Civil War in Syria
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:40:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Civil War in Syria
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 48
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 206236 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2011, 06:57:59 PM »
« edited: October 10, 2013, 09:07:12 PM by Frodo »

At least it's a start:

Syria suspended from Arab League

By Liz Sly, Updated: Saturday, November 12, 5:05 PM

BEIRUT — The Arab League approved on Saturday a sweeping package of measures censuring Syria, clearing the way for a significant escalation of international pressure against President Bashar al-Assad and deepening the isolation of his increasingly embattled government.

The 22-member regional body said it would suspend Syria’s membership, impose sanctions and seek U.N. help unless the Syrian government stops using violence to suppress the country’s eight-month-old uprising. At least 3,500 civilians have died in the crackdown, according to the United Nations.

The Arab League also summoned opposition leaders to a meeting within the next three days to formulate “a unified view of the coming transitional period,” offering the clearest indication yet the region is moving closer to the Obama administration position that he should step down.

The unexpectedly severe measures suggested that Arab states are already starting to plan for a post-Assad era. That will in turn increase pressure on other powers that have so far refrained from taking action against Syria, notably Russia, China and Turkey, opening the door to the kind of international consensus on Syria that the United States has been seeking to build, analysts said.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 07:29:43 PM »

What was the symbolism to the removal of the third star and reversal of red and green?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 08:47:39 PM »

This year the UN and the Arab League actually did more than just talk!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 09:49:33 PM »

What was the symbolism to the removal of the third star and reversal of red and green?

I think it was an old flag, like in Libya.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 10:23:10 PM »

The current Syrian flag is the flag the United Arab Republic had.  It took the stripes from the Egyptian flag and place two stars (for Egypt and Syria) in the remaining Pan-Arab color.  The three stars in the old 1932 flag represent three chunks of the French Mandate of Syria (Aleppo, Damascus and Deir es Zor) that were combined to form the autonomous Republic of Syria in 1930.  When two additional chunks of the Mandate (Jebal Duze and Latakia) were added to Syria, they didn't bother to add more stars.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 04:02:15 AM »

It's good to see that someone is doing something about this. I don't know if it will stop Assad, but I hope it will have some impact.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 01:59:40 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So it's more like the Arab Sunni League.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 04:54:15 PM »

Part of an effort to build a pan-arab flag. Note how many arab countries used those colours.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »

suspended from the Arab League?!  dang, that's like slumming in some podunk dive and being told you're not good enough to gain admittance...

- "It's a private bar.  You're not welcome."

- "Are you tellin' me that I'm not good enough to drink here?"

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 05:18:06 PM »

I don't usually agree with jmfcst re: foreign policy, but yeah.  Being told you're too bad to be in the Arab League is actually kind of hilarious.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 02:00:55 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2011, 02:04:18 PM by Frodo »

How long will it be before the Arab League and the West decide to intervene?

Arab League approves sanctions against Syria

By Alice Fordham, Updated: Sunday, November 27, 11:06 AM

BEIRUT— The Arab League on Sunday overwhelmingly approved a series of economic sanctions against the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, including freezing the assets of senior figures, banning high-level Syrian officials from visiting Arab nations and ending dealings with the country’s central bank.

The decision is the first of its kind by a body which is often perceived as divided and indecisive, and some members are skeptical. Iraq, Lebanon and Algeria abstained from the vote.

Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari said Saturday that Iraq has “reservations” about sanctions and analysts doubt Iraq would implement them. And Lebanon, whose government is dominated by groups that support Assad, including the militant political group Hezbollah, also is unlikely to enforce the sanctions.

But the measures, announced in a press conference in Cairo by Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani, could nonetheless have a significant impact on the Syrian government and business community, and represent a hardening stance of Arab countries against Assad.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvenEvilHasStandards
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »

Why is everyone so lackadaisical about Syria as opposed to Libya for which we have at least 90 pages dedicated to it with almost constant updates?  Is it really that boring a topic?  Or is it because the United States isn't directly engaged (at least, not yet) with fighter jets assisting the Free Syrian Army?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 06:31:26 PM »

Syria is a very, very different conflict than Libya, and while I follow this every day (on the fantastic Middle East in Revolt thread over on SA), there's not a lot to comment on.  There won't be US or Euro intervention, and Syria has proven willing to use the most brutal tactics imaginable to succeed.  The only serious possible outcomes are a Turkish intervention or an Assad victory, and until the situation gets to the point that Erdogan has to make his decision, there's not too much to say.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 10:44:28 PM »

Why is everyone so lackadaisical about Syria as opposed to Libya for which we have at least 90 pages dedicated to it with almost constant updates?  Is it really that boring a topic?  Or is it because the United States isn't directly engaged (at least, not yet) with fighter jets assisting the Free Syrian Army?
The last part is probably right, when the jets start blowing up Syrian tanks, then the bits will start flying.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 11:12:37 PM »

Why is everyone so lackadaisical about Syria as opposed to Libya for which we have at least 90 pages dedicated to it with almost constant updates?  Is it really that boring a topic?  Or is it because the United States isn't directly engaged (at least, not yet) with fighter jets assisting the Free Syrian Army?

People are less optimistic about the end-game in Syria.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 11:20:54 PM »

There is no oil in Syria.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »

But they are a giant pain in the ass.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 11:43:02 PM »

Perhaps not, but getting rid of the Assad regime would further isolate the mullahs of Iran and leave terrorist groups like Hezbollah hanging in the wind and vulnerable to Lebanon (now freed of Syrian domination) and Israel.  I am sure both states would be more than happy to put Hezbollah in its place. 

That is my interest in the matter -geopolitical. 
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 11:47:47 PM »

Perhaps not, but getting rid of the Assad regime would further isolate the mullahs of Iran and leave terrorist groups like Hezbollah hanging in the wind and vulnerable to Lebanon (now freed of Syrian domination) and Israel.  I am sure both states would be more than happy to put Hezbollah in its place. 

Personally I am terrified of the prospect of a bosnia-type situation emerging. Supporting any one side would likely just lead to ethnic conflict on an even wider scale. Also I am not so sure that toppling the Syrian gov. would be as easy as Libya (and that obviously took a good amount of time).
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 12:04:29 AM »

Perhaps not, but getting rid of the Assad regime would further isolate the mullahs of Iran and leave terrorist groups like Hezbollah hanging in the wind and vulnerable to Lebanon (now freed of Syrian domination) and Israel.  I am sure both states would be more than happy to put Hezbollah in its place.  

Personally I am terrified of the prospect of a bosnia-type situation emerging. Supporting any one side would likely just lead to ethnic conflict on an even wider scale. Also I am not so sure that toppling the Syrian gov. would be as easy as Libya (and that obviously took a good amount of time).

If the actions taken thus far by the Arab League are of any indication, it seems they have decided that the benefits of the ouster of the Assad regime in Syria outweigh the risks -significant though they are (and not to be taken lightly).  They are already planning for a post-Assad Syria through their interactions with the Syrian National Council.    
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 12:07:46 AM »

People are less optimistic about the end-game in Syria.

That's part of it, but also the Syrian conflict is much more complex and difficult to understand, plus there's less hard information coming out.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 12:41:45 AM »

Perhaps not, but getting rid of the Assad regime would further isolate the mullahs of Iran and leave terrorist groups like Hezbollah hanging in the wind and vulnerable to Lebanon (now freed of Syrian domination) and Israel.  I am sure both states would be more than happy to put Hezbollah in its place.  

If the actions taken thus far by the Arab League are of any indication, it seems they have decided that the benefits of the ouster of the Assad regime in Syria outweigh the risks -significant though they are (and not to be taken lightly).  They are already planning for a post-Assad Syria through their interactions with the Syrian National Council.    

If Assad was a Sunni Arab and not an Alawi, than the Arab League wouldn't have done anything to him.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 01:02:13 AM »

Other than sell him tanks and tear gas.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 07:40:47 AM »

A bunch of dictators is condemning a fellow dictator.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies