Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 03:42:45 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash, Come grasp the mighty avatar of our admin)
| | |-+  Civil War in Syria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 36 Print
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 130841 times)
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2012, 12:53:43 am »
Ignore

Syrian pilot defects after landing in Jordan
 link
A Syrian fighter pilot has landed his MiG-21 at an airfield in northern Jordan and defected, according to authorities in the kingdom.

An official said the pilot landed his Russian-made aircraft at the King Hussein Air Base in Mafraq, a north Jordanian town near the Syrian border.

A spokesman for the rebel Free Syrian Army, Ahmad Kassem, said the plane had defected to Jordan and that its pilot was seeking political asylum.

He also said his group had encouraged the pilot to defect.

Syrian authorities had earlier announced on state TV that they had lost contact with a MiG-21 which was on a training mission.

The report said: "The plane, flown by Colonel Hassan Merei al Hamade, was near the southern border of Syria when contact was lost at around 10.34 am (0834 UK time)."

<snip>
Lets hope (or pray if you're into that kind of thing) he has no family or that they are already out of the country.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2012, 10:52:48 am »
Ignore

Syria shoots down Turkish F-4

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2012, 01:49:30 pm »
Ignore

Pilots are apparently alive and in Syrian custody.  Syria does not want to provoke war with Turkey and will likely hand the pilots over.

The Handsome Monkey King Son Wukong weighs in on politics.
Saturday's Cab Ride Home
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2012, 12:12:18 pm »
Ignore

More high ranking defections: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-18445370

Starting to look what happened with Gaddafi's regime, only a couple months later.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2012, 08:28:29 pm »
Ignore

Turkey threatens to cut off Syrian electricity.

Mixed bag, as that would mostly hurt civilians. 

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2012, 08:41:05 pm »
Ignore

Has any one else read reports that the rebel commanders are expelling Christians from areas under their control?

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2012, 09:39:49 pm »
Ignore

Has any one else read reports that the rebel commanders are expelling Christians from areas under their control?

Supposedly one of the rebel factions has "Christians to Beirut, Alawites to Hell" as its motto.  Tongue

The rebellion is a pretty diverse grouping ideologically (it's not even really one thing other than "opposed to Assad"), but there's some unsavory people in there, yeah.

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2012, 09:42:55 pm »
Ignore

Supposedly one of the rebel factions has "Christians to Beirut, Alawites to Hell" as its motto.  Tongue

The rebellion is a pretty diverse grouping ideologically (it's not even really one thing other than "opposed to Assad"), but there's some unsavory people in there, yeah.
And that's my concern- I want to stop massacres as much as the next sailor but will the alternative be worse? It seems we don't know at this point

Northam for Governor '17
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2012, 09:44:35 pm »
Ignore

I always tend to lean on the side of "even if the alternative is unknown, we can't let governments mow people down". 

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2012, 09:54:49 pm »
Ignore

And that's my concern- I want to stop massacres as much as the next sailor but will the alternative be worse? It seems we don't know at this point

The problem with the Syria situation is all the alternatives are terrible.  In my view, at this point, the least terrible (and still very bad) solution would be a Turkish (not US) intervention with Turkish troops safeguarding the populace, but even that would be a horrifying bloody catastrophe and I wouldn't fault Turkey for not wanting to commit to that.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2012, 11:35:57 am »
Ignore

Erdogan saber-rattles:

Erdogan: The history of our nation didn't start in 1923. Nine centuries ago, a hero from Anatolia protected Damascus & Jerusalem.
Erdogan: For many centuries, our ancestors didn't differentiate between Istanbul or Damascus, Mekka or Aleppo. #Turkey
Erdogan: Neither the lines drawn as borders of Syria, nor the despotic regime, can prevent the friendship of the 2 nations. #Syria #Turkey

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2012, 11:36:36 am »
Ignore

This is going to be an absolute and utter catastrophe.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2012, 11:55:44 am »
Ignore

The neo-Ottomanist rhetoric is an...odd...move for a PM of Turkey.

politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2012, 02:14:52 pm »
Ignore

The neo-Ottomanist rhetoric is an...odd...move for a PM of Turkey.
Its a development that has been under way for a long time. A more positive evaluation of the Ottoman heritage has been part of Erdogans retoric from at least the late the 80s.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2012, 04:45:14 pm »
Ignore

The "Bashar al-Assad to no longer be President of Syria before midnight ET 31 Dec 2012" market on Intrade traded at 60.0 on last transaction....highest it's been in several months.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2012, 05:53:47 pm »
Ignore

Two Syrian generals(!) allegedly kidnapped by FSA in Damascus suburbs.

Saturday's Cab Ride Home
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2012, 09:33:57 pm »
Ignore

Two Syrian generals(!) allegedly kidnapped by FSA in Damascus suburbs.

There's already been killings of Syrian generals so it's nothing new, of course kidnapping's a bit more difficult than just a drive-by shooting.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2012, 11:43:59 pm »
Ignore

Turkey sends military convoys toward Syrian border
Turkish troops and military vehicles deployed toward the border with Syria on Thursday as a precaution after Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan gave orders to react to any Syrian threat approaching the frontier.

Erdogan, who has given shelter in the border area to rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar Assad, announced the new rules of engagement for Turkish troops on the border after Syrian air defenses shot down a Turkish warplane last Friday.

<snip>

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
Saturday's Cab Ride Home
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2012, 12:17:18 am »
Ignore

Does anyone doubt there's already covert Turkish special forces in Syria now?

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2012, 12:28:07 am »
Ignore

Does anyone doubt there's already covert Turkish special forces in Syria now?

Yeah, the shocking thing is that they got some top brass captured alive.  When going up against someone as ruthless as Assad, having high-profile hostages is a nice bargaining chip.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2012, 11:49:31 pm »
Ignore

Interesting map.  Can't totally vouch for its accuracy, but given the situation, it seems reasonably correct and lines up well with Aleppo being the major battle ground.

In other news, 85 Syrian soldiers defected to Turkey.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2012, 04:35:07 pm »
Ignore

Syrian military at start of crisis numbered ~300,000 people.  Turkey is estimating that over the past year a full 30k of those have either defected or deserted.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2012, 09:03:01 pm »
Ignore

Syrian military at start of crisis numbered ~300,000 people.  Turkey is estimating that over the past year a full 30k of those have either defected or deserted.

Still leaves 270K plus any expansion Assad may have done.

Quote from: Ignatius of Antioch
He that possesses the word of Jesus, is truly able to bear his very silence. — Epistle to the Ephesians 3:21a
The one thing everyone can agree on is that the media is biased against them.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2012, 12:33:40 pm »
Ignore

Still leaves 270K plus any expansion Assad may have done.
From what I've read elsewhere, the vast majority are confined to barracks for fear they will go home or to the other side.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2012, 01:13:24 pm »
Ignore

Syrian Republican Guards general Manaf Tlass, once a personal friend of Assad's, defects to Turkey along with his father.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 36 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout