SENATE BILL: The Recall of Senators Amendment (rejected) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:17:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Recall of Senators Amendment (rejected) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Recall of Senators Amendment (rejected)  (Read 3163 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: November 10, 2011, 01:23:53 AM »

I feel like a recall should only be used in extreme situations, and 30% is an incredibly low bar to initiating a recall.

In most regions we're talking about a handful of people, really. I don't really love the idea of a handful of stubborn and highly motivated citizens basically initiating recall after recall. If a Senator needs to be recalled, it should be for good reason and only done if absolutely necessary. A much higher bar, in that case, should be used. 60% or so, let's say.

Then again, I'm not really sure we need recall mechanisms in place to begin with, though I admire the brainstorming.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:36:57 AM »

I propose an amendment (changes in bold):

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »

Aye.

Not sure I can really vote for a final version that's lower than that. As Bgwah and Kalwejt said, there's an STV/small parties problem with allowing recalls. I can't think of any other way to protect against that than this, especially since recalling a Senator should only be done in extraordinarily circumstances.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »

Nay. I'm just not comfortable allowing something like this with just half the population signing onto it. With small parties or close elections, we could be potentially allowing instant recalls at no fault of the Senator himself. Byway said in the initiative debate "signatures are easier to get in Atlasia." He's right. Sorry guys.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 07:07:10 AM »

Nay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies