Opinion of this redistricting proposal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:56:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Opinion of this redistricting proposal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Opinion of this redistricting proposal?  (Read 1830 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »
« edited: November 20, 2011, 12:13:15 PM by Frodo »

Trade West Virginia for Kansas and that is a more sensible set-up from an OTL US perspective than the current 5 region scheme.  The only thing that jumps out at me as problematic is the size of the new Western Region.

Is this what you have in mind?

I like this proposal, actually.  I have always wanted Virginia in the Southeast since I first got into this game nearly seven years ago.  It's exciting to see there is a prospect it might actually happen...
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2011, 09:09:52 PM by Conley »

Trade West Virginia for Kansas and that is a more sensible set-up from an OTL US perspective than the current 5 region scheme.  The only thing that jumps out at me as problematic is the size of the new Western Region.

I like this proposal, actually.  I have always wanted Virginia in the Southeast since I first got into this game nearly six years ago.  It's exciting to see there is a prospect it might actually happen...
Yes, that is.  Though now that I look at it, the South may need to be paired down a bit and the northeast grown.  It would be more even if the NE had PA and DE back, and then West Virgnia, Missouri, and Oklahoma were transferred to the Rust/Corn Belt.

EDIT: Like So...

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »

The Northeast will never relinquish PA to the Southeast.  That is all Smiley
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 09:06:44 PM »

Hmm this thread has certainly gotten more response when I basically proposed the same thing a month or two ago. Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 09:07:19 PM »

The Northeast will never relinquish anything to anything.  That is all Smiley
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2011, 09:08:03 PM »

Hmm this thread has certainly gotten more response when I basically proposed the same thing a month or two ago. Tongue

Because you proposed it, obviously.  Though I do believe I responded in agreement with your proposal Wink
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »

You're from Washinton you see... Tongue

Actually your thread got more "responses" but most of that was a debate spinning off into oblivion rather than looking for solutions to concerns raised.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 09:16:48 PM »

Not in favor.  As I've said in the other thread, this proposal would make these regions less competitive because it would leave us with one liberal region, one conservative region, and one competitive region.  And while I love to see Northeast have the influence it does in these elections, I don't believe it would be fair.  The boundaries should be kept the same, but the South needs to have better legislators, is all.

I'd add Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma to the "East" and move Maryland, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia and D.C into the Northeast.

Gerrymandering.

I would like to add that the Imperial Legislature worked well for over a year, from March 2010 to August 2011. Even so, it would be in great shape today except for Kalwejt, Jbrase, & now Yelnoc running for Senate in special elections, which is of course their prerogatives & something that I harbor no ill will over. The recent batch of Legislators has been disappointing, but there is simply no basis for destroying the region when considering what has actually gone on here.

If anything, I would dare to say that our sin is that we have been too successful. When half of the Senate will hail from one region, that says something about the people of those lands.

This must be karma for allowing part of your region to secede from us. Wink
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 09:19:31 PM »

I guess the question for four regions becomes, how much effort should we put into population equity? I mean the Northeast is still rather overpopulated even if we take away PA. The current Pacific is barely half the ideal size for a new region (34.5 persons) so it would need to gobble up a lot.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 09:21:09 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2011, 09:23:33 PM by Conley »

I guess the question for four regions becomes, how much effort should we put into population equity? I mean the Northeast is still rather overpopulated even if we take away PA. The current Pacific is barely half the ideal size for a new region (34.5 persons) so it would need to gobble up a lot.
But most of the Northeast is inactive.  Besides, people can move.  Any combination might prompt a lot of moving.  I would be interested if someone crunched the numbers for the below proposal.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »

My humble proposal:

Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, West, and Pacific
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »

This thread is also exactly why these proposals go nowhere. Everyone leaps on with their idea.

As for the topic, I'm not inherently opposed to reducing the number of regions, but I am opposed to reducing the number of Senators (how absolutely pathetic is it that we're talking about reducing the number of Senators? Seriously? We have plenty of active people, and they're kept out because of the party system, not because of the way regions are structured!), as well as just lobbing a lefty region with a lefty region, and right-wing region with a right-wing region. What problem does that solve?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 10:55:58 PM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2011, 01:34:23 AM »

I like this proposal, actually.  I have always wanted Virginia in the Southeast since I first got into this game nearly six years ago.  It's exciting to see there is a prospect it might actually happen...
Yes, that is.  Though now that I look at it, the South may need to be paired down a bit and the northeast grown.  It would be more even if the NE had PA and DE back, and then West Virgnia, Missouri, and Oklahoma were transferred to the Rust/Corn Belt.

EDIT: Like So...

I think I would much prefer it if the Southeast gets Oklahoma.    
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »

Exactly what's needed.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2011, 08:27:54 PM »

Why are people proposing maps to increase competitiveness?  The partisan makeup of regions changes over time.  It was once the case that the Midwest and the Southeast were the most conservative regions and the Mideast and Pacific the most liberal; now it's not.  That can change again.  Fixing a "problem" based on present concerns just causes more problems in the future.  In any case, it's not like we can really fix it all that much; people will just move to be with similar people.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies