Civil War in Syria (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Civil War in Syria (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 207570 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« on: November 29, 2012, 02:44:11 PM »

Syria has completely disconnected from the internet. Things are about to get much, much worse.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:04:56 PM »

How about dropping "bombs" that are just spray neutralizing agents into the air?

When you have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

How is releasing an antidote anything other than excellent solution to the problem of somebody using chemical weapons on folks?

As London Man pointed out, that might be feasible in a Hollywood blockbuster, but not in real life.

Well, obviously I mean if and when possible. SPC may, I suppose (and hope), have been criticizing whatever thought process led BRTD to think that particular process is feasible, but it's SPC. He may very well have a grave moral opposition to administering antidotes to citizens of other countries in violation of those countries' self-determination for all I know.

Obviously giving Syrians antidotes creates perverse market distortions. Better to force them to find and purchase their own antidotes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »

Our betrayal and treatment of the Shah was the greatest moral and geopolitical travesty of the past fifty years.

This might be the most ridiculous thing anyone's ever said on this forum.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »

Simfan's new post may be even worse. I don't know what kind of twisted perspective of reality results in thinking that the Shah was some progressive hero who brought economic growth and equality to the country and saved it from the dictator Mosaddegh, but the fact that he actually believes in this nonsense is more disgusting than a one sentence posting of hyperbole.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 08:00:52 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2012, 08:05:11 PM by Lief »

I actually wrote a paper in undergrad for one of my classes looking at American media portrayals of the Iranian revolution, and Simfan's perspective of the Shah and the revolutionaries is almost verbatim what the Wall Street Journal was printing in the winter of 79-80. The Shah was always portrayed sympathetically: he and his people were serious modernizers who knew how to run an economy; the revolutionaries were all hot-headed Muslim savages, whipped up into a riotous frenzy, who would destroy the Iranian economy. Never mind the fact that the revolution was supported by all strata of society, secular and religious, working and middle class, and never mind that the Shah was a murderous, nasty dictator, who created a society of stark inequality and corruption, robbing Iran of its oil wealth to fund his opulent palaces and have meals flown in from Paris.

I'd rather be free and poor than wealthy yet under the boot of a SAVAK agent.

If you lived in Iran in the late 1970s you'd probably be under the boot of a SAVAK agent and poor. I don't know where Simfan gets this nonsense that Iran was some prosperous place free of economic inequality.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 07:23:33 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/12/us-syria-crisis-idUSBRE96B08A20130712

FSA (moderate rebels) declare war on Islamist rebels.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies