The Official South Carolina/CBS News/National Journal GOP Debate Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:19:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Official South Carolina/CBS News/National Journal GOP Debate Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16
Author Topic: The Official South Carolina/CBS News/National Journal GOP Debate Thread  (Read 24691 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: November 12, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »

I want military service to be compulsary for all citizens
So because you did it, I should? I thought the army supported Freedom...

Clarence's position is pretty stupid and not well thought out. I'm curious as to how he would handle a criticism like: How would compulsory military service not destroy economic output in areas such as a young man or young women owning a business being forced to shut the doors due to compulsory military service?

Or do you have a clue as to how much something like that would cost?

Or do you have any idea how much combat effectiveness drops when you have many people that don't want to be there?

Wouldn't you agree that people who criticize politicians for sending troops to war would have a much better argument if military service was compulsory instead of voluntary? At least for right now those serving chose to make a difference in the rest of the world.

I would point to Clarence's position as just another example of someone producing a knee jerk believe without really spending any time thinking about the consequences of something like that.

First of all to Chairman Sanchez, I am a proud veteran of the United States Navy, not the Army. Then again you're probably among the naive majority who thinks "army" and "military" are synonyms...

As for Wonkish1...
I do not want to elaborate much on my time in Vietnam or the Navy as I don't want to 1) brag 2) bore you with details 3) relive some of the horrors I saw. Suffice it to say that I know the tragedy that war is and the effects combat can have on a person.  This discussion began with criticism of chickenhawks who send kids to war because THEY haven't thought it out as they have no lived through it. I assure you that any sentiment or belief I have regarding war or the military is more thought out than you could ever imagine.  Your rejection of my view as "stupid" and "not thought out" is immature and innaccurate.

Your views about the economic effects are precisely why I support it.  I disagreed with some others about this earlier but I look at Isreal as a model in many ways, their military as a perfect example. Do you ever wonder why Isreal is EXTREMELY productive for its small size? Why they have the percapita highest number of startups? Why they invent so much technology for military, health, agriculture, etc? Its because of the training and experience their ENTIRE citizenry has in the military.  Familiarization with technology translates into the real world, as my naval construction experience allowed me to have a long and successful career in construction of homes.

Imagine if every citizen at age 21 left the military with very high proficiency in math, science, engineering, etc. On top of that he / she had special skills that are applicable to work, and had the discipline and work ethic instilled by the military AND skills in health, fitness, dieting.  Of course, I also believe everyone should contribute to our national security by serving as it is the right thing to do, but the reasons above are some of the many benefits it would have for our nation's economy.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #351 on: November 12, 2011, 11:12:20 PM »

Clarence's position is pretty stupid and not well thought out. I'm curious as to how he would handle a criticism like: How would compulsory military service not destroy economic output in areas such as a young man or young women owning a business being forced to shut the doors due to compulsory military service?

Or do you have any idea how much combat effectiveness drops when you have many people that don't want to be there?

Wouldn't you agree that people who criticize politicians for sending troops to war would have a much better argument if military service was compulsory instead of voluntary? At least for right now those serving chose to make a difference in the rest of the world.

I would point to Clarence's position as just another example of someone producing a knee jerk believe without really spending any time thinking about the consequences of something like that.

First of all to Chairman Sanchez, I am a proud veteran of the United States Navy, not the Army. Then again you're probably among the naive majority who thinks "army" and "military" are synonyms...

As for Wonkish1...
I do not want to elaborate much on my time in Vietnam or the Navy as I don't want to 1) brag 2) bore you with details 3) relive some of the horrors I saw. Suffice it to say that I know the tragedy that war is and the effects combat can have on a person.  This discussion began with criticism of chickenhawks who send kids to war because THEY haven't thought it out as they have no lived through it. I assure you that any sentiment or belief I have regarding war or the military is more thought out than you could ever imagine.  Your rejection of my view as "stupid" and "not thought out" is immature and innaccurate.

Your views about the economic effects are precisely why I support it.  I disagreed with some others about this earlier but I look at Isreal as a model in many ways, their military as a perfect example. Do you ever wonder why Isreal is EXTREMELY productive for its small size? Why they have the percapita highest number of startups? Why they invent so much technology for military, health, agriculture, etc? Its because of the training and experience their ENTIRE citizenry has in the military.  Familiarization with technology translates into the real world, as my naval construction experience allowed me to have a long and successful career in construction of homes.

Imagine if every citizen at age 21 left the military with very high proficiency in math, science, engineering, etc. On top of that he / she had special skills that are applicable to work, and had the discipline and work ethic instilled by the military AND skills in health, fitness, dieting.  Of course, I also believe everyone should contribute to our national security by serving as it is the right thing to do, but the reasons above are some of the many benefits it would have for our nation's economy.

To answer your questions about combat effectiveness...I served in Vietnam, when many men with me did not want to be there. Vietnam was the point of lowest morale in our nation's history. Today I read an article about how suicides among military service members have gone up in the past few years.  Still, combat effectiveness is perfectly fine now as it was in Vietnam. Readiness is formed in training, and soldiers who are not ready to go, don't make it.  Basic Training is meant to teach you how to deal with the worst case scenario
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #352 on: November 12, 2011, 11:21:47 PM »

Fantastic shot of bewilderment on Romney's face as he watches Perry give an answer:

Wonkish1

« Reply #353 on: November 12, 2011, 11:31:11 PM »

As for Wonkish1...

See Yankee the crux of this issue is economic not military(hence his military experience isn't all that pertinent to the discussion).

Clarence do you know that Israel also has a much, much, much higher start up fail rate than the US has?

Please show me how Israel's military training translates into the best education in the world for health and agriculture technology!

You haven't shown any proof that Israel's required military service leads to a high rate of innovation. Actually in the US those exiting the military have some of the lowest proportions of innovators of any group in the entire country. This makes sense because the military teaches discipline, structure, orders, etc. and definitely doesn't encourage creative thinking.
Wonkish1

« Reply #354 on: November 12, 2011, 11:35:56 PM »

To answer your questions about combat effectiveness...I served in Vietnam, when many men with me did not want to be there. Vietnam was the point of lowest morale in our nation's history. Today I read an article about how suicides among military service members have gone up in the past few years.  Still, combat effectiveness is perfectly fine now as it was in Vietnam. Readiness is formed in training, and soldiers who are not ready to go, don't make it.  Basic Training is meant to teach you how to deal with the worst case scenario

Wouldn't you agree that tactical errors today aren't even close to what they were like in Vietnam partially because today military personnel see military service as a calling that requires constant focus, attention, and improvement and that contrasts significantly with past wars like Vietnam where many people didn't want to be there.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #355 on: November 12, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »

As to mandatory military service:

My father was drafted to fight in Vietnam, so I take this issue very personally. Are there positives to forcing every citizen to do military service? Perhaps. It would teach some useful skills as specified and could teach discipline to some. But just because some good can come from it doesn't mean it's right. Forced military service is a trait of a totalitarian society, not that of a free society. Those who volunteer to join the military, especially during times of war, are brave. But they know what they are signing up for using their own free will. How many of our citizens were forced against their will to join the military, fight, and die in a war when the only alternatives were either prison or fleeing the country? Way too many.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #356 on: November 12, 2011, 11:52:54 PM »

Wouldn't you agree that tactical errors today aren't even close to what they were like in Vietnam partially because today military personnel see military service as a calling that requires constant focus, attention, and improvement and that contrasts significantly with past wars like Vietnam where many people didn't want to be there.

Tactical errors...I assume by what you mean you are referring to decisions made by officers, who clearly see military as a calling regardless of when they served. Draftees never rise far above private, seaman, airman, etc

As for the Isrealite military, start up fail rate regardless, you have to admit the amount of techonology that comes from there is proportionally far larger than any other nation in the world. They themselves attribute this to military service.

I find your comment that the military doesnt encourage creative thinking to be naive, inaccurate and offensive.  You are trying to paint a picture of the military as a bunch of grunts, men like me who did the rough jobs who are trained strictly for tasks. Did I not say in my last post how boot camp trains people for the worst case situation? When I'm in a village in Vietnam or a mountain pass in Afghanistan, and I'm ambushed, you don't think that requires more creative thinking than you could possibly muster?  Our military men and women are the most rugged survivalists in our nation.  

And training is changing as we rely much more on technology than manpower. Take for instance field artillery, the Army branch where my brother served. He'd tell me how they'd have graph paper and maps on the field and approximate the position of the forward observer, leading to innaccuracies which led to some civilian deaths.  Nowadays, you have the forward observer giving info, the fire data analyzers giving coordinates, and the men with the howitzers adjusting accordingly.

You look down upon the military for doing the dirty work to keep you free.  Lucky for you I never gave a sh**t what the Jane Fondas of the world thought, and neither did any of the men I served with. We served and people serve today because they believe in our country and are willing to be shot at, blown up, permanently disabled, and definitely emotionally scarred to defend it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #357 on: November 13, 2011, 12:21:49 AM »

As for Wonkish1...

Clarence, we dont agree, but thanks for your service in Vietnam. Happpy Vetrans day Smiley.
Wonkish1

« Reply #358 on: November 13, 2011, 12:52:13 AM »

Tactical errors...I assume by what you mean you are referring to decisions made by officers, who clearly see military as a calling regardless of when they served. Draftees never rise far above private, seaman, airman, etc

As for the Isrealite military, start up fail rate regardless, you have to admit the amount of techonology that comes from there is proportionally far larger than any other nation in the world. They themselves attribute this to military service.

I find your comment that the military doesnt encourage creative thinking to be naive, inaccurate and offensive.  You are trying to paint a picture of the military as a bunch of grunts, men like me who did the rough jobs who are trained strictly for tasks. Did I not say in my last post how boot camp trains people for the worst case situation? When I'm in a village in Vietnam or a mountain pass in Afghanistan, and I'm ambushed, you don't think that requires more creative thinking than you could possibly muster?  Our military men and women are the most rugged survivalists in our nation.  

And training is changing as we rely much more on technology than manpower. Take for instance field artillery, the Army branch where my brother served. He'd tell me how they'd have graph paper and maps on the field and approximate the position of the forward observer, leading to innaccuracies which led to some civilian deaths.  Nowadays, you have the forward observer giving info, the fire data analyzers giving coordinates, and the men with the howitzers adjusting accordingly.

You look down upon the military for doing the dirty work to keep you free.  Lucky for you I never gave a sh**t what the Jane Fondas of the world thought, and neither did any of the men I served with. We served and people serve today because they believe in our country and are willing to be shot at, blown up, permanently disabled, and definitely emotionally scarred to defend it.

So you think that tactical errors aren't capable of being made at the squad level?

You haven't provided one shred of evidence showing that the high entrepreneurial proclivities of the Israeli population has anything to do with military service.

I don't understand how you could see that as offensive. Your free to disagree, but a body that very much discourages people from disagreeing with superiors can be argued as having a negative impact on the development of critical thinking skills. That is a far cry of accusing people in the military as not having those skills(in no way have I said that) instead I'm merely pointing out that there are many traditions in the military that can be a negative influence on the development of critical thinking. You would know better than I, but doesn't the military tell you to trust your training when serious situations present themselves?

Just because the military has gotten more advanced doesn't mean that they train people to be more innovative.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Now I take huge offense to this statement. This is absolutely not true. I have over a dozen friends that have done tours in Iraq and Afghanistan one of which had a roadside bomb explode next to them. I have always showed a ton of appreciation to the sacrifices they've made and have supported their missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. Just because I vehemently disagree with your position to make military service compulsory doesn't mean I "look down upon the military".
Wonkish1

« Reply #359 on: November 13, 2011, 12:53:30 AM »

Clarence, we dont agree, but thanks for your service in Vietnam. Happpy Vetrans day Smiley.

My highest degree of appreciation as well!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #360 on: November 13, 2011, 01:09:15 AM »

As for Wonkish1...

Thank you Wonkish and Chairman Sanchez!

Wonkish- I know you did not mean to be offensive, this old sailor just gets riled up. As for evidence of the Isrealites, they say themselves that their techonological advancement is due to compulsary military service. As for training, of course servicemen and women are always called upon to remember their training which is why even for active duty there is CONSTANT training to reinforce knowledge.  But the most important thing I was told in basic training, identified as most important by my senior drill instructor, a nasty son of a bitch but a helluva brave one, who advanced on Omaha Beach, was "trust that little voice in your head."  First day I set foot in Vietnam, got a rundown by a Lieutenant Commander- I believe his name was Willis- where he repeated the same thing.  If we heard a rustle in the bushes, if we heard what SOUNDED like an animal call, if we saw bubbles in the water...if it didnt feel 100% right, chances are it wasn't, and it was your job to act on YOUR instincts to save yourself and the men around you.
Wonkish1

« Reply #361 on: November 13, 2011, 01:19:06 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2011, 01:23:47 AM by Wonkish1 »

Wonkish- I know you did not mean to be offensive, this old sailor just gets riled up. As for evidence of the Isrealites, they say themselves that their techonological advancement is due to compulsary military service.

As for training, of course servicemen and women are always called upon to remember their training which is why even for active duty there is CONSTANT training to reinforce knowledge.  But the most important thing I was told in basic training, identified as most important by my senior drill instructor, a nasty son of a bitch but a helluva brave one, who advanced on Omaha Beach, was "trust that little voice in your head."  First day I set foot in Vietnam, got a rundown by a Lieutenant Commander- I believe his name was Willis- where he repeated the same thing.  If we heard a rustle in the bushes, if we heard what SOUNDED like an animal call, if we saw bubbles in the water...if it didnt feel 100% right, chances are it wasn't, and it was your job to act on YOUR instincts to save yourself and the men around you.

I divided your answer into two parts. The second one is a very good answer. The first one doesn't constitute evidence of compulsory military service causing their technological advancement. Its an anecdotal(if even that) statement of unidentified people in Israel who make the claim your making without any real step by step explanation as to why. That doesn't pass the test of what constitutes evidence!

I hope you realize that the argument you are making not only is that people can learn valuable lessons and skills from military service(that is kind of obvious), but that it is a unique and superior method of learning high value skills relative to all other places and methods of learning valuable skills and lessons. That is a very, very hard argument to make!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #362 on: November 13, 2011, 01:20:29 AM »

As for Wonkish1...

See Yankee the crux of this issue is economic not military(hence his military experience isn't all that pertinent to the discussion).

I didn't say it was either in relation to his experience. I said that in view of his experience, people would have a very negative view of you questioning his depth of thought on this issue.

As to this statement itself, I fail to see how the crux of any issue relating to mandatory military service is not a military issue. Tongue Sure there can are economic effects, but it is by defination an issue concerning the military.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #363 on: November 13, 2011, 01:25:22 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2011, 01:26:58 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I am sure any red blooded patriot would claim their country is more technology advanced because they do X. You could probably find some poor indoctrinated soul in North Korea who would attest to such. In order judge something like that, you have to have more objective criteria and analysis.
Wonkish1

« Reply #364 on: November 13, 2011, 01:29:03 AM »

As for Wonkish1...
I do not want to elaborate much on my time in Vietnam or the Navy as I don't want to 1) brag 2) bore you with details 3) relive some of the horrors I saw. Suffice it to say that I know the tragedy that war is and the effects combat can have on a person.  This discussion began with criticism of chickenhawks who send kids to war because THEY haven't thought it out as they have no lived through it. I assure you that any sentiment or belief I have regarding war or the military is more thought out than you could ever imagine.  Your rejection of my view as "stupid" and "not thought out" is immature and innaccurate.

Your views about the economic effects are precisely why I support it.  I disagreed with some others about this earlier but I look at Isreal as a model in many ways, their military as a perfect example. Do you ever wonder why Isreal is EXTREMELY productive for its small size? Why they have the percapita highest number of startups? Why they invent so much technology for military, health, agriculture, etc? Its because of the training and experience their ENTIRE citizenry has in the military.  Familiarization with technology translates into the real world, as my naval construction experience allowed me to have a long and successful career in construction of homes.

Imagine if every citizen at age 21 left the military with very high proficiency in math, science, engineering, etc. On top of that he / she had special skills that are applicable to work, and had the discipline and work ethic instilled by the military AND skills in health, fitness, dieting.  Of course, I also believe everyone should contribute to our national security by serving as it is the right thing to do, but the reasons above are some of the many benefits it would have for our nation's economy.

I didn't say it was either in relation to his experience. I said that in view of his experience, people would have a very negative view of you questioning his depth of thought on this issue.

As to this statement itself, I fail to see how the crux of any issue relating to mandatory military service is not a military issue. Tongue Sure there can are economic effects, but it is by defination an issue concerning the military.

I wasn't questioning his depth of thought on military issues though I was questioning his thought on what the consequences of such a policy would be and the majority of those consequences are non military.

Apparently, Clarence disagrees with you. He is advocating compulsory military experience because he thinks it would improve the education of people in the United States and benefit the American economy. He isn't making the argument based on any strategic defense benefits that would come from having mandatory service.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #365 on: November 13, 2011, 01:29:47 AM »

Wonkish- I know you did not mean to be offensive, this old sailor just gets riled up. As for evidence of the Isrealites, they say themselves that their techonological advancement is due to compulsary military service.

As for training, of course servicemen and women are always called upon to remember their training which is why even for active duty there is CONSTANT training to reinforce knowledge.  But the most important thing I was told in basic training, identified as most important by my senior drill instructor, a nasty son of a bitch but a helluva brave one, who advanced on Omaha Beach, was "trust that little voice in your head."  First day I set foot in Vietnam, got a rundown by a Lieutenant Commander- I believe his name was Willis- where he repeated the same thing.  If we heard a rustle in the bushes, if we heard what SOUNDED like an animal call, if we saw bubbles in the water...if it didnt feel 100% right, chances are it wasn't, and it was your job to act on YOUR instincts to save yourself and the men around you.

I divided your answer into two parts. The second one is a very good answer. The first one doesn't constitute evidence of compulsory military service causing their technological advancement. Its an anecdotal(if even that) statement of unidentified people in Israel who make the claim your making without any real step by step explanation as to why. That doesn't pass the test of what constitutes evidence!

I hope you realize that the argument you are making not only is that people can learn valuable lessons and skills from military service(that is kind of obvious), but that it is a unique and superior method of learning high value skills relative to all other places and methods of learning valuable skills and lessons. That is a very, very hard argument to make!

Thank you Senator North Carolina Yankee

Wonkish- here is a link that sums up what I've been hearing from advocated for Isreal http://www.economist.com/node/16892040

While I disagree with the way that article characterizes the US military, it shows what I've been trying to say. I've heard this before at events done by the American Isreal Political Affairs group who have done events that I have been invited to in my area, and I was invited as part of my church to attend their national convention in Washington, where I attended a seminar on Isrealite military technology and how it transitions into their civilian counterparts.  Was extremely interesting.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #366 on: November 13, 2011, 01:30:59 AM »

Wonkish- I don't disagree with Senator North Carolina Yankee. There are definitely strategic defense benefits from having an entire population (age 18 - 49 or so) trained and essentially ready for combat if it came to it.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #367 on: November 13, 2011, 01:31:41 AM »

Only Christian fundamentalists (the Republican base) see Israel that way.

Are you saying American Jews don't?
Wonkish1

« Reply #368 on: November 13, 2011, 01:42:33 AM »

Wonkish- here is a link that sums up what I've been hearing from advocated for Isreal http://www.economist.com/node/16892040

While I disagree with the way that article characterizes the US military, it shows what I've been trying to say. I've heard this before at events done by the American Isreal Political Affairs group who have done events that I have been invited to in my area, and I was invited as part of my church to attend their national convention in Washington, where I attended a seminar on Isrealite military technology and how it transitions into their civilian counterparts.  Was extremely interesting.

Now that is at least evidence! I should point out 2 things.

1) That in the article start-ups are only taking the brightest individuals out of Israeli military. That doesn't necessarily point to it being a superior value added model. Education isn't an entity that is good at selecting who are the smartest already, but instead something that focuses on providing the highest amount of increase or growth in knowledge between two points in time. But this is a minor point compared too...

2) This article does nothing to show that the military is a superior education system than all other alternatives.

Clarence I work in Finance why don't you explain to me how I would benefit on an educational level from time in the military?
Wonkish1

« Reply #369 on: November 13, 2011, 01:48:14 AM »

Wonkish- I don't disagree with Senator North Carolina Yankee. There are definitely strategic defense benefits from having an entire population (age 18 - 49 or so) trained and essentially ready for combat if it came to it.

Yeah, but couldn't that also be accomplished by compulsory military training as others have pointed out instead of compulsory military service?

Also, the thrust of your argument has been economic not defense oriented in nature. If your argument had been "whatever the economic consequences today's world requires the entire population being military trained" instead of what you said then it would be a different story.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #370 on: November 13, 2011, 01:51:51 AM »

Now that is at least evidence! I should point out 2 things.

1) That in the article start-ups are only taking the brightest individuals out of Israeli military. That doesn't necessarily point to it being a superior value added model. Education isn't an entity that is good at selecting who are the smartest already, but instead something that focuses on providing the highest amount of increase or growth in knowledge between two points in time. But this is a minor point compared too...

2) This article does nothing to show that the military is a superior education system than all other alternatives.

Clarence I work in Finance why don't you explain to me how I would benefit on an educational level from time in the military?

Beyond the benefits everyone gets from organization, discipline, etc.....there is an entire branch of each service dedicated to finance, accounting, business management, HR. I never had any of those jobs but I suspect they are all responsible for tens of thousands of men and women.  Working payroll for all these service members- including bonuses, incentives, different rates etc- is definitely good work experience before entering the civilian workforce.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #371 on: November 13, 2011, 01:52:55 AM »

Is there a law that says he can't argue for it because of both? Your post seems to indicate he has to choose between the two as why it should be put in place.
Wonkish1

« Reply #372 on: November 13, 2011, 02:08:41 AM »

Beyond the benefits everyone gets from organization, discipline, etc.....there is an entire branch of each service dedicated to finance, accounting, business management, HR. I never had any of those jobs but I suspect they are all responsible for tens of thousands of men and women.  Working payroll for all these service members- including bonuses, incentives, different rates etc- is definitely good work experience before entering the civilian workforce.

None of what you just said would be job experience for my kind of work. If I was in corporate finance or accounting that would be a different story, but the military has basically no work applicable to securities, nor does it teach you how to sell yourself, nor does it provide any education or experience in matters of tax issues, etc.

Given my chosen career path a university provides significantly better education on those areas and designations provide even better education than a university.
Wonkish1

« Reply #373 on: November 13, 2011, 02:10:13 AM »

Is there a law that says he can't argue for it because of both? Your post seems to indicate he has to choose between the two as why it should be put in place.

There can only be 1 "crux of any issue".
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #374 on: November 13, 2011, 02:18:14 AM »

None of what you just said would be job experience for my kind of work. If I was in corporate finance or accounting that would be a different story, but the military has basically no work applicable to securities, nor does it teach you how to sell yourself, nor does it provide any education or experience in matters of tax issues, etc.

Given my chosen career path a university provides significantly better education on those areas and designations provide even better education than a university.

Selling yourself...ask any man seeking a promotion in the military. It's not something I'm proud of, but schmoozing is probably more important for an officer seeing the next grade than in anything else...too political. Tax issues have to also be dealt with all the time, especially with regards to combat pay.

Granted, nothing in the military prepares you to deal with securities. I have to say though that when I was wealthier and had a portfolio just over $1M, I chose my wealth manager based upon his military service. He was a Marine and told me that many of his clients were veterans, and his office actually directed all veterans to him so it provided him a steady flow of clients.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies