Israel general discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:40:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 226654 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: November 13, 2011, 04:32:58 PM »

Labor's attempt at a Lazarus act is slightly impressive. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 12:01:43 AM »

Israeli politics is a depressing, tragicomic spectacle.

Wait, what's wrong with that sentence?

Ah, yes.

Israeli politics is a depressing, tragicomic spectacle.

I suppose, as I did ten years ago, that I theoretically back Lapid.  (Different Lapid, but that's a technicality)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »

What kind of coalition could emerge from those poll numbers?

Likud + Jewish Home + Yisrael Beitenu + Kachlon's people = 54.  IIRC Shas and Jewish Home do not play well together, and Yesh Atid is a very poor fit for a coalition with Jewish Home.  Does Netanyahu invite in Labor?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »

What would happen if Jewish Home and Likud tie in terms of the number of MKs they win?

Also, is Naftali Bennett for real or are his extremist plans a way to set up a negotiating position?  Annexing 70% of the West Bank and turning the completely-surrounded-by-Israel rump West Bank into a militarily-occupied Bantustan seems...bold.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 12:08:44 AM »

SC struck down the draft law (which had all sorts of loops and quotas deemed unconstitutional). Now this was expected during the legislation but the Israeli law angle is uninteresting here. politically: if someone was looking for an issue to topple the government then ding ding ding. (Haredi parties will die for this)

UTJ and Shas will be furious, but are they furious at the government or just at the courts? I'm not sure why they'd leave Netanyahu's government and provoke an early election when the government isn't the reason that the law was struck down.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 11:56:37 PM »

It takes a very special kind of person to look at unarmed protesters and journalists(!) shot in cold blood by heavily-armed soldiers and view any sort of sympathy for the protesters as anti-Semitism.

People who are pointing out that IDF's recent war crimes aren't OK behavior aren't anti-Semites for doing so.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 08:15:09 PM »

Conscription is a barbaric restriction of human liberty and turns young people into tools of the state regardless of their personal opinions or desires, and are one of the most coercive abuses of state power there is. Military service should be a matter of personal choice.

EDIT: Thought better of some of my word choice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies