Civil War in Syria (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:33:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Civil War in Syria (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 207889 times)
BundouYMB

« on: April 04, 2016, 03:49:14 PM »

The relatively small but strategically important town of Al-Qaryatayn has been liberated: https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/breaking-syrian-army-liberates-quraytayn/

Sets the stage for the Syrian Army's huge coming push towards Deir ez-Zor.
BundouYMB

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:35:15 PM »

Well, SAA and Aleppo citizens now are celebrating complete liberation subjugation of the city.

FTFY
BundouYMB

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 05:29:46 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2016, 05:32:28 PM by BundouYMB »

"try harder" at what? The SAA used chemical weapons in residential areas in Aleppo. They've bombed the city indiscriminately over the last few years. They've been starving out residents during this farcical "siege" of the city. Have you been watching too much RT lately? Do you really think people are in the streets celebrating this? I never took you for being that stupid.
BundouYMB

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 06:06:20 PM »

The Turks could have intervened back in '14 or even '15, taken out Assad, and set up a friendly government. Now they have Russian armed forces to their north and south, and a US president less friendly to NATO than the other side. No wonder Erdogan wants to make nice.

Yes, they could have, but as has been said before but the Turks only decided to intervene when the Kurds started making a little too much progress. I ing hate Erdogan.
BundouYMB

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 07:27:30 PM »

Frankly, my main concern in this whole conflict is religious minorities. I do not want religious minorities to be wiped out or slaughtered. I had hoped that overthrowing Assad early on would have given a better government to all of Syria and preserved the rights of religious minorities, but then many of the rebel forces radicalized, then ISIS happened and started slaughtering everyone who wasn't part of their specific apocalyptic creed of Wahhabism, so.... I guess I'm in favor of Assad? I might be in favor of Assad and his surviving brothers being arrested as some sort of palace coup, and possibly installing someone less vicious in charge, but that looks very unlikely as a possibility.

If Assad somehow "won" (which is impossible, assuming winning means regaining complete control of Syria, because the Syrian army at the very least lacks the capability to ever regain the territory controlled by the Kurds) there would 100% be a genocide of Sunnis... and the very process of Assad "winning" would be unbelievably bloody in the first place given the SAA's tactics so far (which largely consists of bombing things to rubble from a distance and hoping the enemy dies with the civilians, since the SAA is so unbelievably corrupt and incompetent they can basically never win a ground war even when they vastly outnumber their opponent and have vastly superior weaponry.)

The least bad faction is clearly the Kurds, but the Kurds also completely lack the capacity to come anywhere close to "winning" and don't even desire to gain anymore territory (their only gains outside of the territory they consider part of Kurdistan have been at the behest of their American backers, and they have a). limited capability to gain anymore b). no desire to gain anymore and c). with Trump's election America likely won't even be pressuring them to gain anymore.)

Nothing good will come out of this chaos. There is no major faction to "support" or "root for." Every major player in Syria is rotten now.
BundouYMB

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 08:54:08 PM »

Syria and Russia are lowering the boom on ISIS and with Aleppo pretty much controlled by Syria and Russia I think the tide has definitely turned.

ISIS was never in Aleppo. There were miscellaneous, disorganized rebel groupings controlling various districts of the city.

And speaking of ISIS, they just reclaimed a major city from the Syrian government (Palmyra.) The Syrian government attributed the loss to "carelessness during tactical reconnaissance" and "failure to notice the enemy was fortifying the area" meaning the commanders had no actual idea of the state of the situation in the area surrounding the city. This is what I mean when I say the SAA is completely corrupt and incompetent above all else.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies