ME: Public Policy Polling: Snowe (R) safe if she wins renomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:47:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 Senatorial Election Polls
  ME: Public Policy Polling: Snowe (R) safe if she wins renomination
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: ME: Public Policy Polling: Snowe (R) safe if she wins renomination  (Read 3547 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 03:49:44 PM »
« edited: November 04, 2011, 04:02:55 PM by greenforest32 »

Yay! This thread got better since I put greenforest on ignore.

Thank you for that public notice

The next three decades is going to be bad news for social conservatives: http://www.npr.org/2011/11/03/141984787/generation-gap-how-age-shapes-political-outlook

Burying your head in the sand isn't going to do anything.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 07:02:56 PM »

I think the Senators from Maine are a good fit for Maine. They may not be the second coming of Lowell Weicker, but they are to the left of the mainstream in the GOP caucus in the Senate.

It is healthy for our political system that Democrats can still win elections in places like Nebraska and Louisiana, and that Republicans like Olympia Snowe can win in the Northeast.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 07:37:57 PM »

Never put too much stock in polling, greenforest. A lot can happen in the next few decades that can severely alter our course. For example: Obama could get reelected narrowly in 2012, the economy collapses, and America turns hard to the right for a couple cycles, similar to what happened to the Democrats in the 30's and 40's. Not saying it will happen, just saying that events like that can either make things very good for liberals...or very bad.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 07:42:47 PM »

Maine continues to drag itself (and the country) down by (re)electing Snowe and Collins.

...why?

They both fit their state well.

Fit in terms of what? Definitely not the interests of the majority of the people living there.

Stop being a stupid Hack. Both of them fit Maine and how the people want their Senators to vote. Just because they may not vote like you want doesn't mean jack crap.

Butthurt conservative detected.

Congress' approval rating is in single digits because everybody loves the legislation coming out of the R and neoliberal D (hello DLC/Blue Dogs) controlled House and the 60-vote-required-for-anything Senate due to Republican filibusters (of which the Maine twins vote lock in step to support) right?

A huge problem this country has is people voting against their interests and Maine is no exception. Hell I was just at a friend's wedding on the weekend and I was unfortunate enough to sit next to his dumbass Grandma. This 72-year-old lady makes $13k a year (all from Social Security), is on food stamps, and votes Republican because "the Democrats don't represent 'Christian values' (read authoritarian social conservatism)". God damn

How far are we going to have to fall before people start thinking? Unbelievable.

So people who don't vote the way you think they should vote are dumbasses? Great attitude there.

These people don't approve of Republican economic policies and yet they vote Republican over social issues or some need to culturally identify as being a "conservative" or a "Christian"? Who does that? Yes it is my opinion that people who do that are dumbasses.

It's been working great for the last three decades right? Fortunately they won't be able to do it for another three but, god help them, they will die trying.

But you said that the issue is people voting against their interests. You would say that I "vote against my interests"; am I a dumbass?

What? I was talking to her and she doesn't support privatizing Social Security or Medicare and she favors raising taxes on rich people/big corporations. So I asked her why she would vote Republican as they want to do the opposite of what she wants economically and that's when she started babbling about religion and saying Republicans aren't like that.

Maybe I should say voting against their economic interests? But if her interests really are voting against all her economic needs and desires to enforce her "morality" on the rest of society then she still gets graded as a dumbass in my book.

I actually did get the implication of economic interests, & the example is less cogent given that she actually does support left-wing economic policies. However, I find it highly presumptuous to brand someone a dumbass because they don't think it right to demand a larger proportion of another's paycheck.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 07:49:35 PM »

These people don't approve of Republican economic policies and yet they vote Republican over social issues or some need to culturally identify as being a "conservative" or a "Christian"? Who does that? Yes it is my opinion that people who do that are dumbasses.

It's been working great for the last three decades right? Fortunately they won't be able to do it for another three but, god help them, they will die trying.

We  have an entire thread devoted to answeing this question:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=142733.0
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies