Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 03:33:14 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash, Come grasp the mighty avatar of our admin)
| | |-+  Civil War in Syria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36 Print
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 130883 times)
Nhoj
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2012, 03:24:08 pm »
Ignore

Syrian Republican Guards general Manaf Tlass, once a personal friend of Assad's, defects to Turkey along with his father.
The father is this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustafa_Tlass who was MoD from 1972 tell 2004.

آزادی برای ایران

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2012, 08:21:18 pm »
Ignore

In 1998, Syrian Defense Minister Mustafa Tlass boasted to al Bayan newspaper that he was the one who gave the green light to "the resistance" in Lebanon to attack and kill US marines and French soldiers, but that he prevented attacks on the Italian soldiers of the multi-national force "because he was in love with the Italian actress Gina Lollobrigida.

Mustafa Tlass had also allegedly boasted to the National Assembly about atrocities committed against Israelis who fell captive in the Yom Kippur war. "I gave the Medal of the Republic's Hero, to a soldier from Aleppo, who killed 28 Jewish soldiers. He did not use the military weapon to kill them but utilized the ax to decapitate them. He then devoured the neck of one of them and ate it in front of the people. I am proud of his courage and bravery, for he actually killed by himself 28 Jews by count and cash."

There are three missing Israeli soldiers in the Bekaa valley since the June 1982 war in Lebanon. Tlass allegedly told a Saudi magazine: "We sent Israel the bones of dogs, and Israel may protest as much as it likes."
Classy fellow!
One of his books, Matzah of Zion (1983), deals with 1840 Damascus Blood Libel. In the book, Tlass argues for the significance of the anti-Semitic blood libels, and claims that Jewish religion is one of ‘vicious deviations’ and black hatred against all humans and religions, so that no Arab country should ever sign a peace treaty with Israel.
You can really taste the irony here.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2012, 10:02:01 pm »
Ignore

Tlass and his father also have extensive (and somewhat bizarre) personal connections with prominent members of the French far-right (Syria used to be a French colony and the upper-class population is Francophone).  The Tlasses are one of the most important Sunni families in Syria and are hooked up with a lot of interesting people.

As Brown Moses Blog (which I think is the best starting place for analysis of Syria news the last few weeks) argues, "What this shows is that the 5 day visit to Syria I reported on yesterday wasn't just a one off event between the far right and Tlass family, but part of an ongoing relationship between the Tlass family and major figures in the French far right.  These links need to be exposed at a time when it's rumoured that Tlass will be promoted by the French to be part of any Syrian transitional government."

The Handsome Monkey King Son Wukong weighs in on politics.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2012, 04:48:35 pm »
Ignore

Meet Manaf Tlass:

Snowstalker's Last Stand
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Greece

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 11, 2012, 06:55:29 pm »
Ignore

Quote from: Gustaf
He can riddle me with bullets any day.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 11, 2012, 09:54:48 pm »
Ignore

Manaf Tlass, middle, at play.  Pictured with Frédéric Chatillon, former head of these lovely people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupe_Union_D%C3%A9fense  Also pictured is Dieudonné M'bala M'bala, famed for his French anti-Semitic stand-up comedy (as in, one of his videos is literally titled L’Antisémite).

Tlass really has the "bad boy" thing going.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2012, 12:23:41 am »
Ignore

Meet Manaf Tlass:

Looks like a dead ringer for Tony Curtis in this photo.

Quote from: Ignatius of Antioch
He that possesses the word of Jesus, is truly able to bear his very silence. — Epistle to the Ephesians 3:21a
The one thing everyone can agree on is that the media is biased against them.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2012, 02:41:02 pm »
Ignore

Mustafa Tlass (Fmr. Syrian Minister of Defense,Manaf's dad) apparently has a 3700 page (not a typo) memoir.   Not even Churchill had the stamina to lie about himself for 3700 pages.

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2012, 12:44:38 pm »
Ignore

Interesting map.  Can't totally vouch for its accuracy, but given the situation, it seems reasonably correct and lines up well with Aleppo being the major battle ground.

If Aleppo falls to the rebels, that would be a game-changer by setting off a domino-effect in the country that could ultimately leave the Assad regime isolated in pockets centered around Damascus and along the coast. 

Are there any indications that Aleppo is on the brink? 

Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2012, 02:11:22 pm »
Ignore

Red Cross states Syria is in civil war

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2012, 12:33:47 am »
Ignore

Major turmoil in Damascus today, as FSA launches a surprise offensive in the Syrian capital.

http://ap.stripes.com/dynamic/stories/M/ML_SYRIA?SITE=DCSAS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-07-16-17-28-58

Nhoj
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2012, 08:32:31 am »
Ignore

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/07/20127189355415804.html

Syrian defence minister and his deputy have been killed after a suicide bomber struck the National Security building in Damascus during a meeting of cabinet ministers and senior security officials, state media reported.

General Daoud Rajha and Assef Shawkat - the brother-in-law of President Bashar al-Assad - were killed on Wednesday in the deadliest assault on government officials since the violence began 16 months ago.

Interior minister Mohammed Ibrahim al-Shaar and the head of the national security office Hisham Bekhtyar were among those seriously wounded in the bombing, Syrian state television reported.

The attack took place as government ministers and a number of security officials were meeting at the building in the district of Rawda, according to state TV.

Fahad Jassim al Feraj has been named new defence minister, state TV said.

آزادی برای ایران

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2012, 08:41:04 am »
Ignore

Great news!

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2012, 08:54:59 am »
Ignore

CBS This Morning, stated that it wasn't a suicide bomber, but was instead an explosion of previously planted explosives.

People's Speaker of the Atlasian House of Representatives

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2012, 03:14:02 pm »
Ignore

Lots going on today. Many rumors, difficult to tell what's actually happening, but this is a kind of Tet Offensive.  Strike way behind enemy lines, massive infiltration of the enemy army suddenly becomes apparent, destroy enemy morale...

Huge defections today.  If even half the stories of defections today are accurate, Assad's regime is leaking like a sieve.  At this rate, pretty soon Assad will be down to just his fellow Alawites.

Confusion as to whether the attack was a suicide bomb or a previously-planted bomb, we likely won't know the truth for a long time.

Hassan Nasrallah of Hezbollah gave a speech expressing solidarity with Assad's regime...since Syria is one of Hezbollah's two backers, along with Iran, Assad's regime collapsing would have devastating effects on Hezbollah.  Might Hezbollah, in desperation, launch a coup in Lebanon?

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2012, 04:17:05 pm »
Ignore

One of the rumors is that the defense minister and deputy were killed by someone on the inside (possibly one of their own security guards), because the thinking is that it would have taken someone on the inside to get that close to them.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2012, 04:32:51 pm »
Ignore

One of the rumors is that the defense minister and deputy were killed by someone on the inside (possibly one of their own security guards), because the thinking is that it would have taken someone on the inside to get that close to them.

I don't see how it could be otherwise.  It has inside job written all over it.

Question of the day: does Assad A. take his chances in Damascus, B. retreat to Lattakia and prepare to continue the fight on friendly ground, or C. take the next flight to Moscow and call it quits?

Dereich
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2012, 04:37:12 pm »
Ignore

I don't see how it could be otherwise.  It has inside job written all over it.

Question of the day: does Assad A. take his chances in Damascus, B. retreat to Lattakia and prepare to continue the fight on friendly ground, or C. take the next flight to Moscow and call it quits?

I doubt he leaves Damascus. Any authority he still has rests on his government being the legitimate government of Syria. The moment he leaves the capital the stream of defections becomes a flood. I doubt he changes policy now, all he has to do is soldier on, slowly culling the opposition with aid from the Russians. The status quo isn't a killer for him yet.

dfwlibertylover   oh God Dereich you are in for a rude awakening on November 8th lol

00:09   Wulfric   Trump has seemed to have a lot of compassion for the poor at times

smilo           Atlas is not a place for opinions
smilo           Atlas is a place for satire
A Strange Reflection
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2012, 04:40:50 pm »
Ignore

Wow, quite shocking news. I didn't think the rebels would be able to inflict such harms to the regime. Does that indicate the tides are turning ? I'd like to think so, but I fear the civil war is far from being over...

"In the end, the world we live in is in darkness."
"That's why... we seek the light."

Noir, episode 26
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2012, 07:05:54 pm »
Ignore

http://www.understandingwar.org/press-media/graphsandstat/evolution-syria%E2%80%99s-opposition

© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2012, 07:55:36 pm »
Ignore

who should we support?

I wanna contribute to the chaos
I don't wanna watch and then complain,
'cause I am through finding blame
that is the decision that I have made
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: -6.26

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2012, 08:23:09 pm »
Ignore

who should we support?

The rebels, certainly. These figures (to me) attract much more sympathy than the Libyan rebels, and we intervened militarily to support those.

I will NOT be accepting any result other than a victory for America's next President, Governor Gary Earl Johnson Angry
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2012, 08:32:32 pm »
Ignore

who should we support?

The rebels, certainly. These figures (to me) attract much more sympathy than the Libyan rebels, and we intervened militarily to support those.

yes, problem is the latter fact.  you have a mob on one hand and the germ of yet another neoliberal state on the other.  quite a theoretical bind

I wanna contribute to the chaos
I don't wanna watch and then complain,
'cause I am through finding blame
that is the decision that I have made
Saturday's Cab Ride Home
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2012, 09:21:36 pm »
Ignore

Nice reminder to Assad: http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/07/18/227047.html

Good follow-up to a day that had the killing of several of his inner circle.

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2012, 11:41:13 pm »
Ignore

who should we support?

I tentatively agree, although at this point I think the rebels should start to get serious about uniting and organizing themselves into a plausible alternative government now that it finally looks as if Bashar al-Assad's regime might be beginning to crumble.  Before today, I can understand why they didn't feel the urgency but since the lifespan of the regime is now being measured in weeks -not months- they need to quit procrastinating and get on to it.  Make it easier for the international community (and the United States) to lend its support to their cause. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout