Civil War in Syria
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:14:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Civil War in Syria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 207306 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: February 17, 2020, 09:17:53 AM »

And when the Refugees start increasing again, a certain Poster is going to be raging "WHY DONT THE KILLFUGEES JUST STAY WHERE THEY CAME FROM" on one Megathread, while cheering Assad on as throws barrel bombs on them, on this one.

Indeed, but meanwhile he's enjoying the show very much and... who cares about human suffering or the future consequences?
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1151 on: February 17, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »

Assads army is advancing, 500000 Syrians are fleeing from him, Erdogan has 3.5 Million already and is desperately trying to push them out, the Arrivals on the Greek Islands are surging... And Tender, the Soros-funded, Islam-Loving, Kalergi plan supporting Globalist shill, is cheering it on Grin

Its almost like the anti-immigration crowd cant put 1 and 1 together...

The only realistic way to end the Syrian civil war is for Assad to win and the only way to get the Syrian refugees to go back is to end the war, so while it creates more refugees here and now it will decrease the Syrian refugee problem going forward. A lot of the Syrians in Turkey and the other neighboring states will be forced home once the fighting is over.

The Syrians from Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon will be forced back, yes. But the Idea that any more than a miniscule percentage of the Syrians in Europe are ever going back is naive. Every Syrian that gets onto EU territory is de facto there to stay, and no, they are not going to return from a highly developed European Country to a ravaged, dirt poor, corrupt dictatorship, just because the war is over, just like the Tamils never returned, just like the Lebanese never returned, just like the Kurds that fled in the 80s never did, despite all the Assurances to the contrary.
The Turkish-Russian Ceasefire in Idlib was the thing that reduced the number of Refugees going to Europe to its lowest level in six years. But Turk man bad.
And when the Refugees start increasing again, a certain Poster is going to be raging "WHY DONT THE KILLFUGEES JUST STAY WHERE THEY CAME FROM" on one Megathread, while cheering Assad on as throws barrel bombs on them, on this one.

Sure, but that doesn't change the basic fact that you'll get fewer Syrian refugees going to Europe during the next decade if the war ends fast than if it drags out. Ceasefires are temporary by nature, with a few exceptions (Korea, Cyprus), but it was always obvious that Syria wasn't going to be one of those.

You're right that the refugees in Europe won't go back, provided all the current EU countries remain liberal democracies going forward, but's that not a given for some of them (Italy, Greece, the Visegrad countries, Romania, Bulgaria). I don't think you can just assume there'll never be an ethnic cleansing of Arabs and other Muslims in all parts of Europe, that's putting too much faith in the current institutional setup.
omar04

« Reply #1152 on: February 20, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »

Evolution of the frontlines in Idlib + Aleppo countryside over the past 3 weeks:

May Idlib be fully liberated soon.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1153 on: February 23, 2020, 11:43:21 PM »

The Assad Army has launched a big offensive from the South of Idlib up towards the M4 highway.

If they also gain control of this highway, the battle for Idlib City will be next.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1154 on: February 24, 2020, 06:37:48 AM »

Why hasn’t the Turks withdrawn yet, they know that Syria is a losing battle.
palandio

« Reply #1155 on: February 27, 2020, 06:26:40 AM »

Apparently a counter-offensive by the Turkish-backed rebels has lead to them regaining the city of Saraqeb and cutting off the M5 highway (Damascus-Hama-Aleppo).

Meanwhile the army offensive in the southern part of the province is advancing.

It will be interesting to see if the counter-offensive will remain an intermezzo that costs the rebels more than the army or if increasing Turkish support (artillery, manpads,...) has shifted the balance towards the rebels.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1156 on: March 01, 2020, 02:51:55 PM »

The killing of the Turkish soldiers might lead to a dangerous escalation. Meanwhile the situation in Idlib province is still one of "humanitarian emergency" and Erdogan is threatening the EU with "open borders".

No updates from our war correspondents?
Omega21

« Reply #1157 on: March 02, 2020, 01:52:55 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2020, 02:02:48 PM by Omega21 »

The killing of the Turkish soldiers might lead to a dangerous escalation. Meanwhile the situation in Idlib province is still one of "humanitarian emergency" and Erdogan is threatening the EU with "open borders".

Turkey has already opened its border, and they have started flooding the Greek border.

Hope the Greek roll out their military/border force to prevent any massive illegal crossings.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1158 on: March 02, 2020, 02:20:34 PM »

Turkey has already opened its border, and they have started flooding the Greek border.

Hope the Greek roll out their military/border force to prevent any massive illegal crossings.

I know, my post was slightly ironic. I assume your only concern is to prevent the ''flooding'' and not the terrible humanitarian crisis. Likewise our 'war correspondents' only report the advances of the 'liberating' forces of the Syrian regime and Putin's Russia. Not a big fan of Erdogan's Turkey either. Not to mention the Trump administration that betrayed the brave Kurdish militias which liberated NE Syria from ISIS. Have you ever heard about a thing called ''civil population''? Have you ever cared?
Omega21

« Reply #1159 on: March 02, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2020, 03:21:40 PM by Omega21 »

I know, my post was slightly ironic. I assume your only concern is to prevent the ''flooding'' and not the terrible humanitarian crisis. Likewise our 'war correspondents' only report the advances of the 'liberating' forces of the Syrian regime and Putin's Russia. Not a big fan of Erdogan's Turkey either. Not to mention the Trump administration that betrayed the brave Kurdish militias which liberated NE Syria from ISIS. Have you ever heard about a thing called ''civil population''? Have you ever cared?

Women and children are fine, families (father, mother, children) are fine, fit for military service single males are not.

Turkey is a country currently not at war on its own territory, thus any argument against them being in grave danger is null and void.

I do, however, support a very large and comprehensive humanitarian effort to build proper shelter and housing, hygiene, healthcare etc., and I don't mind some of our taxes going to it.

I also hope for a fast and decisive Assad victory, so that the people can start rebuilding their home in peace.

I am a "3rd country" immigrant in the EU. The difference is, I needed to prove I don't have anything more than a parking ticket. I expect the same from everyone else, whether that's someone from my home country or any other place.

Greek authorities said 73 migrants had been arrested, but added that they "weren't from Idlib, but from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia".
https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/greece-blocks-nearly-10000-migrants-turkey-border-doc-1ph40c3

Those are countries currently not at war, and they should be held to the same rules as I was.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1160 on: March 02, 2020, 03:23:05 PM »

Women and children are fine, families (father, mother, children) are fine, fit for military service single males are not.

Turkey is a country currently not at war on its own territory, thus any argument against them being in grave danger is null and void.

I do, however, support a very large and comprehensive humanitarian effort to build proper shelter and housing, hygiene, healthcare etc., and I don't mind some of our taxes going to it.

I also hope for a fast and decisive Assad victory, so that the people can start rebuilding their home in peace.

I am a "3rd country" immigrant in the EU. The difference is, I needed to prove I don't have anything more than a parking ticket. I expect the same from everyone else, whether that's someone from my home country or any other place.

I am afraid that you are ignorant about the brutal nature of the Assad regime, otherwise you would understand that many Syrians 'flooding' EU borders are unwilling to return because there's no way to rebuild their lives in 'peace''. What peace,are you talking about? Wishful thinking, perhaps?

I am also afraid that you are ignorant -or unwilling to know- about the brutal methods of the Greek army and patrol borders, hailed by xenophobes and Nazi sympathizers (Golden Shower).

I am afraid too that you are ignorant -or unwilling to know- about the terrible and desperate situation of Syrian refugees trapped in Lesbos island and other camps. It's like living dead, according to reports from humanitarian organizations.

It's like you were living in a parallel reality, just because you wear some strange glasses or turn your head to see what you want to see...
Omega21

« Reply #1161 on: March 02, 2020, 03:40:21 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2020, 03:48:28 PM by Omega21 »

I am afraid that you are ignorant about the brutal nature of the Assad regime, otherwise you would understand that many Syrians 'flooding' EU borders are unwilling to return because there's no way to rebuild their lives in 'peace''. What peace,are you talking about? Wishful thinking, perhaps?

I am also afraid that you are ignorant -or unwilling to know- about the brutal methods of the Greek army and patrol borders, hailed by xenophobes and Nazi sympathizers (Golden Shower).

I am afraid too that you are ignorant -or unwilling to know- about the terrible and desperate situation of Syrian refugees trapped in Lesbos island and other camps. It's like living dead, according to reports from humanitarian organizations.

It's like you were living in a parallel reality, just because you wear some strange glasses or turn your head to see what you want to see...

Did you read about the nationalities of the arrested people?

Pakistan is not at war, neither is Morocco (just watched an interview with a Morrocan at the border), neither is Afghanistan, and neither is Somalia.

And why did you write Golden Shower lol

We can't really talk about this until we establish that the majority of immigrants are not from Syria:

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Asylum_statistics#Citizenship_of_first-time_applicants:_largest_shares_from_Syria.2C_Afghanistan_and_Iraq
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1162 on: March 02, 2020, 04:28:49 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2020, 04:43:56 PM by Velasco »

Sorry but Afghanistan and Somalia are suffering endless civil conflicts and extreme poverty, as well as certain tribal areas of Pakistan (not to mention the Kashmir border with India). Morocco is not in a situation of civil war, but it's sustaining a long lasting low key conflict in Western Sahara. All these countries have high levels of poverty, as well as corrupt and/or authoritarian regimes. I wonder what kind of world do you think we are sharing with all these peoples...

Anyway the issue is how to handle with the Syrian emergency. I am afraid there is neither a plan nor a clear leadership to impmement it. Good for xenophobes and demagogus
Omega21

« Reply #1163 on: March 02, 2020, 04:43:42 PM »

Sorry but Afghanistan and Somalia are suffering endless civil conflicts and extreme poverty, as well as certain tribal areas of Pakistan (not to mention the Kashmir border with India). Morocco is not in a situation of civil war, but it's sustaining a long lasting low key conflict in Western Sahara. All these countries have great levels of poverty, as well as corrupt and/or authoritarian regimes. I wonder what kind of world do you think we are sharing with all these peoples...
S

Extreme poverty =/ Refugee status

Refugees are people who have fled war, violence, conflict or persecution and have crossed an international border to find safety in another country.

If we want to maintain our standard of living and the great things we provide for all classes of our society, including but not limited to: free education, 5 weeks off, medical care, maternity leave etc. we cannot accept people who are not likely to be a net benefit, otherwise, our own people (citizens not ethnic) will have their standards degraded.

As I said, I do support temporary shelter for females, children and families fleeing war. For the rest, I support giving them aid, which is very generous considering I don't mind a % of my income going to others with no strings or repayment attached.

The argument that someone who has no high school, speaks no German and will need integration classes for the most basic types of activities will be a net benefit is absurd.

As an example, there are plenty of well-educated Bosniaks, Serbs and Croatians who require far less and are ready to work and chip in from day 1, provided only such people are let in.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1164 on: March 02, 2020, 05:46:52 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2020, 05:52:27 PM by Velasco »

It's not only a matter of extreme poverty, although that's enough to leave a country in search for a better life. Why do you overlook the existence of civil conflicts in some cases (particularly in Syria),  or the corrupt and authoritarian regimes?

Obviously the Syrians fall into the refugee category, why do you try to divert the attention from them?

The issue with Syria is that thousands or millions are fleeing the country, escaping from a civil war and a brutal dictatorship. They can't return in safe conditions, even in the eventuality of a wuick end of the ongoing military operations.

Even though the number of refugees is huge, the EU is large enough to absorb them without compromising its living standards. The issue here is the lack of political will of national governments. In the 2015 wave of refugees, countries like Germany and Sweden were generous and took their share. However, many others refused or failed to fulfill their quotas. The result is that nobody is willing to give a safe har bour to refugees now, because of the lack of solidarity and the electoral costs. But the oroblem does not dissapear, just because you want to close your eyes. What is the alternative to those thousands of refugees at the border and the thousands or millions to come? Repression and tear gas against the children at the border?, cronified internment in refugee camps? Do you know anything about the situation in Lesbos, which is a small island with thousands of refugees that nobody wants? The issue is that the solidarity of the local population has been pushed to the limit, because those thousands that threaten to collapse the tiny island could have been easily absorbed by the whole EU. Border countries and localities are also victims of the lack of coordinated efforts and solidarity within the EU
Omega21

« Reply #1165 on: March 02, 2020, 06:12:42 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2020, 06:19:05 PM by Omega21 »

It's not only a matter of extreme poverty, although that's enough to leave a country in search for a better life. Why do you overlook the existence of civil conflicts in some cases (particularly in Syria),  or the corrupt and authoritarian regimes?

Obviously the Syrians fall into the refugee category, why do you try to divert the attention from them?

The issue with Syria is that thousands or millions are fleeing the country, escaping from a civil war and a brutal dictatorship. They can't return in safe conditions, even in the eventuality of a wuick end of the ongoing military operations.

Even though the number of refugees is huge, the EU is large enough to absorb them without compromising its living standards. The issue here is the lack of political will of national governments. In the 2015 wave of refugees, countries like Germany and Sweden were generous and took their share. However, many others refused or failed to fulfill their quotas. The result is that nobody is willing to give a safe har bour to refugees now, because of the lack of solidarity and the electoral costs. But the oroblem does not dissapear, just because you want to close your eyes. What is the alternative to those thousands of refugees at the border and the thousands or millions to come? Repression and tear gas against the children at the border?, cronified internment in refugee camps? Do you know anything about the situation in Lesbos, which is a small island with thousands of refugees that nobody wants? The issue is that the solidarity of the local population has been pushed to the limit, because those thousands that threaten to collapse the tiny island could have been easily absorbed by the whole EU. Border countries and localities are also victims of the lack of coordinated efforts and solidarity within the EU

I already explicitly said I support temporarily accepting families, women and children, so you're barking up the wrong tree, I don't need convincing for those 3.

And no, we cannot accept a few million people with no consequences. Greece, a country of few million that is fairly wealthy and educated still destabilized the EU financially, so importing a few million poor uneducated people definitely can and would have a consequence. Not to mention the disproportionate crime statistics in such uneducated groups who come from vastly different, less developed cultures (women's rights, secularism etc.).

And no, they are not the main concern. I linked you official EU data, and Syrians make up only a small part of the total number, 13.9 %. In other words, 6 out of 7 asylum seekers are not Syrian.

And you are starting to sound like an authoritarian yourself.

The issue here is the lack of political will of national governments. In the 2015 wave of refugees, countries like Germany and Sweden were generous and took their share. However, many others refused or failed to fulfill their quotas. The result is that nobody is willing to give a safe har bour to refugees now, because of the lack of solidarity and the electoral costs.

Yes, if people don't want something, you don't do it, it is the definition of a beautiful democratic system.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1166 on: March 02, 2020, 06:52:21 PM »

It's just me, or the comments about ''uneducated'' Syrians sound... er... racist? How about the uneducated hooligans, or the uneducated far right voters? Would you call me elitist if I say their uneducated condition is disgusting? But insulting these uneducated fellow Europeans is wrong, isn't it? We the educated people in the western world must be empathhetic and address the concerns of uneducated people, don't we? We have to explain that high criminality  is usually related to low socioeconomic levels (yes, immigrants use to be below average income) and not to cultural particularities, that brown people is not genetically inclined to commit crimes and that whites are capable of rape and other terrible offenses. It's only that certain platitudes and common places are tiresome and fake news based on them feed the racist attitudes of our uneducated fellow countrymen and that's sad, don't you think?
Omega21

« Reply #1167 on: March 02, 2020, 07:48:20 PM »

It's just me, or the comments about ''uneducated'' Syrians sound... er... racist? How about the uneducated hooligans, or the uneducated far right voters? Would you call me elitist if I say their uneducated condition is disgusting? But insulting these uneducated fellow Europeans is wrong, isn't it? We the educated people in the western world must be empathhetic and address the concerns of uneducated people, don't we? We have to explain that high criminality  is usually related to low socioeconomic levels (yes, immigrants use to be below average income) and not to cultural particularities, that brown people is not genetically inclined to commit crimes and that whites are capable of rape and other terrible offenses. It's only that certain platitudes and common places are tiresome and fake news based on them feed the racist attitudes of our uneducated fellow countrymen and that's sad, don't you think?

No, I wouldn't. They should be thrown in jail if they break the law or call on others to go after any group. The only difference between them and the asylum seekers is they got their right to live here by birth (or however they got citizenship) and we can't just deport them or not let them in, they're already here, and they're here to stay and we're stuck with them, because that's what the Law says.

And of course not. Indians are "brown people" as you put it, and AFAIK they're statistically very unlikely to commit violent crimes, meanwhile, more than 40-50% of them don't even have a working toilet at home, so they're definitely extremely poor, and uneducated in a lot of cases.

The difference is that some people do not believe in secularism and the fundamentals of democracy and freedom. This is not absolute and can come from a mix of religion, culture, the type of rule prevalent in that country etc. Example, Bosniaks being Muslims, but generally you will have a very easy time integrating them in Western European Societies, and the difference between integrating them and Croatians let's say (Catholic) is extremely small or non-existent.

So as said, it's definitely not genetics, it doesn't have to be Religion (unless practised in an extreme form), but it most definitely can be culture. 

If your Dad, Uncle, Religious teacher and School teacher teaches you women need to be covered up when outside, you are very likely to accept that if it's done from an early age, and if you're views are "kept in check".

You really shouldn't argue this. All peoples, races and ideologies have done this type of brainwashing at some point. Christians, Communists, Muslims, you name it. I am lucky to live in a place that has grown out of most of those disgusting things, and that's why I am not opposed to funding other nations to (mostly ME and Africa) eventually go through that as well.

If you don't accept there is a deep problem with the current culture of some nations, you can not solve it if you think it does not exist in the first place.

In 2017, immigrants (defined as asylum seekers) represented 2% of the population and 15.9% of suspects in rape and sexual assault cases.

This is official BAMF info, so no, it is not fake news.

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article175907770/Kriminalstatistik-Bayern-ist-das-sicherste-Bundesland.html?wtrid=onsite.onsitesearch
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1168 on: March 03, 2020, 03:43:15 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2020, 04:32:14 AM by Velasco »

No, I wouldn't. They should be thrown in jail if they break the law or call on others to go after any group. The only difference between them and the asylum seekers is they got their right to live here by birth (or however they got citizenship) and we can't just deport them or not let them in, they're already here, and they're here to stay and we're stuck with them, because that's what the Law says

Sorry. but asylum seekers are subjects of rights covered by international law. Those seekers who are granted asylum have the same right to live here as the native population. Another question is that you oppose to grant asylum, or you want the conditions to grant asylum become harsher to the point that nearly all seekers are rejected. That desire is quite common and is often related to racist attitudes and prejudice

And of course not. Indians are "brown people" as you put it, and AFAIK they're statistically very unlikely to commit violent crimes, meanwhile, more than 40-50% of them don't even have a working toilet at home, so they're definitely extremely poor, and uneducated in a lot of cases.  

The difference is that some people do not believe in secularism and the fundamentals of democracy and freedom. This is not absolute and can come from a mix of religion, culture, the type of rule prevalent in that country etc. Example, Bosniaks being Muslims, but generally you will have a very easy time integrating them in Western European Societies, and the difference between integrating them and Croatians let's say (Catholic) is extremely small or non-existent.

So as said, it's definitely not genetics, it doesn't have to be Religion (unless practised in an extreme form), but it most definitely can be culture.

If your Dad, Uncle, Religious teacher and School teacher teaches you women need to be covered up when outside, you are very likely to accept that if it's done from an early age, and if you're views are "kept in check".

India is a vast country, often called "subcontinent". What kind of "Indians" are you referring to? Which religious or ethnic group from which geographical origin?  Do you mean non Muslim Indians, perhaps? Where cam I find statistics correlating Indians and crime rate?

Religious fundamentalism is not privative of the Muslim wmnations. We have plenty of Christian fundamentalists in the Western World that don't believe in secularism (and I'd say they don't believe in the fundamentals of democracy and freedom very much). As it happens with the Indians, the Muslim World is quite large and diverse. For instance, Bosniaks and Albanians are Europeans regardless their religious faith. It's quite obvious that it'smore easy to integrate Europeans in European societies than people fro other continents (I'd say this belongs to the kingdom of platitude), Syrians are not Europeans, although the Middle East region is historically inked to Europe. This leads me to the sentence in bold letters, which I think is particularly serious.

The claim there is a cultural predisposition to commit crimes or reject democratic values (in case ytou are meaning that) is utterly false and racist.While it's true there exist extremist and fundamentalist versions of Islam that preach intolerance, it's false that all the Muslims follow said practices. The issue of fundamentalism in schools and mosques must be addressed (some European countries try to promote tolerant versions of Islam, while discouraging fundamentalism. However, the existence of intolerant versions of Islam can't be used as a pretext to justify not granting asylum (a human right) to Muslim seekers. Syrians, for instance, are either genetically nor culturally biased against  liberal democratic values. Often the acceptance of secularism is correlated to education level. So its' important to educate the uneducated people, regardless their geographical origin and cultural background. Education is the best ally of democracy, as well the best weapon against cultural and religious prejudice underlying racism and intolerance.  
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1169 on: March 03, 2020, 08:41:08 AM »

Yes, the West must address the issue of Islamic fundamentalism. One way of doing that might be reconsidering their close relationship with Saudi Arabia - WHERE MOST OF IT COMES FROM.
Omega21

« Reply #1170 on: March 03, 2020, 12:38:58 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2020, 02:32:17 PM by Omega21 »

Yes, the West must address the issue of Islamic fundamentalism. One way of doing that might be reconsidering their close relationship with Saudi Arabia - WHERE MOST OF IT COMES FROM.

PREACH!

Need to clarify I'm no Russia/Iran/Syria shill, but they are ants compared to the fundamentalist giant SA is.

On another note:

After the most recent refugee wave, pics are coming in from the Greek island of Lesvos, showing a desecrated Greek Orthodox Church, which was allegedly destroyed by refugees. (Perpetrators not confirmed)

https://greekcitytimes.com/2020/03/02/greek-orthodox-church-in-lesvos-vandalised-by-refugees/

Being Orthodox myself and having spent a fair amount of time in Greece, I can confirm this is a typical small Greek Orthodox Church, although we will need to wait for more official sources to confirm anything.

This would not be the first time, as less than 2 years ago a large concrete cross was torn down on the same island as well.

Update:

Attack was confirmed by more mainstream media. (No perpetrators have been identified yet) On the outside there seem to be graffiti in what I assume is Arabic, so someone can translate if you recognize the writing.

https://www.protothema.gr/greece/article/980442/lesvos-kataggelies-katoikon-oti-metanastes-vandalisan-ekklisakii
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1171 on: March 15, 2020, 11:22:24 AM »

Today is the 9th anniversary of the outbreak of the Civil War.

And today is also one of the calmest days there.

Russia and Turkey are jointly patroling in Idlib.

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000115760818/waffenruhe-in-idlib-russland-und-tuerkei-patrouillieren-gemeinsam
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1172 on: April 22, 2020, 08:36:29 AM »

Moscow Times: Russian Press Names Wagner Mercenary as Likely Perpetrator in Gruesome Syria Beheading

One of the men filmed beheading, dismembering and setting fire to the body of a Syrian man in 2017 is a former police officer from southern Russia, the investigative Novaya Gazeta newspaper has said six months after it first reported on the torture in Syria.

The paper initially named the alleged torturer as Stanislav D., believed to be a reconnaissance gunner with the Kremlin-linked Wagner mercenary group, in its November 2019 report. The Kremlin had said at the time that the reported execution, footage of which appeared on social media last fall, "has nothing to do with the Russian military operation in Syria."

“There was a chance of error and Novaya Gazeta did not mention his last name,” the outlet wrote Tuesday. 

“Now that we have received new data, there’s practically no doubt. We think it’s obvious that the video shows Stanislav Yevgenyevich Dychko, born in 1990,” it said. 

Dychko — reportedly one of between five and seven men shown in the gruesome videos — allegedly joined Wagner in February 2016 shortly after his discharge from the Russian Interior Ministry. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1173 on: June 11, 2020, 09:22:23 PM »

Thoughts?

Is Assad About to Fall?
While the world wasn’t watching, Syria has edged toward collapse, and the dictator is in his weakest position ever. The U.S. now has a narrow chance to prevent a catastrophe.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1174 on: June 11, 2020, 09:36:37 PM »

Thoughts?

Is Assad About to Fall?
While the world wasn’t watching, Syria has edged toward collapse, and the dictator is in his weakest position ever. The U.S. now has a narrow chance to prevent a catastrophe.
Not happening if the Iranians and Russians have anything to say about it.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies