Did I discover the difference between anarchy and Libertarianism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:10:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Did I discover the difference between anarchy and Libertarianism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did I discover the difference between anarchy and Libertarianism?  (Read 2473 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 12, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »

Yeah, (American) libertarianism is a form of anarchism that misses the big picture. They consider government as the only existing limit to individual freedom and forget about religion, corporations, prejudices, private use of force, etc, etc etc...
You people keep saying that, but I don't know where you're getting it from.  Any libertarian that tells you it's ok to have their power limited by anybody that isn't the government isn't a libertarian.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »

Maybe, but has anybody ever actually said it in those words?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 04:44:18 PM »

Maybe, but has anybody ever actually said it in those words?
Anybody?  Said it....in those words?  A libertarian that tells you it's ok to have their power limited by anybody that isn't the government?  Or anything even sorta like that?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 05:29:02 PM »

No, I guess I don't.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »

Sir, this is no act! Wink

As a libertarian it would be pretty stupid of me (or them) to think that our "policies" would lead to us having our freedoms limited by the Catholic church or Apple Corp.  Why would I have those policies then?  Unless you think we want to have our freedoms limited by them, but that really doesn't make any sense, we'd just be Republicans then.

(that was a joke, Republicans don't (generally) want to have their freedoms limited by church or corp either, but, as you know, it's always funny to poke fun of people and their silly beliefs they take as fact)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 03:28:50 PM »

My apologies, I may have been coming across more confrontational here than I wanted to.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 02:08:58 AM »

On further thought, that is just something we're going to have to agree to disagree on.  I don't think the regular libertarian policy views, if implemented, would lead us to being controlled by a religious organization or some giant monopoly (in fact, it would be impossible).  Antonio feels differently.  He's making a logical step off of his (in my opinion missguided) assumptions of libertarian policies and there really is nothing worth arguing about to that end.  We could discuss which policies in particular he thinks would lead us to our freedoms being limited by the church or AT&T, but that should probably be it's own thread.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies