No one but Romney?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:23:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  No one but Romney?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No one but Romney?  (Read 323 times)
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2011, 02:44:29 PM »

The British blog Political Betting.com is currently leading with an article about how as soon as anyone comes within striking distance of Romney something happens to their campaign, the latest person being Gingrich and slips of paper being pushed under doors in IA (the article can be read at http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2011/11/16/will-newt-go-the-same-way-as-the-other-abm-contenders/

The way I read that article is suggesting that Romney wants the nomination so much, that he is prepared to tolerate anything (even if it is underhanded and dishonest) that makes his opponents plunge in the polls or drop out of the race. Am I reading it right or am I too distrusting of US elections?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 02:55:53 PM »

I think you're being too conspiratorial here. The reason why anyone who gets close to Mitt in the polls implodes is because all of the other candidates in the Republican field are fatally flawed in some way (so is Romney...but it's for ideological reasons instead of scandals/poor qualifications). Once the nation's attention is drawn to any of the others it's only a matter of time before that person tanks. Even if Herman Cain didn't have the sexual harassment mess, it was still only a matter of time before someone as inexperienced as him would have said something stupid to destroy his campaign.

As for the leaflets, I don't know if the Romney campaign has anything to do with them, but regardless I'd imagine there is a certain amount of conservative discontent with a man who has been married three times and resign in disgrace after an affair, all while running as a "family values" candidate. If he's worried about getting attacked by Romney just wait until he faces the Obama campaign and actual political enemies.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 03:18:04 PM »

Of course. Romney is a snake. He's easily one of the most disgustingly dishonest, power-hungry people to run for the presidency since Richard Nixon. All the man cares about is being president, he has no values, beliefs or morals otherwise.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »

Romney had a campaign test-run four years ago, and his team has been preparing for a second chance since then. So, yes, his campaign is certainly fine-tuned to the extent that it'd be capable of this sort of stuff. It's not a bad strategy for Romney, either. Rather than appealing too strongly to the GOP base and thus hurting himself in the General, he can just hold onto his 25-30% while ensuring that all the other candidates are damaged enough that they split evenly and don't overtake him.

Now, I don't know how actively the Romney team is going after other candidates, but you know he's doing something right when he's been the frontrunner for a year but has never faced the intense negative criticism that the Anti-Romney of the month has.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »

I think you're being too conspiratorial here. The reason why anyone who gets close to Mitt in the polls implodes is because all of the other candidates in the Republican field are fatally flawed in some way (so is Romney...but it's for ideological reasons instead of scandals/poor qualifications). Once the nation's attention is drawn to any of the others it's only a matter of time before that person tanks. Even if Herman Cain didn't have the sexual harassment mess, it was still only a matter of time before someone as inexperienced as him would have said something stupid to destroy his campaign.

As for the leaflets, I don't know if the Romney campaign has anything to do with them, but regardless I'd imagine there is a certain amount of conservative discontent with a man who has been married three times and resign in disgrace after an affair, all while running as a "family values" candidate. If he's worried about getting attacked by Romney just wait until he faces the Obama campaign and actual political enemies.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 03:27:54 PM »

Now, I don't know how actively the Romney team is going after other candidates, but you know he's doing something right when he's been the frontrunner for a year but has never faced the intense negative criticism that the Anti-Romney of the month has.

He's never faced intense negative criticism because the media wants him to win the primary. They want him to win the primary because otherwise Obama will win the general election in a rout, which is obviously not very exciting (and thus does not sell as well).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies