Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2017, 05:18:57 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash, Fernie Color of Melon)
| | |-+  Civil War in Syria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 36 Print
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 132831 times)
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: January 23, 2014, 07:17:42 pm »
Ignore

The West would have had to act far more decisively that it was ever likely to act for a desirable outcome in Syria to emerge.  The window of opportunity is gone.

Quote from: Ignatius of Antioch
He that possesses the word of Jesus, is truly able to bear his very silence. Epistle to the Ephesians 3:21a
The one thing everyone can agree on is that the media is biased against them.
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 23, 2014, 07:28:27 pm »
Ignore

The West would have had to act far more decisively that it was ever likely to act for a desirable outcome in Syria to emerge.  The window of opportunity is gone.

It's been gone for years now. 

Snowstalker's Last Stand
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Greece

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 23, 2014, 08:18:00 pm »
Ignore

It's been gone for years now. 

It was never there.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 23, 2014, 11:02:44 pm »
Ignore

The government has basically won on the ground thanks to rebel infighting and the West pulling military aid.

The government still seems to be light years away from being able to retake the rebel-held territory in the north and east.  Seems like the country's been divided, and locked in a stalemate for some time now, and that could continue for years to come.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

What is your opinion of this thread?

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Snowstalker's Last Stand
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Greece

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 23, 2014, 11:20:03 pm »
Ignore

The government has basically won on the ground thanks to rebel infighting and the West pulling military aid.

The government still seems to be light years away from being able to retake the rebel-held territory in the north and east.  Seems like the country's been divided, and locked in a stalemate for some time now, and that could continue for years to come.

True, but said rebel territory is mostly just sparsely-populated desert.

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 02, 2014, 09:42:47 am »
Ignore

cnn.com has a story about barrel bombs on their main page right now. Where is their coverage of the extremists on the other side looping people's heads off and committing massacres? There seems to be zero sense of balanced, actual reporting.
Snowstalker's Last Stand
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Greece

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 02, 2014, 09:44:50 am »
Ignore

cnn.com has a story about barrel bombs on their main page right now. Where is their coverage of the extremists on the other side looping people's heads off and committing massacres? There seems to be zero sense of balanced, actual reporting.

News media stands to gain from a war with Syria, so of course they want to drum up support for "humanitarian intervention".

ingemann
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 02, 2014, 03:33:58 pm »
Ignore

The government still seems to be light years away from being able to retake the rebel-held territory in the north and east.  Seems like the country's been divided, and locked in a stalemate for some time now, and that could continue for years to come.

True, but said rebel territory is mostly just sparsely-populated desert.

It's more complex than that, the great central arid region are under government control, the rebels control in the north and east are the rich but relative thinly populated farm land along the Euphrates River.
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 16, 2014, 01:19:17 pm »
Ignore

Seems the writing is on the wall for the rebels:

On third anniversary of Syrian rebellion, Assad is steadily winning the war

By Liz Sly, Published: March 14

BEIRUT Three years into the revolt against his rule, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is in a stronger position than ever before to quell the rebellion against his rule by Syrians who rose up to challenge his hold on power, first with peaceful protests and later with arms.

Aided by the steadfast support of his allies and the deepening disarray of his foes, Assad is pressing ahead with plans to be reelected to a third seven-year term this summer while sustaining intense military pressure intended to crush his opponents.

The strategy is not new, but in recent months it has started to yield tangible progress in the form of slow but steady gains on several key fronts on the battlefield that call into question long-held perceptions of a stalemate.

Most notably, the government has pushed the rebels back or squeezed them into isolated pockets in large swathes of the territory surrounding Damascus, diminishing prospects that the opposition will soon be in a position to seriously threaten the capital or topple the regime.

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 19, 2014, 10:43:51 am »
Ignore

According to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, 75% of Syria's stockpile has been destroyed.

Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 28, 2014, 04:40:25 am »
Ignore

Assad seeking reelection on June 3.

Snowstalker's Last Stand
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Greece

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 08, 2014, 06:12:05 am »
Ignore

ISIS literally crucifying people.

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 14, 2014, 06:43:56 pm »
Ignore

Al-Nusra Front declares emirate in Aleppo.

bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 24, 2014, 02:50:18 pm »
Ignore

This thread has fallen all the way to page 3. It's essentially all the same conflict but this still seems most appropriate in this thread for now-

ISIS takes Assad's last base in Raqqa: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28918792

The Division 17 base was taken in July.

In other news, non-ISIS rebels fearing fall of Aleppo (to Assad) is coming soon: http://online.wsj.com/articles/syrian-forces-advance-on-aleppo-rebels-fear-another-siege-1407860811

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 25, 2014, 12:46:52 pm »
Ignore

Syrian Christians beg the US to stop supporting rebels.

○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: August 26, 2014, 04:18:52 am »
Ignore

But Hillary said we weren't and should be helping the Christian killing rebels.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: August 26, 2014, 04:23:16 pm »
Ignore

Why did you post a link to a seven month-old story?

He that possesses the word of Jesus, is truly able to bear his very silence. Epistle to the Ephesians 3:21a
National Progressive
General Mung Beans
YaBB God
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 27, 2014, 02:03:43 am »
Ignore

The first American citizen killed fighting for ISIL: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/27/world/middleeast/american-fighting-for-isis-is-killed-in-syria.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSumSmallMedia&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

WASHINGTON Like many teenage boys who grew up in the Midwest in the 1990s, Douglas McAuthur McCain was a fan of Michael Jordans Chicago Bulls and loved to play basketball.

But as he grew older, he lost interest in basketball as he shuttled between two suburban Minneapolis high schools. He never graduated, and in his late teens, he began to have run-ins with the law. In the decade that followed, he was arrested or cited nine times on charges including theft, marijuana possession and driving without a license.

Mr. McCain moved back and forth from Minneapolis to San Diego and then abroad. Officials now know he ended up in Syria, where three days ago, Mr. McCain became the first American to die while fighting for the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria. He was 33.

The rebels who killed him were fighting for the Free Syrian Army, a rival group backed by the United States, and they went on to behead six ISIS fighters but not Mr. McCain and then posted the photographs on Facebook.

Is it just me or did anyone else laugh at the guy's name?

BaconBacon96
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 27, 2014, 03:04:17 am »
Ignore

The irony of that name.

On Chris Christie-
He can eat his opponets and achieve a unified field.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 29, 2014, 09:34:52 am »
Ignore

Syrian rebels surround Filipino UN peacekeepers in Golan Heights
Syrian rebels surrounded dozens of defiant Filipino peacekeepers in the Golan Heights on Friday and demanded they give up their weapons, hours after taking 43 Fijian soldiers hostage, authorities said.

Seventy-five Filipino members of a United Nations peacekeeping force were defending two posts on the Syrian side of Golan Heights, and were prepared to fight back rather than surrender, their commander in Manila said.

"We can use deadly force in defence of the UN facilities," Colonel Roberto Ancan told reporters.

"I [would] just like to emphasise our troops are well-armed, they are well-trained they are well-disciplined warrior peacekeepers."

<snip>
I read elsewhere that the local UN suit told them to raise a white flag and the commander said he didn't have one.  Good luck to them.

edit-it's also apparently a veteran squad of dudes with a lot of experience fighting these exact kind of assholes.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 01, 2014, 12:27:19 pm »
Ignore

After a 7 hr firefight, the Filipino peacekeepers walked 2 miles to safety.  The Fiji soldiers are still hostages.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
Indy Texas
independentTX
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 01, 2014, 05:28:22 pm »
Ignore

We need to call a truce with Assad and focus on ISIS for the time being. If we could work with the Soviet Union to defeat fascism in Europe, we can work with Assad's Syria to defeat Islamism in the Middle East.

Assad is a threat to the Syrian people. ISIS is a threat to all people. We have to pick the least worst option.

Member of the proud Silent Majority of voters who did not vote for Donald Trump.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: September 01, 2014, 06:39:37 pm »
Ignore

We need to call a truce with Assad and focus on ISIS for the time being. If we could work with the Soviet Union to defeat fascism in Europe, we can work with Assad's Syria to defeat Islamism in the Middle East.

Assad is a threat to the Syrian people. ISIS is a threat to all people. We have to pick the least worst option.

For decades we've tried working with dictators to defeat Islamism.  It hasn't worked very well, just as it didn't work all that well in containing the previous menace, Communism.  However since we haven't been attacking Assad with anything other than words, I fail to see the need to call a truce.  What we need is to step up our support for the Kurds, FSA, and perhaps the Jordanians.  While Israel won't like it, nor do I think it is in the offing anytime soon, I think the Sykes-Picot/Mandatory borders drawn up after World War I may need to be discarded and new borders effectively drawn up with independent Alawite and Kurdish states and a greater Syria, hopefully a greater that originates as a greater Jordan that is a constitutional Hashemite monarchy.  The reason I say that the Israeli's wouldn't like it is that is in their own interest that a greater Syria not be established as a singular state, no matter what government it has.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 01, 2014, 08:25:57 pm »
Ignore

In the absense of evidence that ISIS has concrete plans to launch terrorist attacks in the West, I fail to see how ISIS in Syria is enough of a threat to merit bombing them, just so that Assad can retake territory from them.  ISIS in Syria is bad for Syria.  Assad in Syria is bad for Syria.  Why should we bomb one of them to help the other?  Especially since bombing ISIS in Syria and thus helping Assad risks unraveling the US's existing alliances with Sunni governments in the region.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

What is your opinion of this thread?

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 03, 2014, 09:09:35 am »
Ignore

In the absence of evidence that ISIS has concrete plans to launch terrorist attacks in the West, I fail to see how ISIS in Syria is enough of a threat to merit bombing them, just so that Assad can retake territory from them.  ISIS in Syria is bad for Syria.  Assad in Syria is bad for Syria.  Why should we bomb one of them to help the other?  Especially since bombing ISIS in Syria and thus helping Assad risks unraveling the US's existing alliances with Sunni governments in the region.

Allowing one part to win the civil war would create, ya now, peace. Which would be an advantage to most of the Syrian people - provided it isn't the crazies in ISIS that wins. An Assad win would surely entail massive revenge on the rebels, but it would still cost fewer lives than continued warfare.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 36 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout