Civil War in Syria
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:33:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Civil War in Syria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 48
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 206268 times)
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: October 18, 2017, 10:14:52 AM »

Al-Nusra controlled Idlib province. Some times ago there were rumours that according to Astana agreement Turkey would attack Nusra positions and give these territories to moderate rebels, but at the end Turkish forces colluded with islamists against Kurds in Afrin canton.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #876 on: October 21, 2017, 08:21:38 AM »

I've heard that the Al-Nusra Front (or something like that) is making a comeback in the West.

Al Nusra or whatever they call themselves this week (Tahrir al-Sham) have always been strong in Idlib, the reason it haven't end the other rebel in the region, was because they served as a "moderate" "alternative" for the Gulf Countries and Turkey to fund. But with the losses elsewhere, the fall in foreign funding and the influx of rebels from enclaves which Assad allow them to leave, Al Nusra have lost the reason not to end the other rebel groups, which in general are deeply incompetent and those fighters are barely qualified to be cannon fodder.

What do ths mean in a greater context? They're losing and they're losing badly, I would be surprised if the rebel survives to 2019.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #877 on: October 22, 2017, 02:06:38 PM »

Al-Nusra is good enough, as they weaken Assad to where he can’t crush the Syrian National Council or the Syrian Democratic Council, the two good rebel groups. Ideally, Assad will waste enough forces on them for George Sabra, Suheir Atassi, Moaz al-Khatib, and Abdulbaset Sieda. Ideally, the SNC, SDC, and Rojava would sign an alliance against Assad and ISIS.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #878 on: October 22, 2017, 05:23:59 PM »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41714754

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Given what Moscow did to Aleppo, they don't have the right to criticize us about carpet-bombing anyone, at this time.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #879 on: October 25, 2017, 07:52:24 AM »

Al-Nusra is good enough, as they weaken Assad to where he can’t crush the Syrian National Council or the Syrian Democratic Council, the two good rebel groups. Ideally, Assad will waste enough forces on them for George Sabra, Suheir Atassi, Moaz al-Khatib, and Abdulbaset Sieda. Ideally, the SNC, SDC, and Rojava would sign an alliance against Assad and ISIS.

Here is a rough map of the situation in Syria/Iraq right now:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/Syrian%2C_Iraqi%2C_and_Lebanese_insurgencies.png

Can we please drop this fantasy notion of the Syrian Rebels somehow defeating the Assad regime? Especially considering they have Russian support it just Isn't. Gonna. Happen.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #880 on: October 26, 2017, 09:19:17 PM »

https://in.reuters.com/article/mideast-crisis-syria-tillerson/no-role-for-assad-in-syrias-future-u-s-s-tillerson-idINKBN1CV2HQ

Is Tillerson talking sense here, or is there a future without Assad in Syria's future?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #881 on: October 26, 2017, 09:22:48 PM »

I think the Ba'athist regime will stay, but it would be for the best if the Assad figurehead is allowed to shuffle on. You can't really lead a country when a significant portion of the population think you are literally Hitler.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #882 on: October 26, 2017, 10:35:17 PM »

I think the Ba'athist regime will stay, but it would be for the best if the Assad figurehead is allowed to shuffle on. You can't really lead a country when a significant portion of the population think you are literally Hitler.

Why can't you lead a country? Hitler literally managed to do it until the day he died.  If Assad actually were a figurehead, he'd have been eased from power back in the days before the Russians  went all in and it looked like the best the regime could hope for was a stalemate.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #883 on: November 03, 2017, 01:08:47 PM »

Deir ez Zour (Syria) and Al Qaim (Iraq) were liberated from ISIS today. The SAA have launched an offensive towards the border crossing at Al Qaim as the SDF continue cleaning up IS pockets Northeast of Deir ez Zour.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #884 on: November 04, 2017, 06:35:37 AM »

Deir ez Zour (Syria) and Al Qaim (Iraq) were liberated from ISIS today. The SAA have launched an offensive towards the border crossing at Al Qaim as the SDF continue cleaning up IS pockets Northeast of Deir ez Zour.

Looks like IS is done in Iraq.

The only IS area left there is uninhabitated desert north of Al Qaim.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #885 on: November 05, 2017, 10:00:41 PM »

Why can't you lead a country? Hitler literally managed to do it until the day he died.  If Assad actually were a figurehead, he'd have been eased from power back in the days before the Russians  went all in and it looked like the best the regime could hope for was a stalemate.

If Assad is not overthrown, all of his current political opponents will die. Not even the Russians support that. If we could arrange a deal agreeing to back them against China in Africa, I could totally see them agreeing to withdraw support for Assad. Without them, Iraq's government might agree to assist in defeating Assad, and Israel definitely would.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #886 on: November 05, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »

Winning!!!

(Not saying this in a Trump-related way. Just happy that the forces of good are further weakening ISIS)

Well, the forces of 'not nearly as bad as ISIS' anyway.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #887 on: November 05, 2017, 11:50:54 PM »

If Assad is not overthrown, all of his current political opponents will die. Not even the Russians support that. If we could arrange a deal agreeing to back them against China in Africa, I could totally see them agreeing to withdraw support for Assad. Without them, Iraq's government might agree to assist in defeating Assad, and Israel definitely would.

Why would Israel want to get rid of Assad?  He's a known quantity and Israel hasn't exactly been in the habit of late of taking risks in the hopes that something better will happen when it very well could be worse.

Iraq's government also isn't about to take active measures against Iran's ally.

As for Russia, why wouldn't Putin support Assad getting rid of opponents?  Putin certainly doesn't mind when his own opponents get killed.  Plus I fail to see either why it would be to our advantage to support Russia over China in Africa or why Putin would believe that we'd actually follow through on such a backing.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #888 on: November 06, 2017, 10:36:34 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2017, 11:14:35 PM by MB »

I'd reluctantly rather have Assad than an islamist government. But I think it would be better for Syria and for the world if he steps down and allows an election to take place, once the war is over. I think the only solution is a confederated Syria.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #889 on: November 07, 2017, 09:16:45 AM »

Election would solve the problem? In Syria? Where there were not fair elections in 50 years?

I think solution can be autonomy for kurdish regions and for de-escalation (opposition) territories and maybe if government give quarter of parliamentary seats to opposition and quarter to Kurds. But there are two major problems - kurds controll too much territory, half of their territory now is with Arab majority. And second - Idlib province and an-Nusra
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #890 on: November 12, 2017, 12:04:05 PM »

It's more complex, Assad have real power, but it's very much limited by other actors in the Regime. What we need to understand about the Assad family is that they're a compromise candidate. The Assad represents the air force, which are dominate by the Sunni middle class, these knew that the Alawite and pretty much every other minority group would start fight to the last man to avoid a Sunni leader of Syria, so when the air force couped Salah Jadid in 1970, they used Hafez Assad to show, they didn't want to establish a Sunni dominated state, and this was accepted.

So the Assad family are important, and Bashar Assad is pretty much the only possible choice in that family, because the rest of the family are either in exile (his uncles and cousins), a mad dog (his brother), stupid thugs (the extended family) or underage. So in case Assad suddenly died, they had to find another compromise candidate (Suheil al-Hassan would be the most likely candidate, when we look at the Regime from outside, which is likely the reason he seems to avoid politics with all his might).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #891 on: November 12, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »

I think a Confederation and potential independence are the only possible solutions. If Rojava, the Syrian National Council, and the Turks can agree to a map, I think it’s possible that we see an eastern confederation of Syria.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #892 on: November 13, 2017, 01:34:14 AM »

Rojava is the biggest enemy of the Turks in Syria. They'd prefer Assad ruling rather than Kurdish autonomy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #893 on: November 13, 2017, 01:39:46 AM »

I'd reluctantly rather have Assad than an islamist government. But I think it would be better for Syria and for the world if he steps down and allows an election to take place, once the war is over. I think the only solution is a confederated Syria.

Ideally Assad steps down and they have free democratic elections as a multi-party democracy. But realistically, Assad is the best option.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #894 on: January 11, 2018, 03:42:49 AM »

The Assad forces have made HUGE gains in recent weeks in the rebel-held countryside between Aleppo and Hama:

Link 1

Link 2

The destruction of the rebels is imminent this year ...
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #895 on: January 20, 2018, 12:47:47 PM »

http://www.dw.com/en/turkish-jets-bomb-syrias-kurdish-held-afrin/a-42234813

Turkey and proxy rebels have started an operation against SDF in Afrin canton. This is the smallest of Kurdish cantons, with no borders with others SDF-held territories.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #896 on: February 07, 2018, 05:59:40 PM »

US hits pro-Assad forces in response to their attack on SDF:

https://twitter.com/VeraMBergen/status/961370851265400833

kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #897 on: February 10, 2018, 04:34:05 AM »

Syrian AA missiles shot down IAF F-16i during IAF raid in Syria. Plane crashed in Israel. Situation escalates quickly
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #898 on: February 10, 2018, 05:03:15 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2018, 09:17:23 AM by Parrotguy »

Syrian AA missiles shot down IAF F-16i during IAF raid in Syria. Plane crashed in Israel. Situation escalates quickly

It basically stopped escalating now. If I had to guess, we're most likely heading to a halt, since no side wants a war.
Also, the full story is that an Iranian unmanned aircraft entered Israeli territory and was shot down, prompting Israel to respond by bombing Iranian military presence in Syria. The Syrians started shooting AA missiles at the Israeli aircrafts (which also triggered our missile alarm systems and sent us to shelters, despite no missiles being shot at civilian populations yet), and one Israeli plane was abandoned by the pilots (one of whom was lightly injured, the other seriously injured) because of the AAs- perhaps physically shot down, perhaps something close to it. Israel responded by bombing in Syria, but it appears like it's not going to a full-on conflict right now.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #899 on: February 10, 2018, 08:34:08 AM »

Thank Og the F16 crashed in Israel and not among the bastards.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies