Gary Johnson reaching out to the Libertarian Party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:05:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Gary Johnson reaching out to the Libertarian Party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gary Johnson reaching out to the Libertarian Party?  (Read 2339 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2011, 06:49:57 PM »

This is just a blog, and their is no solid sources, but if it is true, this could make the campaign much more interesting. Will he pull a John Anderson?

http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2011/09/is-gary-johnson-considering-the-libertarian-party/
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:51:45 PM »

He might be wanting to pull an Anderson... but is closer to pulling a Buchanan in 2000.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 06:55:06 PM »

He might be wanting to pull an Anderson... but is closer to pulling a Buchanan in 2000.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 08:01:36 PM »

Actually, I think he could have the best showing for the Libertarian Party so far. He'd just have to get- what- 1.07%?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:20:26 PM »

Jacobtm

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:28:24 PM »

I for one would be way more likely to vote for Gary Johnson over Obama or any Republican.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 08:29:01 PM »

I for one would be way more likely to vote for Gary Johnson over Obama.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 08:43:52 PM »

Does anyone more knowledgeable about the Libertarian Party know if Johnson would have a significantly more realistic chance at gaining the nomination than, say, Gravel did in '08?

Personally, I don't see how they could resist this:

Jacobtm

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 08:54:32 PM »

If it was Obama v. Republican v. Johnson would you vote for any of the Republican nominees?

Would Johnson even take away votes from Republicans really?

I feel like he would attract Ron Paul voters and hippy libertarian types, ie people whose views are not represented by normal Democrats or Republicans.

He might be a 3rd party candidate who doesn't affect the 2 major parties at all, whatever % he gets.

I bet he could get at least 1% nationally, if Bob Barr got .4%.

Amazing though, how little coverage this successful 2 term governor has gotten just because he's come out for Marijuana legalization. That issue freakin kills you with the MSM.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »

If it was Obama v. Republican v. Johnson would you vote for any of the Republican nominees?

Would Johnson even take away votes from Republicans really?

I feel like he would attract Ron Paul voters and hippy libertarian types, ie people whose views are not represented by normal Democrats or Republicans.

He might be a 3rd party candidate who doesn't affect the 2 major parties at all, whatever % he gets.

I bet he could get at least 1% nationally, if Bob Barr got .4%.

Amazing though, how little coverage this successful 2 term governor has gotten just because he's come out for Marijuana legalization. That issue freakin kills you with the MSM.

I think the Republicans nominating a pro-weed Republican would be totally badass, regardless of my own pro or anti position on the issue. He'd definitely have a bigger base of support than Barr given he'd have the Paulites better lined up being a through-and-through Libertarian as opposed to Bob Barr and being a former two-term Governor. In all likelihood I'd support the GOP nominee (I won't be able to vote), but would be rooting for Johnson to get a couple percentage points regardless of the outcome. I like third parties.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 09:01:14 PM »

It's not the drugs. Johnson's problem is the is, by all accounts, a terrible politician. I think it's the GQ piece (also the source of the awesome picture in my previous post) that describes Johnson apologizing to people for mentioning that he's running for President. How does someone like that run a successful campaign?
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 09:09:54 PM »

Johnson would have a great chance at getting the Libertarian nomination, and he does seem to be considering it. They seem to like him, and if they gave it to Barr, they'd have no trouble giving it to Johnson,a  politician who they have always agreed with with on most issues.

I don't think he'd do much better then the average Lib though. Paul would, but that's a large part a personal following. Plus Paul would get some media coverage, being a pretty strong Republican candidate who switched parties. Johnson, not so much.

Now if Mitt's nominated, I could see the Constitution Party doing really well. but I don't think Johnson would be the golden bullet for the Libertarians.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »

He could get 5-10 percent in New Mexico. But I'm not sure who that would help/hurt.
Jacobtm

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 09:48:16 PM »

It's not the drugs. Johnson's problem is the is, by all accounts, a terrible politician. I think it's the GQ piece (also the source of the awesome picture in my previous post) that describes Johnson apologizing to people for mentioning that he's running for President. How does someone like that run a successful campaign?

Quite true.

It is humble people like that who we should really be electing, not the prideful, boastful sorts. Of course, humility doesn't gain you votes in the Reality TV era.

Though Johnson is the only one running for the Republican nomination with a positive approval rating in his home state
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 10:03:15 PM »

Quite true.

It is humble people like that who we should really be electing, not the prideful, boastful sorts. Of course, humility doesn't gain you votes in the Reality TV era.

Agreed. As ineffective a candidate as Johnson is, I do like him, and I wish that more of our political figures shared his personality traits.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 09:08:14 AM »

Johnson would have a great chance at getting the Libertarian nomination, and he does seem to be considering it. They seem to like him, and if they gave it to Barr, they'd have no trouble giving it to Johnson,a  politician who they have always agreed with with on most issues.

I don't think he'd do much better then the average Lib though. Paul would, but that's a large part a personal following. Plus Paul would get some media coverage, being a pretty strong Republican candidate who switched parties. Johnson, not so much.

Now if Mitt's nominated, I could see the Constitution Party doing really well. but I don't think Johnson would be the golden bullet for the Libertarians.

Well, I'm sure not voting for Mitt or Cain... be it primary or general.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 09:12:13 AM »

I hope he'll be the LP nominee cuz chances are I won't like Romney's running mate and won't support him.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »

Quite true.

Agreed. As ineffective a candidate as Johnson is, I do like him, and I wish that more of our political figures shared his personality traits.

Seems like a good dude. 

I predicted many months ago he'd run 3rd party and pull roughly equally from Obama and the Republican, or make voters out of non-voters.  Ron Paul would probably endorse him and he could get high single digits.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 02:24:02 PM »

Johnson pretty much has to run as a Libertarian after today...he missed the NH filing date.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 07:36:30 PM »

Looks like Ron Paul is considering running on a third party ticket (likely Libertarian) -curious to see how it would play it out if Gary Johnson also decides he likes the yellow avatar more than the blue.   
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 07:37:50 PM »

He'll get a whopping 2% of the vote at most, and that support won't hurt Romney.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 07:40:07 PM »

Looks like Ron Paul is considering running on a third party ticket (likely Libertarian) -curious to see how it would play it out if Gary Johnson also decides he likes the yellow avatar more than the blue.   
It would hurt Rand, he would not do it. I would support him if he did.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »

Paul/Johnson would, jokes aside, very possibly get 2-3% of the vote, which is relatively impressive for a third party candidate.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 10:20:20 PM »

Paul/Johnson would, jokes aside, very possibly get 2-3% of the vote, which is relatively impressive for a third party candidate.
Paul could get up to 15-20% if he goes independent. If he actually takes the Libertarian nomination, it might actually hurt him. Remeber, the purist like Mary Ruwart want legalized assisted suicide, and open borders. The party holding these kind of views can only hurt Paul. If anything, Paul takes the Constitution Party ballot line.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 10:23:49 PM »

But one advantage to taking the Libertarian party line is that they have ballot access in the most states, meaning less work for his campaign. If Paul ran as an Independent or Constitution, he'd have to struggle a bit more. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies