Did I discover the difference between anarchy and Libertarianism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:33:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Did I discover the difference between anarchy and Libertarianism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did I discover the difference between anarchy and Libertarianism?  (Read 2432 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »

Given I have far too much free time to do things of little importance but can't seem to get my homework done, I have thought about this subject. What is the difference between the Anarchists and the Libertarians? Finally, I think I've got it. Libertarians are anti-government. They despise military, economic, and social intervention. However, while anarchists might agree with that whole-heartedly, they despise other forms of authority as well. They despise big businesses, big Churches, etc. and would prefer that they all be torn down by "the people". Thus, anarchy could be deemed as the left-wing of the anti-authority types while Libertarianism seems to be more about letting things succeed or fail as they will and in contrast to anarchy would be the more Conservative wing of the anti-authority types.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »

Yeah, (American) libertarianism is a form of anarchism that misses the big picture. They consider government as the only existing limit to individual freedom and forget about religion, corporations, prejudices, private use of force, etc, etc etc...
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »

Libertarianism is a rather broad term, and some are anarchists while others are not. I'd say that most who identify that way are not, and are minarchists. (possibly to a level that is still not practical or realistic, but still thinking there's a need for a basic government)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »

Anarchism tends to oppose all coercive hierarchy, yes.

But, there are anarcho-capitalists.  I think of it in terms of left-anarchism versus right-anarchism.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »

Yeah, (American) libertarianism is a form of anarchism that misses the big picture. They consider government as the only existing limit to individual freedom and forget about religion, corporations, prejudices, private use of force, etc, etc etc...
You people keep saying that, but I don't know where you're getting it from.  Any libertarian that tells you it's ok to have their power limited by anybody that isn't the government isn't a libertarian.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 01:57:16 PM »

You people keep saying that, but I don't know where you're getting it from.  Any libertarian that tells you it's ok to have their power limited by anybody that isn't the government isn't a libertarian.

Of course, I'm describing the forum's libertarian core rather than the more moderate or atypical guys.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »

Maybe, but has anybody ever actually said it in those words?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »

No, as usual certain people still don't get it. Libertarians reject the initiation of force for any reason. Even if it is just lipservice at this point it's in still in the US party's oath. Hence any sort of relationship between the individual and another institution whether it's work, paying taxes, church, whatever is supposed to be purely voluntary. Of course I see major problems with that sort of line of thinking but that's basically what they believe. So really, there is no conflict unless you're talking about "anarchists" that complain about government spending cuts..
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »

So really, there is no conflict unless you're talking about "anarchists" that complain about government spending cuts..

Ah yes, the ones who are all about "voluntary cooperation" where anyone who doesn't "voluntarily cooperate" is shot.
Stardust
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 10:59:46 PM »

Properly understood, there is no difference at all between the two. The word 'minarchism' was a product of the Cold War, and the old tension between the need to "accept for the duration" of the conflict the Rooseveltian war machine in order to realize the anti-Communist dreams of some on the Right. It is, essentially, a false and arbitrary line drawn in order to make libertarianism look more appealing to stolid middle-class conservatives who would run away in terror from anything approaching an honest discussion of the subject.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 04:44:18 PM »

Anybody?  Said it....in those words?  A libertarian that tells you it's ok to have their power limited by anybody that isn't the government?  Or anything even sorta like that?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 04:56:53 PM »

Anybody?  Said it....in those words?  A libertarian that tells you it's ok to have their power limited by anybody that isn't the government?  Or anything even sorta like that?

Oh come on. Of course they don't put it that way, it's just the natural consequence of all their policy views. Get it ?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 05:29:02 PM »

No, I guess I don't.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 05:10:02 AM »

Acting dumb isn't exactly the best way to make your point.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »

Sir, this is no act! Wink

As a libertarian it would be pretty stupid of me (or them) to think that our "policies" would lead to us having our freedoms limited by the Catholic church or Apple Corp.  Why would I have those policies then?  Unless you think we want to have our freedoms limited by them, but that really doesn't make any sense, we'd just be Republicans then.

(that was a joke, Republicans don't (generally) want to have their freedoms limited by church or corp either, but, as you know, it's always funny to poke fun of people and their silly beliefs they take as fact)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »

Thanks God I took the precaution to distinguish between libertarian ideologues (wormyguy) and pragmatic people (you) 9 posts above.

BTW, who was this guy who made fun of me because I hadn't read a post ? Oh, right, that was you.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 03:28:50 PM »

My apologies, I may have been coming across more confrontational here than I wanted to.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 03:57:42 PM »

My apologies, I may have been coming across more confrontational here than I wanted to.

Apologies accepted.
scoopa
scoop
Rookie
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »

Oh come on. Of course they don't put it that way, it's just the natural consequence of all their policy views. Get it ?

I honestly don't. Can you provide a couple of examples?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 02:08:58 AM »

On further thought, that is just something we're going to have to agree to disagree on.  I don't think the regular libertarian policy views, if implemented, would lead us to being controlled by a religious organization or some giant monopoly (in fact, it would be impossible).  Antonio feels differently.  He's making a logical step off of his (in my opinion missguided) assumptions of libertarian policies and there really is nothing worth arguing about to that end.  We could discuss which policies in particular he thinks would lead us to our freedoms being limited by the church or AT&T, but that should probably be it's own thread.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies