Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 16, 2017, 10:06:31 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash, Kalwejt)
| | |-+  Civil War in Syria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 36 Print
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 132690 times)
Nhoj
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2012, 12:53:08 pm »
Ignore

The PMs replacement is a alawite.

آزادی برای ایران

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 08, 2012, 09:34:22 pm »
Ignore

A Russian general Wednesday denied reports he had been killed by rebels in Syria during an operation against President Bashar al-Assad's top security men.

General Vladimir Kuzheyev told reporters at a hastily arranged press conference at the Russian Defense Ministry in Moscow that he was flattered by the attention and happy to report he was well.

"I thank the media for devoting such great attention to my humble persona," Kuzheyev said in comments also posted on the defense ministry's official website and replayed on state television.

"As a general, I understand that this information was not just a provocation aimed against me but also—and most importantly—against my country."

The Handsome Monkey King Son Wukong weighs in on politics.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2012, 07:07:24 pm »
Ignore

Erdogan went there:

Erdogan criticized Assad, asking: “Can we even say that he is a Muslim?”

PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2012, 07:23:19 pm »
Ignore

The rebels have lost a "key district" of Aleppo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19192413
phk
phknrocket1k
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 09, 2012, 10:10:33 pm »
Ignore

Lebanon isn't going to take sudden demographic changes too well.

Nhoj
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 09, 2012, 11:35:59 pm »
Ignore

Lebanon isn't going to take sudden demographic changes too well.
Speaking of Lebanon a former minister and pro-Syrian regime guy there was arrested "for security reasons,"  http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/49451-michel-samaha-arrested-for-security-reasons

آزادی برای ایران

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 10, 2012, 12:01:59 am »
Ignore

and Two top clerics call on Lebanon’s Shiites to back Syrian uprising
Two prominent Shiite clerics in Lebanon, Mohammad Hassan al-Amin and Hani Fahs, issued a joint statement on Thursday calling on Lebanon’s Shiites to support the popular uprising in neighboring Syria.

“We call on [Lebanon’s Shiites to] support the Arab uprisings…particularly the Syrian [one] which will triumph, God willing.”   

“Among the [factors] that guarantee a [good] future for us in Lebanon, is for Syria to be stable, free, and ruled by a democratic, pluralist and modern state,” the two signatories said. 

The two Shiite clerics added: “We reveal our unwavering stance in support of the Syrian uprising in an unambiguous [and] non-aggressive way; the same way we backed the Palestinian, Iranian, Egyptian, Yemeni and Libyan revolutions and sympathized with the reform movements and popular [protests] in Iran, Bahrain, Mauritania and Sudan.”

Hezbollah is the largest Shiite party in Lebanon and spearheads the pro-Syrian regime March 8 alliance. 

Lebanon’s political scene is split between supporters of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime, led by Hezbollah, and the pro-Western March 14 camp.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: August 13, 2012, 08:00:40 am »
Ignore

Rebels claim to have downed a Syrian jet

The footage is on YouTube and is already being linked to in other stories - it's a MiG-23BN, a supersonic ground-attack jet.

PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 17, 2012, 12:17:26 am »
Ignore

The UN has ended its observer mission in Syria:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/middle-east/UN-ends-observer-mission-in-Syria-as-Aleppo-under-renewed-attack/articleshow/15527837.cms
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 17, 2012, 06:11:48 am »
Ignore

"Assad to no longer be President of Syria by Dec. 31, 2012" is down to 46.1 on Intrade.  It hasn't been a good couple of weeks for the opposition, though I still think Assad is doomed in the long run.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

What is your opinion of this thread?

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 19, 2012, 01:03:46 pm »
Ignore

Bashar al-Assad goes clean-shaven in his first public appearance in a month:

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2012, 11:16:13 pm »
Ignore

Few tidbits.  Maher al-Assad, Bashar's little bro, was wounded a few days ago, still some confusion on that.

More relevant to most of us, an American journalist named Austin Tice has gone missing in Syria and hasn't been heard from in two weeks.  Either he's lost his phone or something is seriously wrong.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2012, 06:04:32 am »
Ignore

Paris backs Syria no-fly zone as fighting grows
France signaled Thursday that it was prepared to take part in enforcing a partial no-fly zone over Syria, piling pressure on President Bashar Assad's embattled regime as it widens a major offensive against rebels in Damascus and surrounding areas.

French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian urged the international community to consider backing a no-fly zone over parts of Syria, but cautioned that closing the Arab nation's entire air space would be tantamount to "going to war" and require a willing international coalition that does not yet exist.

<snip>

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
A Strange Reflection
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 24, 2012, 06:12:35 pm »
Ignore

Let's hope this is more than lip service...

"In the end, the world we live in is in darkness."
"That's why... we seek the light."

Noir, episode 26
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 29, 2012, 02:28:25 am »
Ignore

Iran Said to Send Troops to Bolster Syria
Iran is sending commanders from its elite Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps and hundreds of foot soldiers to Syria, according to current and former members of the corps.The personnel moves come on top of what these people say are Tehran's stepped-up efforts to aid the military of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad with cash and arms. That would indicate that regional capitals are being drawn deeper into Syria's conflict—and undergird a growing perception among Mr. Assad's opponents that the regime's military is increasingly strained.

A commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, or IRGC, appeared to offer Iran's first open acknowledgment of its military involvement in Syria.

"Today we are involved in fighting every aspect of a war, a military one in Syria and a cultural one as well," Gen. Salar Abnoush, commander of IRGC's Saheb al-Amr unit, told volunteer trainees in a speech Monday. The comments, reported by the Daneshjoo news agency, which is run by regime-aligned students, couldn't be independently verified. Top Iranian officials had previously said the country isn't involved in the conflict.

Iran has long trained members of the Syrian security apparatus in cybersecurity and spying on dissidents, U.S. officials and Syrian opposition members have said. The decision to send Iranian personnel comes after rebel attacks this summer in Syria's biggest cities, Damascus and Aleppo, in particular an explosion in July that killed four members of Mr. Assad's inner circle, according to the people familiar with the IRGC.

<snip>

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2012, 03:13:24 pm »
Ignore

Current, useful map of control, for those interested:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:16:47 pm by The Mikado »Logged

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Latvia

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 17, 2012, 04:30:34 pm »
Ignore

who should we support?

The rebels, certainly. These figures (to me) attract much more sympathy than the Libyan rebels, and we intervened militarily to support those.

I tentatively agree, although at this point I think the rebels should start to get serious about uniting and organizing themselves into a plausible alternative government now that it finally looks as if Bashar al-Assad's regime might be beginning to crumble.  Before today, I can understand why they didn't feel the urgency but since the lifespan of the regime is now being measured in weeks -not months- they need to quit procrastinating and get on to it.  Make it easier for the international community (and the United States) to lend its support to their cause. 

LOL

A Strange Reflection
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2012, 02:13:42 pm »
Ignore

Even worse: this thread was titled "End of the Bashar al-Assad Regime is in Sight"... back in January. Tongue

Noir, episode 26
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2012, 06:30:45 pm »
Ignore

Any particular reason why the two of you are acting like jackasses?  Having a bad day, perhaps?  Tongue

Yes, I was overly optimistic regarding the demise of Bashar al-Assad's regime -but it looked justified at the time.  

Give it a rest.  

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Latvia

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2012, 06:37:50 pm »
Ignore

Any particular reason why the two of you are acting like jackasses?  Having a bad day, perhaps?  Tongue

Yes, I was overly optimistic regarding the demise of Bashar al-Assad's regime -but it looked justified at the time.  

Give it a rest.  

Sorry, not to pick on you personally. I just thought at the time that such "optimism" was ridiculous (especially after we witnessed how long the Libyan fiasco took) and could be used for comic effect at a later date. Three months seems to be an adequate amount of time for my vindication.

A Strange Reflection
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2012, 06:55:37 pm »
Ignore

Any particular reason why the two of you are acting like jackasses?  Having a bad day, perhaps?  Tongue

Give it a rest. 

Oh, I'm really sorry. As SPC's, my post was absolutely not meant to pick on you.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:57:37 pm by Californian Tony »Logged

Noir, episode 26
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 02, 2012, 05:08:55 am »
Ignore

a little good news Top Hezbollah operative in Syria killed
Lebanese media reported Tuesday that Ali Hussein Nassif, Hezbollah's commander in Syria, was killed in a military operation.

No details were given as to the nature of the operation. He was reportedly killed on Sunday, along with several other Hezbollah operatives.

A Hezbollah statement to the local media said only that Nassif was killed during "operational activity."

Nassif was in charge of all Hezbollah operations in Syria, and served as the liaison between the Shiite group and Bashar Assad's forces.

<snip>

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 02, 2012, 05:41:17 am »
Ignore

Great

danny
YaBB God
Israel

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 03, 2012, 02:28:09 pm »
Ignore

A mortar attack from Syria killed 5 Turks, Turkey has responded by bombing Syria. This could be a big turning point in the war.

TRIPLE ROCK
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 04, 2012, 09:36:45 am »
Ignore

Turkish parliament authorizes the PM to order military action against Syria: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19830928

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 36 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout