Is it discriminatory and hateful ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:07:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is it discriminatory and hateful ...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ... to say that someone looks like a Hispanic?
yes
no
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Is it discriminatory and hateful ...  (Read 3802 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 08:52:41 PM »

The last time you posted.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 08:57:23 PM »

If a person has the skin complexion of a Hispanic person, I say they look Hispanic.  I don't see what's hateful about that.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 08:58:02 PM »

So can we all agree that Atheist2006 is a racist in two different languages?
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »

You posted this same thread on the Atlas subforum. You know the first time I saw this I thought you were misguided and accidentally mis-spoke because you are German. Then when I told you the word you used was offensive you challenged me on it, in stead of saying "oh, sorry". Only after I googled it, did you say "how was I supposed to know" (not even "oh sorry") Now I find this thread? And, I find this thingy Mikado has pointed out? I'm starting to think this is less of an accident and more of you trying to stir up trouble.

On one thing you're right: I had started a thread before this one.
Since I couldn't find the old one and because I actually wanted to start a poll about this issue, I made up this thread.
However, you should compare the time signature on both threads before spreading insinuations about me.
Furthermore, while you were putting the other thread into play you could have brought up my apology.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »

So can we all agree that Atheist2006 is a racist in two different languages?

No, we can't.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 09:21:29 PM »

Please don't hide behind the "I'm a German speaker, my stuff might be offensive in English because I'm not fluent" thing, you're clearly offensive in German too.

How can a word that doesn't even exist be offensive, be it in English or in German?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 09:52:13 PM »

No.  It is by definition discriminatory, but it isn't necessarily hateful.  When I discriminate between nickels and dimes prior to rolling my coins, choosing nickels to fit into the fatter paper rolls and dimes to fit into the skinnier ones, it is not based on hate.  Same with noting hispanic:  unless I think everyone looks hispanics, then I am discriminating.  Hate is another issue.  And hate can be discriminatory or non-discriminatory.  I know some real assholes who hate everyone, for example.

Also, as an aside, it can be tricky to identify those who "look hispanic."  Have you ever been to Spain?  Lots of folks there are Hispanic--Like, 88 percent of the population, basically everyone except the African, Gipsy, and British minorities --but most of them are of the type you'd not probably not identify as "looking hispanic" I'd imagine. 
careful, Hash won't like your Basque denying propaganda! Tongue
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 09:54:55 PM »

If a person has the skin complexion of a Hispanic person, I say they look Hispanic.  I don't see what's hateful about that.

Nothing hateful.  Just confusing.  And confused.  "The skin complexion of a hispanic" sort of implies, for example, that Sammy Sosa and Jose Maria Castro Ceron, both being hispanic, have the same skin complexion.  The use of the definite article doesn't seem merited here.

For Reference:

Sammy Sosa

Jose Maria Castro Ceron

shua, I thought about them, and the people in that little part above portugal that speak Galician as well, and decided to include them.  We could argue about those groups, but either way the point still stands.  It's a silly thread, for so many reasons and on so many levels, but it is worth pointing out, if only for future reference, that there is no particular "hispanic look."  Don't you think?

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 09:58:44 PM »

...You made one of your previous usernames Miezefotze.  Please don't hide behind the "I'm a German speaker, my stuff might be offensive in English because I'm not fluent" thing, you're clearly offensive in German too.

Also there was the whole thing about fascists being good because they cared about their autochthonous populations.

Wow, a word I had to look up! Thanks Xahar. We do seem to have a bad apple here. Sad.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 10:00:50 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And the guy says his command of English is poor, and it was all just a language barrier. You know what I say? Bullsh**t!  Give me a death point for using a bad word. I don't care. This is ludicrous.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 10:03:16 PM »

I love the idea of a guy that can't speak English very well dropping...that word casually, unless it has a German cognate that's a lot more popular than it is in English.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 10:07:37 PM »

I love the idea of a guy that can't speak English very well dropping...that word casually, unless it has a German cognate that's a lot more popular than it is in English.

There is a German cognate form "autochthon". It seems plausible to me that his English isn't very good; his writing certainly suggests that he's a German speaker.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 10:10:42 PM »

There is a German cognate form "autochthon". It seems plausible to me that his English isn't very good; his writing certainly suggests that he's a German speaker.

And a guy can just drop trippingly off the tongue the word "insinuations" (a common word in legal parlance but I bet you a majority of Americans don't know it), and not have any idea that "spic" is an ethnic slur, and he just used it because it has fewer letters in it than "Hispanic?"  Really? And his grammar is basically perfect to boot. Give me a break.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 10:19:51 PM »

shua, I thought about them, and the people in that little part above portugal that speak Galician as well, and decided to include them.  We could argue about those groups, but either way the point still stands.  It's a silly thread, for so many reasons and on so many levels, but it is worth pointing out, if only for future reference, that there is no particular "hispanic look."  Don't you think?

absolutely.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 12:11:37 PM »

I've been suspicious of him ever since the autochthonous post.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 01:53:18 PM »

I've been suspicious of him ever since the autochthonous post.

Why?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 02:32:23 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2011, 02:35:07 PM by Ebowed »

Because, regardless of any language barriers, the sentiment behind this is bigoted:

PRO = Pro Deutschland and FREIHEIT (Freedom/Liberty) are basically softcore-Nazis.

No, they are the last democratic parties that care for the autochthonous population of Germany.

Also, asking 'is it discriminatory and hateful' is generally a dead giveaway no matter how sincere the question.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2011, 02:47:28 PM »

Bigotry:

I have reported one of Mikado's post. In revenge, he has raised the infraction points of one of my posts - unjustifiably reported by the Pole - from 5 to 10.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2011, 03:02:15 PM »

Bigotry:

I have reported one of Mikado's post. In revenge, he has raised the infraction points of one of my posts - unjustifiably reported by the Pole - from 5 to 10.

That's untrue.  I originally meant to infract it for 10, but when I scrolled up, I scrolled on the infraction list, not the page.  I went back and corrected it.  Mikado had nothing to do with the infraction, and the infraction had nothing to do with retaliation to anything.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »

DIE FREIHEIT and PRO DEUTSCHLAND are entirely democratic parties defending civil rights.
Thus, nothing suspicious about my election decision.

Btw, that quoted comment has not been reported - unless our Polish forum member suddenly feels like denouncing me - again.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2011, 03:06:50 PM »

DIE FREIHEIT and PRO DEUTSCHLAND are entirely democratic parties defending civil rights.
Thus, nothing suspicious about my election decision.

Btw, that quoted comment has not been reported - unless our Polish forum member suddenly feels like denouncing me - again.

For the love of God...

GO. AWAY.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »

Why? Just because our PM scores differ from each other - in the true sense of the word - diametrically?
No. Thank you. Slam-bam.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »

Why? Just because our PM scores differ from each other - in the true sense of the word - diametrically?
No. Thank you. Slam-bam.

No, it's because you're a deliberately abrasive racist troll.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2011, 03:29:13 PM »

No, it's because you're a deliberately abrasive racist troll.

I'm neither abrasive nor racist, and I'm not a troll.

If that's the way you deal with political opponents, I can truly be glad that gas chambers are forbidden nowadays...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2011, 03:37:54 PM »

Thread locked for the sake of my inbox.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »