ME: Public Policy Polling: Snowe (R) safe if she wins renomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:09:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 Senatorial Election Polls
  ME: Public Policy Polling: Snowe (R) safe if she wins renomination
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ME: Public Policy Polling: Snowe (R) safe if she wins renomination  (Read 3550 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »

New Poll: Maine Senator by Public Policy Polling on 2011-10-31

Summary: D: 37%, R: 54%, U: 9%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »

Sky usually blue or black but sometimes grey, white, or peach-colored. Film at eleven.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 02:15:31 PM »

If she is not renominated, Snowe could easily pull a Murkowski.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »

I don't think Maine has a loser law like Alaska does, so it wouldn't be possible. I'm not 100% sure though.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 02:40:55 PM »

Democrats could pick this seat up easily if Snowe pulls a Murkowski, all they'd need to do is run attack ads slamming her on voting against "Obamacare", the jobs bill and a slew of proposals that are popular among the base.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 02:44:43 PM »

Snowe won by 74%-21% in 2006, ftr.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 02:57:03 PM »

I don't think Maine has a loser law like Alaska does, so it wouldn't be possible. I'm not 100% sure though.

I don't think any state has a law preventing a loser from running as a write-in (only for actually getting on the ballot), though I don't know much about that area.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2011, 03:02:57 PM by MilesC56 »

Alaska doesn't have a " loser law" either. Thats why Murkowski had to run as a write-in rather than forming a third party à la Lieberman.

The only states where primary losers can run as third-party Independents are Vermont, New York, Iowa, and of course, Connecticut.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 06:42:20 PM »

Maine continues to drag itself (and the country) down by (re)electing Snowe and Collins.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 08:23:02 PM »

Maine continues to drag itself (and the country) down by (re)electing Snowe and Collins.

...why?

They both fit their state well.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 08:27:20 PM »

...why?

Fit in terms of what? Definitely not the interests of the majority of the people living there.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 09:00:21 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2011, 09:06:08 PM by bgwah »

I know that in WA, a candidate defeated in a primary is not a valid write-in.

Obviously that wasn't the case in Alaska.

In some states, a third party can replace their candidate with the loser of a major party primary. Alaska allowed this---you may recall Murkowski talking with the Libertarian Party about this possibility. This isn't allowed in Maine, based on what I've read.... Not sure about a write-in campaign.

Snowe would easily win as an independent candidate, though. If anything the Democrat would get third place:

Emily Cain (D): 17
Scott D'Amboise (R): 21
Olympia Snowe (I): 54
Undecided: 7

Rosa Scarcelli (D): 15
Scott D'Amboise (R): 20
Olympia Snowe (I): 56
Undecided: 9

Emily Cain (D): 15
Andrew Ian Dodge (R): 19
Olympia Snowe (I): 56
Undecided: 10

Rosa Scarcelli (D): 13
Andrew Ian Dodge (R): 19
Olympia Snowe (I): 57
Undecided: 10
(MoE: ±2.8%)

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_ME_03091023.pdf
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »

...why?

Fit in terms of what? Definitely not the interests of the majority of the people living there.

Stop being a stupid Hack. Both of them fit Maine and how the people want their Senators to vote. Just because they may not vote like you want doesn't mean jack crap.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »

...why?

Stop being a stupid Hack. Both of them fit Maine and how the people want their Senators to vote. Just because they may not vote like you want doesn't mean jack crap.

Butthurt conservative detected.

Congress' approval rating is in single digits because everybody loves the legislation coming out of the R and neoliberal D (hello DLC/Blue Dogs) controlled House and the 60-vote-required-for-anything Senate due to Republican filibusters (of which the Maine twins vote lock in step to support) right?

A huge problem this country has is people voting against their interests and Maine is no exception. Hell I was just at a friend's wedding on the weekend and I was unfortunate enough to sit next to his dumbass Grandma. This 72-year-old lady makes $13k a year (all from Social Security), is on food stamps, and votes Republican because "the Democrats don't represent 'Christian values' (read authoritarian social conservatism)". God damn

How far are we going to have to fall before people start thinking? Unbelievable.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 02:01:38 PM »

...why?

Congress' approval rating is in single digits because everybody loves the legislation coming out of the R and neoliberal D (hello DLC/Blue Dogs) controlled House and the 60-vote-required-for-anything Senate due to Republican filibusters (of which the Maine twins vote lock in step to support) right?

A huge problem this country has is people voting against their interests and Maine is no exception. Hell I was just at a friend's wedding on the weekend and I was unfortunate enough to sit next to his dumbass Grandma. This 72-year-old lady makes $13k a year (all from Social Security), is on food stamps, and votes Republican because "the Democrats don't represent 'Christian values' (read authoritarian social conservatism)". God damn

How far are we going to have to fall before people start thinking? Unbelievable.
Very mature. Calling an elderly woman a "dumbass."I may disagree with people from time to time, but I usually will respect their opinion and try to refrain from insulting them.

I think the best way of determining how good of a job they're doing is by looking at the elections. Both of the Maine twins continue to win in landslides despite being in a Democratic-leaning state. That tells me they must be doing something right.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 02:09:58 PM »

...why?

Very mature. Calling an elderly woman a "dumbass."I may disagree with people from time to time, but I usually will respect their opinion and try to refrain from insulting them.

I think the best way of determining how good of a job they're doing is by looking at the elections. Both of the Maine twins continue to win in landslides despite being in a Democratic-leaning state. That tells me they must be doing something right.

I don't respect people's opinions just because they're their opinions. Should I respect a racist's beliefs? No, I'm concerned with the opinion/belief itself.

As for being old, who cares? I'm not going to give someone's stupid beliefs/actions a free pass just because they're old. She's not senile, she (and many other people) should know better.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 02:24:55 PM »

Both of them would gladly support Mitch McConnell for majority leader and that definitely isn't in step with their state, a Kentucky conservative setting a very hard-right agenda.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 02:28:11 PM »

...why?

I don't respect people's opinions just because they're their opinions. Should I respect a racist's beliefs? No, I'm concerned with the opinion/belief itself.

As for being old, who cares? I'm not going to give someone's stupid beliefs/actions a free pass just because they're old. She's not senile, she (and many other people) should know better.
It sounds like the lady is voting with what she believes is most important. You may have your priorities different than hers, but I don't think that necessarily means she has stupid beliefs, and it certainly doesn't warrant people the right to call her a dumbass. I tend to believe you should respect your elders, and calling them a dumbass certainly isn't something I find respectable. But you have a differing opinion, obviously, and I respect that you have a right to have a differing view.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 02:35:39 PM »

...why?

So people who don't vote the way you think they should vote are dumbasses? Great attitude there.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »

...why?

It sounds like the lady is voting with what she believes is most important. You may have your priorities different than hers, but I don't think that necessarily means she has stupid beliefs, and it certainly doesn't warrant people the right to call her a dumbass. I tend to believe you should respect your elders, and calling them a dumbass certainly isn't something I find respectable. But you have a differing opinion, obviously, and I respect that you have a right to have a differing view.

Oh yes she certainly is. She values banning abortion and gay marriage more than the government programs she uses (Social Security, Medicare, food stamps). She wouldn't believe me when I told her about the budget House Republicans passed earlier this year that would have turned Medicare into a voucher program for everybody else in the future. Zzzzz at the wheel for these folks.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 02:46:23 PM »

...why?

So people who don't vote the way you think they should vote are dumbasses? Great attitude there.

These people don't approve of Republican economic policies and yet they vote Republican over social issues or some need to culturally identify as being a "conservative" or a "Christian"? Who does that? Yes it is my opinion that people who do that are dumbasses.

It's been working great for the last three decades right? Fortunately they won't be able to do it for another three but, god help them, they will die trying.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 02:50:27 PM »

...why?

These people don't approve of Republican economic policies and yet they vote Republican over social issues or some need to culturally identify as being a "conservative" or a "Christian"? Who does that? Yes it is my opinion that people who do that are dumbasses.

It's been working great for the last three decades right? Fortunately they won't be able to do it for another three but, god help them, they will die trying.

But you said that the issue is people voting against their interests. You would say that I "vote against my interests"; am I a dumbass?
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 02:57:57 PM »

...why?

But you said that the issue is people voting against their interests. You would say that I "vote against my interests"; am I a dumbass?

What? I was talking to her and she doesn't support privatizing Social Security or Medicare and she favors raising taxes on rich people/big corporations. So I asked her why she would vote Republican as they want to do the opposite of what she wants economically and that's when she started babbling about religion and saying Republicans aren't like that.

Maybe I should say voting against their economic interests? But if her interests really are voting against all her economic needs and desires to enforce her "morality" on the rest of society then she still gets graded as a dumbass in my book.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »

Yay! This thread got better since I put greenforest on ignore.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 03:48:49 PM »

What it all comes down to is, Maine likes their two Senators..
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies