahu could either try to prolong the government as much as possible but have it fall apart soon anyway, or preempt this and decide on an election date himself. The latter makes him look stronger and more competent coming into the elections.

While it might not really be Netanyahu's true wish to have an early election, it's still a good time for him. he is doing well in the polls and he would have a lot leverage in the negotiation for the new coalition, since all the parties from Labour rightwards are realistic potential coalition partners (excluding possibly the National Union).
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »

Wow- Kadima has fallen... what is "There Is A Future"? I've tried to look it up...
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:07 PM »

Wow- Kadima has fallen... what is "There Is A Future"? I've tried to look it up...

It's known colloquially in Hebrew as 'Atid' -- it's English Wikipedia article is pathetic, but here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atid_(political_party)
danny
Israel

« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2012, 01:04:56 AM »

Yair Lapid's new party.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies