Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2017, 11:50:33 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash, Kalwejt)
| | |-+  Civil War in Syria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 36 Print
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 132813 times)
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2012, 02:55:31 am »
Ignore

One of the rumors is that the defense minister and deputy were killed by someone on the inside (possibly one of their own security guards), because the thinking is that it would have taken someone on the inside to get that close to them.

I don't see how it could be otherwise.  It has inside job written all over it.

Question of the day: does Assad A. take his chances in Damascus, B. retreat to Lattakia and prepare to continue the fight on friendly ground, or C. take the next flight to Moscow and call it quits?
There is rumor that Assad has in fact fled to Lattakia and that the Army is redistributing their Scuds and topping them with mustard gas.  In slightly more concrete news, Jordan is deploying German owned (but US built and with our approval) Patriot missile defense systems to protect themselves....and (wait for it).....Israel from possible Syrian missile attacks.

cite

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
Great Again: Roy Moore's Handmaid's Tale
Old Europe
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2012, 05:28:14 am »
Ignore

Seems like Assad could follow the Gaddafi route pretty quickly now.

"Bashar al-Assad to no longer be President of Syria before midnight ET 31 Dec 2012" is traded at only 63.0% on Intrade. Buy... buy now.

Dereich
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2012, 09:39:12 am »
Ignore

One of the rumors is that the defense minister and deputy were killed by someone on the inside (possibly one of their own security guards), because the thinking is that it would have taken someone on the inside to get that close to them.

I don't see how it could be otherwise.  It has inside job written all over it.

Question of the day: does Assad A. take his chances in Damascus, B. retreat to Lattakia and prepare to continue the fight on friendly ground, or C. take the next flight to Moscow and call it quits?

I doubt he leaves Damascus. Any authority he still has rests on his government being the legitimate government of Syria. The moment he leaves the capital the stream of defections becomes a flood. I doubt he changes policy now, all he has to do is soldier on, slowly culling the opposition with aid from the Russians. The status quo isn't a killer for him yet.

Well, less then one day later it turns out I'm completely wrong. NPR is now reporting that he's fled Damascus. I had no idea the rebels were doing this well. I kinda thought it was a fluke.

00:09   Wulfric   Trump has seemed to have a lot of compassion for the poor at times

smilo           Atlas is not a place for opinions
smilo           Atlas is a place for satire

Early reports of [adjective] turnout in [location] suggest [noun] for [party/candidate]
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2012, 09:46:28 am »
Ignore

Yeah, it seems that Syria as we knew it is done.  Good riddance.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2012, 01:03:53 pm »
Ignore

FSA controls all the border checkpoints on the Syrian-Iraqi border, according to the Iraqi government.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ispIrLdwmKGnbZc_TzlUOPGFyeow?docId=CNG.eeb39b7412701b678cf051d8c5bf6266.391

The Handsome Monkey King Son Wukong weighs in on politics.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2012, 03:14:24 am »
Ignore

And even more good news, Iran Quds Force Commander Killed in Damascus blast link
Reports in the Arab-language press indicate the head of Iran's covert foreign operations Quds force was killed in Wednesday's bombing in Damascus.

Al-Quds Force's long-elusive commander, Maj. Gen. Qassem Suleimani, is reported to have made several trips to Damascua to meet with Assad and his top commanders since January of this year.

Iran has made no bones about having bolstered Assad's embattled regime with members of its own elite Revolutionary Guard, but the death of Suleimani would be a direct blow to Tehran.

Suleimani, who masterminded al-Quds Force operations in Iraq and covert activities throughout the Persian Gulf and Lebanon, is a key figure in Iranian policymaking, particularly in security matters.

A combat veteran of Iran's 1980-88 war with Iraq, Suleimani took command of the al-Quds Force in the late 1990s and has become a powerful figure in the upper echelons of the Tehran regime.

<snip>

© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2012, 12:08:39 am »
Ignore

yes people dying is always good news.  if more people died everything would be solved.  "no man, no problem"  - Stalin

I wanna contribute to the chaos
I don't wanna watch and then complain,
'cause I am through finding blame
that is the decision that I have made
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2012, 12:08:53 am »
Ignore

The case for pessimism!: The violence in Syria may be a long way from being over:

link

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

What is your opinion of this thread?

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2012, 12:34:11 am »
Ignore

yes people dying is always good news.  if more people died everything would be solved.
Yes, that's exactly what I said. Roll Eyes  Your idiocy is extra high tonight, there a reason?

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2012, 12:39:05 am »
Ignore

Israel may seize advanced weapons in Syria
Israel is preparing for a possible military intervention in Syria in case the Syrian government hands missiles or chemical weapons to Hezbollah in Lebanon, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said on Friday.

"I have instructed the military to increase its intelligence preparations and prepare what is needed so that ... (if necessary) ... we will be able to consider carrying out an operation," Barak said in an interview on Channel 10 television.

"We are following ... the possible transfer of advanced munitions systems, mainly anti-aircraft missiles or heavy ground-to-ground missiles, but there could also be a possibility of the transfer of chemical means (weapons) from Syria to Lebanon," he added.

"The moment (Syrian President Bashar al-Assad) starts to fall we will conduct intelligence monitoring and will liaise with other agencies," Barak said.

Hezbollah, which has in the past received military and financial support from Syria and Iran, launched thousands of mainly short-range rockets into Israel during Israel's 2006 offensive in southern Lebanon, but some longer-range rockets reached central Israel.

<snip>

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2012, 09:57:26 am »
Ignore

20-30k people from Damascus flee to Lebanon.

Between that and Damascus' Alawites fleeing for the coast, the old city must be feeling a bit empty (in addition to being an all-out warzone).

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2012, 11:59:16 am »
Ignore

Kurdish nationalists in Syria make their play, seizing two towns in Syria's remote northeast and attempting to take a third.  Syria has a relatively small Kurdish population, but Syrian Kurdistan is removed pretty far from where most of Syria's population is concentrated.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2012, 03:57:07 pm »
Ignore

yes people dying is always good news.  if more people died everything would be solved.
Yes, that's exactly what I said. Roll Eyes  Your idiocy is extra high tonight, there a reason?

you cheered a death, and I extrapolated.

I wanna contribute to the chaos
I don't wanna watch and then complain,
'cause I am through finding blame
that is the decision that I have made
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2012, 10:38:06 pm »
Ignore

It's official -the Obama administration is now focused on overthrowing Bashar al-Assad's regime

It's about time. 

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2012, 11:00:53 pm »
Ignore

The Obama administration should be focused on thee economy.

Trounce-'em Theresa
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2012, 11:12:12 pm »
Ignore

Multitasking is a thing that happens.

Professor Nathan. A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights. Can you really trust him?

Yeah that's right, I said Siam. Why don't you go tell Pedro Martinez
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 22, 2012, 03:03:27 pm »
Ignore

Multitasking is a thing that happens.

Let's not overestimate these politicians.

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2012, 11:01:05 pm »
Ignore

The regime is getting desperate -they are threatening to unleash the hounds of hell from their stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons if any foreign power intervenes on behalf of the rebels.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2012, 12:56:09 am »
Ignore

Which is funny, because they've always claimed they didn't have them.  link
Syria has refuted US allegations that it is developing chemical weapons, saying such claims are designed to further the interests of Israel.
It follows condemnation of the US by fellow Arab countries, Russia and the European Union for making threats against Syria over the war in Iraq.

A statement released by the Syrian Government condemned US "threats and falsifications", saying that the "escalated language of threats and accusations by some American officials against Syria" was aimed at "damaging its steadfastness".

"The cabinet rejected these accusations and allegations and saw them as a response to Israeli stimulus and a service to its [Israel's] goals and expansive greed," the statement added.

<snip>
Of course the rest of the world put their fingers in their ears and said "nah nah nah, I can't hear you, nah nah nah".
However, both Spain and the UK, crucial US allies in the war in Iraq, have refused to back the US' claims.

UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, on a visit to Central Command in Qatar, refused to back Washington's line, saying Syria was run by "intelligent people who have the future interest and welfare of their country at heart".

Spain - another key US ally in the Iraq war - said Syria was a friend of Spain and ruled out military action against Damascus.

The US has also faced disapproval over its stance from France, the European Union and Russia.

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan has expressed concern that recent statements about Syria may further destabilise the Middle East, while the Secretary General of the Arab League, Amr Musa, said he was astounded by the threats.

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Latvia

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2012, 01:29:23 am »
Ignore

Which is funny, because they've always claimed they didn't have them.  link
Syria has refuted US allegations that it is developing chemical weapons, saying such claims are designed to further the interests of Israel.
It follows condemnation of the US by fellow Arab countries, Russia and the European Union for making threats against Syria over the war in Iraq.

A statement released by the Syrian Government condemned US "threats and falsifications", saying that the "escalated language of threats and accusations by some American officials against Syria" was aimed at "damaging its steadfastness".

"The cabinet rejected these accusations and allegations and saw them as a response to Israeli stimulus and a service to its [Israel's] goals and expansive greed," the statement added.

<snip>
Of course the rest of the world put their fingers in their ears and said "nah nah nah, I can't hear you, nah nah nah".
However, both Spain and the UK, crucial US allies in the war in Iraq, have refused to back the US' claims.

UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, on a visit to Central Command in Qatar, refused to back Washington's line, saying Syria was run by "intelligent people who have the future interest and welfare of their country at heart".

Spain - another key US ally in the Iraq war - said Syria was a friend of Spain and ruled out military action against Damascus.

The US has also faced disapproval over its stance from France, the European Union and Russia.

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan has expressed concern that recent statements about Syria may further destabilise the Middle East, while the Secretary General of the Arab League, Amr Musa, said he was astounded by the threats.

Is it possible that Syria is making a desperate bluff in order to prevent NATO from getting involved?

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2012, 01:35:05 am »
Ignore

What do you mean?  That they don't have Chem and Bio weapons? (they certainly do) or that they wouldn't use them in this situation?...but then why have them?

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Latvia

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2012, 01:46:51 am »
Ignore

What do you mean?  That they don't have Chem and Bio weapons? (they certainly do) or that they wouldn't use them in this situation?...but then why have them?

Has this been confirmed by international inspectors, or do they have them in the same sense that Saddam Hussein "had" them? (in a desperate bluff to thwart another Iranian invasion)

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2012, 01:54:14 am »
Ignore

I'm reminded of this epic quote from Baghdad Bob:

"It has been rumored that we have fired scud missiles into Kuwait. I am here now to tell you, we do not have any scud missiles and I don't know why they were fired into Kuwait."

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

What is your opinion of this thread?

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Latvia

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2012, 02:02:27 am »
Ignore

I'm reminded of this epic quote from Baghdad Bob:

"It has been rumored that we have fired scud missiles into Kuwait. I am here now to tell you, we do not have any scud missiles and I don't know why they were fired into Kuwait."

Is this in reaction to my skepticism? I was asking an honest question, as game theory would dictate that Syria is better off claiming to have weapons regardless of if they are actually there.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2012, 02:04:40 am »
Ignore

What do you mean?  That they don't have Chem and Bio weapons? (they certainly do) or that they wouldn't use them in this situation?...but then why have them?

Has this been confirmed by international inspectors, or do they have them in the same sense that Saddam Hussein "had" them? (in a desperate bluff to thwart another Iranian invasion)
I suppose it's possible, I seriously doubt it though.  Of course neither of us have any skin in the game.  Those that do should take the threat seriously though....no?  I'm guessing you wouldn't care if some of it fell into the hands of the Hezzys, but I'm sure those living in Tel Aviv and Beirut do though.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 36 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout