Israel general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:46:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 74
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 228073 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: April 09, 2018, 02:49:32 AM »

Yes DavidB, unarmed journalists are enemies. Just are all Palestinian dissidents (I'm sorry, "terrorists") and their allies or sympathizers, right? Because of the constant threat of "Hamas" or whatever bogeyman that the pariah state of the world (outside of the US) that deserves its pariah status conjures up.

I'll ignore the ad hominem and strawmaning, and instead just point out that Israel has no sanctions on it, participates in all worldwide sports and culture events, and has diplomatic relations with every democratic nation. It enjoys strong support from countries outside of the US such as Canada, Germany and Australia, and has very good relations with other countries like Britain and France. If you're looking for a pariah, take a look east and see a nation where homosexuals are being executed (a nation the U.S. still made a deal with, which I support by the way). Also, these sorts of debates belong in Individual Politics because, as mentioned:

No discussion on Israel murdering unarmed protesters and journalists this week? Cool.
Well basically we use this threads for political discussions in the narrow sense.

Also:

No discussion on Israel murdering unarmed protesters and journalists this week? Cool.

anyway I said to a friend a year ago that when Palestinians will march in their hundreds of thousands to the border it will be the end, we're not for from there. 

Well, if this becomes a tactic then we're gonna need to build a big, beautiful, powerful wall, and we'll have a large, beautiful door so that we can come in whenever we need to stop them from firing rockets at our civilians.
There is absolutely no way to build a wall there logistically without occupying the strip first. The IDF knows it and that’s why they respond harshly, if this goes on for another week we’ll see air strikes on Hamas power bases deep inside.

Is there no way to just occupy a perimeter (which we seem to do every war anyway) around the border for the time of construction? I mean, how close are the population centers?
No. Building takes several months and in that time workers and equipment will be sitting ducks (you won’t find many who’ll agree to work like that), a single sniper can delay work by days at each section.
Population centers are either almost on it (in the northern part) or 1-2 miles from it in the south.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1526 on: April 09, 2018, 05:38:50 AM »

Guys, chill. I know this is an emotional topic for many (myself not excluded) but the primary purpose of those threads is to analyze and discuss political developments not flame-war. You can go to Individual Politics to shout at each other (I thankfully don't moderate that one Tongue ).

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1527 on: April 10, 2018, 07:26:14 PM »

I normally don't post here because I don't want it to lead to flame wars as I am of Palestinian and have a Pro-Palestine origin, but Famous Mortimer needs to stop generalizing us. A large % of us would rather just have the conflict end peacefully, when conflict results (example the current Land Day protests), it infuriates people on both sides (I am not immune from this either as I had a bad outburst recently), and I think my people are not doing a great job pushing for peace either.

But the ad hominem and inane comments being thrown around here aren't productive for conversation either.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1528 on: April 10, 2018, 09:22:02 PM »

I normally don't post here because I don't want it to lead to flame wars as I am of Palestinian and have a Pro-Palestine origin, but Famous Mortimer needs to stop generalizing us. A large % of us would rather just have the conflict end peacefully, when conflict results (example the current Land Day protests), it infuriates people on both sides (I am not immune from this either as I had a bad outburst recently), and I think my people are not doing a great job pushing for peace either.

But the ad hominem and inane comments being thrown around here aren't productive for conversation either.

1) It's impossible to talk about politics without making generalizations. Let's be adults. When I or anyone else says "the Palestinians [blank]" or "the Israelis [blank]" or even "the Americans [blank]" OBVIOUSLY we're not saying "every single Palestinian"/"every single Israeli"/"every single American". So when you chime in with "well not every single person" you don't make yourself look smart, you make yourself look like a pedant who doesn't understand how normal people talk. People should be sophisticated enough to discuss politics without having to preface every sentence with "obviously not every single member of this group believes this". It should just go without saying. Again, if you're not intellectually sophisticated enough to handle that, you aren't intellectually sophisticated enough to talk about politics at all.

2) That said, the only generalization I made about Palestinians in this thread was that they would happily pursue a one state solution through peaceful democratic means if given the opportunity. So I don't know why you're criticizing me for claiming that all Palestinians are violent, since I didn't say that, I literally said the opposite. I assume you are just criticizing me because it's what people on this board automatically do when they don't have actual points to make.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #1529 on: April 20, 2018, 07:06:55 AM »

I don't want to start new thread but Romania decided to move its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/global-europe/news/report-romania-to-breaks-ranks-with-eu-by-moving-embassy-to-jerusalem/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1524206870
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1530 on: April 20, 2018, 08:58:54 AM »

Noted anti-semite Natalie Portman.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1531 on: April 20, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »

Pretty sure they clarified it will be happen once a deal for 2SS is struck.

sverkol

« Reply #1532 on: April 26, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2018, 03:59:58 PM by sverkol »

The hero conscientious objector Matam Hellman released from military service after 110 days in jail.
I hope that more young people like Hellman will refuse to join the IDF and to take part in the occupation.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1533 on: April 26, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »

The hero conscientious objector Matam Hellman released from military service after 110 days in jail.
I hope that more young people like Hellman will refuse to join the IDF and to take part in the occupation.

Good for him, a military jail isn't a great experience. The IDF should relax its conscience committees.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1534 on: April 26, 2018, 10:32:07 PM »

They should be jailed exactly as long as their less cowardly compatriots serve.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1535 on: April 27, 2018, 05:07:24 AM »

Good for him, a military jail isn't a great experience. The IDF should relax its conscience committees.
Israel should abolish mandatory conscription
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1536 on: April 27, 2018, 08:15:09 PM »

Conscription is a barbaric restriction of human liberty and turns young people into tools of the state regardless of their personal opinions or desires, and are one of the most coercive abuses of state power there is. Military service should be a matter of personal choice.

EDIT: Thought better of some of my word choice.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1537 on: April 27, 2018, 10:31:36 PM »

I find Israel's universal conscription more justifiable than most due to the conditions it began under, but I also think its time has largely passed with the advent of a technology-driven military.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1538 on: April 27, 2018, 11:13:59 PM »

I find Israel's universal conscription more justifiable than most due to the conditions it began under, but I also think its time has largely passed with the advent of a technology-driven military.

Despite being anti-conscription, given Israel is pretty much in a permanent war given its nieghbours, conscription is totally justifiable. The only issue is than it's not universal.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1539 on: April 28, 2018, 04:49:24 AM »

Despite being anti-conscription, given Israel is pretty much in a permanent war given its nieghbours, conscription is totally justifiable. The only issue is than it's not universal.

This - I believe that Israel should move to a professinal army at some point in the future, but it should be gradual and it's not the time yet.
sverkol

« Reply #1540 on: April 28, 2018, 09:01:06 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2018, 09:04:26 AM by sverkol »

MK Oded Forer from the corrupt Yisrael Beytenu Party want to impeach MK Haneen Zoabi.
According to the undemocratic impeachment bill 90 MK's are needed to impeach another MK.
Coward Lapid support it,Ofer Shelah is against.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1541 on: April 28, 2018, 09:04:16 AM »

MK Oded Forer from the corrupt Yisrael Beytenu Party want to impeach MK Haneen Zoabi.
According to the undemocratic impeachment law 90 MK's are needed to impeach another MK.

I like your lack of moral judgement when reporting news Tongue
(But hey, it's not like we don't have papers like Yisrael Hayom in Israel so it's fine)
sverkol

« Reply #1542 on: April 28, 2018, 09:09:34 AM »

According to the undemocratic impeachment law 90 MK's are needed to impeach another MK.

I like your lack of moral judgement when reporting news Tongue
(But hey, it's not like we don't have papers like Yisrael Hayom in Israel so it's fine)
Don't forget Channel 20.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1543 on: April 28, 2018, 09:34:42 AM »

Why would Yisrael Beiteinu be corrupt?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1544 on: April 28, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »

(Israeli posters will understand)
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1545 on: April 28, 2018, 11:54:35 AM »

numerous corruption allegations related to the party mechanism and municipal branches. A Chairman that escaped conviction oמ very shaky grounds and still hadn't explained half a million dollars that just popped into his daughters bank account. Numerous former MKs heading to jail on corruption charges.

There has never been and never will be 90 MKs who'll support impeachment without any criminal charges. And it will definitely not pass the supreme court that tends to look away from inner house processes but has its limits.
sverkol

« Reply #1546 on: April 28, 2018, 03:28:09 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2018, 09:16:07 AM by sverkol »

numerous corruption allegations related to the party mechanism and municipal branches. A Chairman that escaped conviction oמ very shaky grounds and still hadn't explained half a million dollars that just popped into his daughters bank account. Numerous former MKs heading to jail on corruption charges.

There has never been and never will be 90 MKs who'll support impeachment without any criminal charges. And it will definitely not pass the supreme court that tends to look away from inner house processes but has its limits.
Few MK's Labour arleady supported the impeachment bill against Basel Ghattas.
And i wouldn't be surprised if phony Gabbay will support it either.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1547 on: April 28, 2018, 03:35:08 PM »

Few NK's Labour arleady supported the impeachment bill against Basel Ghattas.

You do remember that Ghattas had criminal charges against him, right?
sverkol

« Reply #1548 on: April 28, 2018, 03:39:54 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2018, 03:44:59 PM by sverkol »

Netanyahu is also faces a criminal charges and i don't see someone want to impeach him.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1549 on: April 28, 2018, 03:43:53 PM »

Netanyahu is also face a criminal charges and i don't see someone want to impeach him.

This is irrelevant. Netanyahu is not yet convicted of any crime and evidence is not 100% clear. Ghattas was literally filmed smuggling phones into a prison.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies