Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2017, 06:01:40 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2018 predictions for US Senate are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash, Kalwejt)
| | |-+  Civil War in Syria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 36 Print
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 132786 times)
njwes
United States

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 17, 2013, 12:05:20 am »
Ignore

Rebel caught on video eating heart of dead soldier: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22523804 (not a link to the actual video)

Surprised nobody posted it... not.

But I'm SURE he's just a single bad apple sullying the reputation of otherwise noble rebel forces, right? Right??
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 17, 2013, 02:32:04 am »
Ignore

The Navy arm of the Free Syrian Army must be getting fierce!

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
Make Politics Boring Again
exnaderite
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 17, 2013, 02:48:05 am »
Ignore

Rebel caught on video eating heart of dead soldier: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22523804 (not a link to the actual video)

The west supporting a rebellion by radical Islamists in a proxy war against Russia. Hasn't this happened before?

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 17, 2013, 02:54:36 am »
Ignore

The west supporting a rebellion by radical Islamists in a proxy war against Russia. Hasn't this happened before?

Don't worry, we always stay good friends with our allies in that part of the world like the Afghan Mujahideen and Saddam Hussein.

Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 17, 2013, 07:49:03 am »
Ignore

I've come to the point where I don't really care which side wins.
TRIPLE ROCK
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 17, 2013, 08:12:29 am »
Ignore

But I'm SURE he's just a single bad apple sullying the reputation of otherwise noble rebel forces, right? Right??

Actually from the article:

The main Syrian opposition coalition said he would be put on trial.

Disturbing but not exactly a war crime in my view anyway, biting the heart of someone who's already dead doesn't hurt the dead person any more than they already are.

exnaderite
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 17, 2013, 09:05:30 pm »
Ignore

The main Syrian opposition coalition said he would be put on trial.

Disturbing but not exactly a war crime in my view anyway, biting the heart of someone who's already dead doesn't hurt the dead person any more than they already are.

Maybe eating a dead person's body isn't a war crime per se, but committing an indignity against a human body is unnecessary and obscene. Especially when the Koran expressly forbids it.

I don't believe the promise. The Syrian rebellion ceased being an organized fighting force like in Libya long ago, and the longer it drags on the more the radical Islamist groups marginalize what's left of the genuinely pro-democratic opposition.

Assad played his cards well in turning the initially peaceful and non-sectarian demands for democracy into a sectarian bloodbath.

TRIPLE ROCK
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 17, 2013, 09:18:02 pm »
Ignore

Well if the Koran forbids it, that's just evidence AGAINST someone being a radical Islamist.

Regardless it's a lot of debate over one person. I'm sure you could find more than a few cases of Assad's forces desecrating the dead.

exnaderite
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 17, 2013, 11:34:46 pm »
Ignore

Well if the Koran forbids it, that's just evidence AGAINST someone being a radical Islamist.
The Bible forbids plenty of things. Doesn't stop self-proclaimed Christians from doing so.

Regardless it's a lot of debate over one person. I'm sure you could find more than a few cases of Assad's forces desecrating the dead.
There you go. By equating the rebels with Assad's forces, it's clear to everyone that there's no good side in this war. And if anything, Assad and Putin can occupy the moral high ground claiming they're preventing a genocide against minority groups. Putin expressly promised to make protecting Christians a priority of his foreign policy before retaking the presidency last year.

Blue3
Starwatcher
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 19, 2013, 01:47:09 pm »
Ignore

Yesterday, Assad said he liked the Russia-US idea of new peace-talks.

Today, Assad said he's happy because the peace-talks will fail and the US will have to deal with a regime victory.

Maybe it's not in our best interests to support peace talks?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/assad-peace-talks-fail-america-160642097.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 22, 2013, 03:15:57 pm »
Ignore

Chancellor Faymann has said that if the EU fails to reach an agreement on the arms embargo for the Syrian rebels that's running out in June, Austria might pull out of the Golan completely. Currently, Austria has 400 soldiers in the Golan between Israel and Syria as part of a UN peacekeeping mission that started in the 70s. If Austria moves out, the Philippines will do so as well (they have said so a few weeks ago). Austria and the Philippines have almost all troops there, just a few Indian troops are there as well. Arming the rebels would be way too dangerous for our soldiers there, especially if they or the regime decides to attack Israel via the Golan. Vice Chancellor Spindelegger and Defense Minister Klug back the Chancellor on this issue.
Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 22, 2013, 11:53:53 pm »
Ignore

I'm reposting a comment here found in The Economist by a man by the name or pseudonym of 'Mark Dowe' (p.s. I have explored this person's online footprint and he is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever encountered on the Internet)

Jabhat al-Nusra has been steadily winning battles and gaining popular support since its inception in January 2012. Last month, its leader was forced to publicly clarify the group’s relationship with al-Qaeda. In a YouTube video posted on April 10, Abu Mohammed al-Jawlani said: ‘The sons of al-Nusra pledge allegiance to Sheikh Ayman al-Zawahiri’, Osama bin Laden’s right-hand man and the acting head of al-Qaeda.

With that declaration, Jawlani heightened suspicions in the West that significant elements of the Syrian opposition are ideologically and tactically aligned with al-Qaeda. Nusra is now deemed a ‘terrorist’ organisation by the United States.

Jabhat al-Nusra has attracted radical fighters, including those that fought battles in Libya, Iraq and Afghanistan. The organisation is considered one of the most effective groups battling the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. The group’s roots can also be traced back to the activities of deceased al-Qaeda leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi during the early 2000s. Fighting US forces in Iraq, Zarqawi is believed to have amassed fighters, sending some to Syria and Lebanon to establish branches of his network – so called ‘guesthouses’ to train and funnel fighters to Iraq. When it became clear the Syrian uprising of 2011 evolved into a full and bloodied civil war, many of those experienced fighters in Iraq detoured to Syria, with the goal of removing Assad in the hope of establishing an Islamic caliphate in the Levant.

The experience of the al-Nusra fighters as jihadists sets them apart from other groups, such as the ragtag Free Syrian Army. This experience helps Nusra to identify goals and to strategise more effectively, and they often plan in other countries. There tactics are reflective of their training in asymmetric warfare in Iraq – car bombings, suicide missions, and the targeting of security forces.

Nusra is now a well-disciplined and organised group that is gaining more and more ground against the Assad regime. Syrians are increasingly throwing their support behind the rebel groups, in spite of its Islamist ideologies. Previously, too, the United States had decried Jabhat al-Nusra as being the bogeyman of the West. Support – or at least resigned acceptance – comes from many sides now, some unexpected. Some, for example, say that al-Nusra’s Salafist leanings do not pose any risk to the freedom of Syrians or the type of power that will emerge in Syria after the war. Many Syrians believe that al-Nusra can protect the people, rather than exploit them (as has been the case with some other Free Syrian Army brigades). Others, though, such as Abdelbaset Sieda, president of the Syrian National Council, emphasises that al-Nusra’s radical ideology is a complete anathema to Syria’s moderate social environment which thrives on diversity, rather than narrow and literal interpretations of Islamic scripture.

"Clinton failed, Bush failed, and Obama failed [to start a nuclear war]. I won't fail." - Donald J. Trump
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 26, 2013, 02:00:13 am »
Ignore

Hassan Nasrallah went on TV earlier in the day and made his most emphatic statement of support for Assad to date:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/middleeast/la-fg-syria-fighting-hezbollah-20130526,0,7835258.story

The leader of the militant group Hezbollah on Saturday aligned his powerful movement squarely behind the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad and vowed victory against Syrian rebels, whom he assailed as proxy warriors for the West and Israel.

The televised comments by Hassan Nasrallah were the most definitive to date rallying Hezbollah to the defense of Assad's government, which has been trying to put down a revolt by rebels supported by the United States and its allies.

The comments came as Syrian government forces, assisted by Hezbollah militiamen, intensified their assault on the strategic Syrian town of Qusair, near the Lebanese border. Both sides reported fierce fighting in Qusair six days after Syrian forces and their Hezbollah allies launched an attack on the longtime rebel stronghold.

Then a few hours later, two rockets hit Beirut neighborhoods that are strongholds of Hezbollah:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/05/26/lebanon-hezbollah-beirut-syria/2361459/

Though we don't know who fired them.  Presumably either Israel or Syrian rebels?  Or Sunni islamists who are sympathetic to the Syrian rebels?  Who the heck knows anymore, with this many players now involved?

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

What is your opinion of this thread?

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 27, 2013, 01:35:04 pm »
Ignore

It's clear where this guy's sympathies lie, but he's still pretty funny (as he was during the Arab Spring):

http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

"Clinton failed, Bush failed, and Obama failed [to start a nuclear war]. I won't fail." - Donald J. Trump
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 27, 2013, 04:05:22 pm »
Ignore

A regular Baghdad Bob this guy is.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 28, 2013, 02:49:22 pm »
Ignore

Russia sending S300 anti-aircraft weapons to Assad, nobody else likes this, Israel promises a response.

link
A senior Israeli defense official warned on Tuesday that Russia’s plan to send sophisticated anti-aircraft weapons systems to Syria’s President Bashar Assad was a “threat” and signaled Israel could take some form of unspecified action in response.

<snip>

Russia on Tuesday reiterated its intention to go ahead with the arms deal. Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov said it would “restrain some hotheads from escalating the conflict to the international scale," according to Russia Today.

His comments came after the European Union agreed to lift an arms embargo that prevented weapons from being sent to the rebels fighting Assad’s forces.

French foreign ministry spokesman Philippe Lalliot said France could potentially send arms to the opposition before the embargo expires on Aug. 1, but said it had no immediate plans to do so, Reuters reported.

<snip>

Israel’s Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon told reporters that the looming shipment of Russian anti-aircraft S300 missiles was “a threat,” according to reports in the Haaretz newspaper and elsewhere.

“The shipments haven’t set out yet and I hope they won’t. If they do arrive in Syria, God forbid, we’ll know what to do,” he said.

<snip>

Ryabkov defended the deal with Syria. “Those systems by definition cannot be used by militant groups on the battlefield,” he said, according to Russia Today. “We consider this delivery a factor of stabilization. We believe that moves like this one to a great degree restrain some hotheads from escalating the conflict to the international scale, from involving external forces.”

<snip>

Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 28, 2013, 03:17:58 pm »
Ignore

The more Israel attacks Assad, the more credibility it gives to the regime.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 28, 2013, 03:39:23 pm »
Ignore

To who other than bigots?

politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 28, 2013, 03:49:50 pm »
Ignore

The more Israel attacks Assad, the more credibility it gives to the regime.

Its hard to see that there are any population groups in Syria that would suddenly start to back the regime at this point just because of anti-Israeli sentiments.

Israel is clearly a secondary issue in the middle of a ferocious civil war.

Blue3
Starwatcher
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 30, 2013, 08:34:57 pm »
Ignore

Assad promises to attack Israel, if they bomb a site in Syria again

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/05/2013530194217674256.html
Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 30, 2013, 08:42:40 pm »
Ignore

Uh, you do realize that most Muslims have an unfavorable opinion of Israel, right? (I may just be understating things a bit Wink )

But politicus is right that few are likely to change sides now.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 30, 2013, 11:06:49 pm »
Ignore

Uh, you do realize that most Muslims have an unfavorable opinion of Israel, right?
Yes and my point stands.  If you don't have a team to root for in this conflict and Israel blowing sh**t up causes you to pull for Assad, then yes, you're a bigot.

King Jellybean
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 04, 2013, 01:47:39 pm »
Ignore

and what would happen then?  Do you think that Israel would invade Syria?

13 Then people brought little children to him, for him to lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples scolded them,

14 but Jesus said, 'Let the little children alone, and do not stop them from coming to me; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of Heaven belongs.'

15 Then he laid his hands on them and went on his way.
ingemann
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 04, 2013, 02:13:29 pm »
Ignore

and what would happen then?  Do you think that Israel would invade Syria?

Unless the entire Israeli government have been replaced with complete morons, it won't happen. First the Israel army have in the last 4 decades only worked as a occupation force.
Also the Israeli military have build for fast knock out, not long term military action, so the best they can hope for is weakening the government, rather than taking them out.
Even in Lebanon it worked more like a traditional occupation force. Israels other problem is that everybody hate them in Syria, the rebels moreso than the government.
Blue3
Starwatcher
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 04, 2013, 02:47:53 pm »
Ignore

North Korean military officers are now on the ground in Syria, helping Assad

I think we can now say everyone is involved there.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 36 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout