Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 20, 2018, 01:38:24 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Gustaf, afleitch, Hash)
| | |-+  Civil War in Syria (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 142040 times)
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:44:28 pm »

Why is everyone so lackadaisical about Syria as opposed to Libya for which we have at least 90 pages dedicated to it with almost constant updates?  Is it really that boring a topic?  Or is it because the United States isn't directly engaged (at least, not yet) with fighter jets assisting the Free Syrian Army?
The last part is probably right, when the jets start blowing up Syrian tanks, then the bits will start flying.

Tyra Hemans, 19, a senior, told CNN she supports parts of the new policy, such as the ID requirement. But she believes other security measures, such as forcing students to carry clear backpacks, don't adequately address the real problem with school safety, which she says is lax gun laws.
"I'm not happy with it. Why are you punishing me for one person's actions?" she said.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 11:27:00 pm »

But they are a giant pain in the ass.

Tyra Hemans, 19, a senior, told CNN she supports parts of the new policy, such as the ID requirement. But she believes other security measures, such as forcing students to carry clear backpacks, don't adequately address the real problem with school safety, which she says is lax gun laws.
"I'm not happy with it. Why are you punishing me for one person's actions?" she said.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 01:02:13 am »

Other than sell him tanks and tear gas.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 07:58:48 am »

I had read on another message board that Assad was moving every spare tank, chopper, rifle and round to the west coast in the hopes of maintaining an Alawite state after Syria as a unit collapses.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 11:34:19 pm »

I really don't see how the "end of the Bashar Al Assad Regime" is "in sight" right now.

It appears that Assad regime will slaughter few more thousands and regain control. There will be a loud outrage abroad, some time of isolation, and then, in few years, we'll see total normalization in foreign relations.

So typical story, isn't it?
Indeed.  Some people aren't worth saving it seems.  Yeah, yeah, an attack might kill thousands (mostly bastards loyal to Assad) and would be horrible....as if leaving him in power is somehow less horrible.  But the pansies can feel safe in knowing they stopped another dreaded invasion of a foreign land by the warmongering West. Roll Eyes

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 11:51:18 pm »

Erdogan may invoke NATO's Article 5
In a statement that may be interpreted as the harshest response yet to the escalating 13-month-old Syrian crisis, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan for the first time on Wednesday raised the possibility of calling on the NATO military alliance to protect Turkey's border against incursions by Syrian forces.

Speaking to reporters travelling with him during his official visit to China, Erdoğan said Turkey may consider invoking NATO's fifth article to protect Turkish national security in the face of increasing tension along the Syrian border. His comments came after four Syrians who fled to Turkey from the violence in Syria were killed by Syrian forces targeting refugees on the Turkish side of the border on Monday.

“NATO has a responsibility to protect Turkish borders,” said Erdoğan, signaling that Turkey may officially ask NATO members to apply Article 5 of the NATO Charter, which says that an attack on any member shall be considered to be an attack on all, if the situation in Syria becomes a serious enough threat to Turkish national security.

<snip>
If we're gonna do something, the sooner the better.  If we're going to sit around with our thumbs up our collective butts we should probably start coming up with some good excuses to tell our grandkids why we let this play itself out.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 06:43:28 am »

Good....'bout freaking time.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 12:53:43 am »

Syrian pilot defects after landing in Jordan
 link
A Syrian fighter pilot has landed his MiG-21 at an airfield in northern Jordan and defected, according to authorities in the kingdom.

An official said the pilot landed his Russian-made aircraft at the King Hussein Air Base in Mafraq, a north Jordanian town near the Syrian border.

A spokesman for the rebel Free Syrian Army, Ahmad Kassem, said the plane had defected to Jordan and that its pilot was seeking political asylum.

He also said his group had encouraged the pilot to defect.

Syrian authorities had earlier announced on state TV that they had lost contact with a MiG-21 which was on a training mission.

The report said: "The plane, flown by Colonel Hassan Merei al Hamade, was near the southern border of Syria when contact was lost at around 10.34 am (0834 UK time)."

<snip>
Lets hope (or pray if you're into that kind of thing) he has no family or that they are already out of the country.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 11:43:59 pm »

Turkey sends military convoys toward Syrian border
Turkish troops and military vehicles deployed toward the border with Syria on Thursday as a precaution after Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan gave orders to react to any Syrian threat approaching the frontier.

Erdogan, who has given shelter in the border area to rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar Assad, announced the new rules of engagement for Turkish troops on the border after Syrian air defenses shot down a Turkish warplane last Friday.

<snip>

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 12:33:40 pm »

Syrian military at start of crisis numbered ~300,000 people.  Turkey is estimating that over the past year a full 30k of those have either defected or deserted.

Still leaves 270K plus any expansion Assad may have done.
From what I've read elsewhere, the vast majority are confined to barracks for fear they will go home or to the other side.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 08:21:18 pm »

In 1998, Syrian Defense Minister Mustafa Tlass boasted to al Bayan newspaper that he was the one who gave the green light to "the resistance" in Lebanon to attack and kill US marines and French soldiers, but that he prevented attacks on the Italian soldiers of the multi-national force "because he was in love with the Italian actress Gina Lollobrigida.

Mustafa Tlass had also allegedly boasted to the National Assembly about atrocities committed against Israelis who fell captive in the Yom Kippur war. "I gave the Medal of the Republic's Hero, to a soldier from Aleppo, who killed 28 Jewish soldiers. He did not use the military weapon to kill them but utilized the ax to decapitate them. He then devoured the neck of one of them and ate it in front of the people. I am proud of his courage and bravery, for he actually killed by himself 28 Jews by count and cash."

There are three missing Israeli soldiers in the Bekaa valley since the June 1982 war in Lebanon. Tlass allegedly told a Saudi magazine: "We sent Israel the bones of dogs, and Israel may protest as much as it likes."
Classy fellow!
One of his books, Matzah of Zion (1983), deals with 1840 Damascus Blood Libel. In the book, Tlass argues for the significance of the anti-Semitic blood libels, and claims that Jewish religion is one of ‘vicious deviations’ and black hatred against all humans and religions, so that no Arab country should ever sign a peace treaty with Israel.
You can really taste the irony here.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 08:41:04 am »

Great news!

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 02:55:31 am »

One of the rumors is that the defense minister and deputy were killed by someone on the inside (possibly one of their own security guards), because the thinking is that it would have taken someone on the inside to get that close to them.

I don't see how it could be otherwise.  It has inside job written all over it.

Question of the day: does Assad A. take his chances in Damascus, B. retreat to Lattakia and prepare to continue the fight on friendly ground, or C. take the next flight to Moscow and call it quits?
There is rumor that Assad has in fact fled to Lattakia and that the Army is redistributing their Scuds and topping them with mustard gas.  In slightly more concrete news, Jordan is deploying German owned (but US built and with our approval) Patriot missile defense systems to protect themselves....and (wait for it).....Israel from possible Syrian missile attacks.

cite

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 09:46:28 am »

Yeah, it seems that Syria as we knew it is done.  Good riddance.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 03:14:24 am »

And even more good news, Iran Quds Force Commander Killed in Damascus blast link
Reports in the Arab-language press indicate the head of Iran's covert foreign operations Quds force was killed in Wednesday's bombing in Damascus.

Al-Quds Force's long-elusive commander, Maj. Gen. Qassem Suleimani, is reported to have made several trips to Damascua to meet with Assad and his top commanders since January of this year.

Iran has made no bones about having bolstered Assad's embattled regime with members of its own elite Revolutionary Guard, but the death of Suleimani would be a direct blow to Tehran.

Suleimani, who masterminded al-Quds Force operations in Iraq and covert activities throughout the Persian Gulf and Lebanon, is a key figure in Iranian policymaking, particularly in security matters.

A combat veteran of Iran's 1980-88 war with Iraq, Suleimani took command of the al-Quds Force in the late 1990s and has become a powerful figure in the upper echelons of the Tehran regime.

<snip>

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 12:34:11 am »

yes people dying is always good news.  if more people died everything would be solved.
Yes, that's exactly what I said. Roll Eyes  Your idiocy is extra high tonight, there a reason?

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 12:39:05 am »

Israel may seize advanced weapons in Syria
Israel is preparing for a possible military intervention in Syria in case the Syrian government hands missiles or chemical weapons to Hezbollah in Lebanon, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said on Friday.

"I have instructed the military to increase its intelligence preparations and prepare what is needed so that ... (if necessary) ... we will be able to consider carrying out an operation," Barak said in an interview on Channel 10 television.

"We are following ... the possible transfer of advanced munitions systems, mainly anti-aircraft missiles or heavy ground-to-ground missiles, but there could also be a possibility of the transfer of chemical means (weapons) from Syria to Lebanon," he added.

"The moment (Syrian President Bashar al-Assad) starts to fall we will conduct intelligence monitoring and will liaise with other agencies," Barak said.

Hezbollah, which has in the past received military and financial support from Syria and Iran, launched thousands of mainly short-range rockets into Israel during Israel's 2006 offensive in southern Lebanon, but some longer-range rockets reached central Israel.

<snip>

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 12:56:09 am »

Which is funny, because they've always claimed they didn't have them.  link
Syria has refuted US allegations that it is developing chemical weapons, saying such claims are designed to further the interests of Israel.
It follows condemnation of the US by fellow Arab countries, Russia and the European Union for making threats against Syria over the war in Iraq.

A statement released by the Syrian Government condemned US "threats and falsifications", saying that the "escalated language of threats and accusations by some American officials against Syria" was aimed at "damaging its steadfastness".

"The cabinet rejected these accusations and allegations and saw them as a response to Israeli stimulus and a service to its [Israel's] goals and expansive greed," the statement added.

<snip>
Of course the rest of the world put their fingers in their ears and said "nah nah nah, I can't hear you, nah nah nah".
However, both Spain and the UK, crucial US allies in the war in Iraq, have refused to back the US' claims.

UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, on a visit to Central Command in Qatar, refused to back Washington's line, saying Syria was run by "intelligent people who have the future interest and welfare of their country at heart".

Spain - another key US ally in the Iraq war - said Syria was a friend of Spain and ruled out military action against Damascus.

The US has also faced disapproval over its stance from France, the European Union and Russia.

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan has expressed concern that recent statements about Syria may further destabilise the Middle East, while the Secretary General of the Arab League, Amr Musa, said he was astounded by the threats.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 01:35:05 am »

What do you mean?  That they don't have Chem and Bio weapons? (they certainly do) or that they wouldn't use them in this situation?...but then why have them?

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 02:04:40 am »

What do you mean?  That they don't have Chem and Bio weapons? (they certainly do) or that they wouldn't use them in this situation?...but then why have them?

Has this been confirmed by international inspectors, or do they have them in the same sense that Saddam Hussein "had" them? (in a desperate bluff to thwart another Iranian invasion)
I suppose it's possible, I seriously doubt it though.  Of course neither of us have any skin in the game.  Those that do should take the threat seriously though....no?  I'm guessing you wouldn't care if some of it fell into the hands of the Hezzys, but I'm sure those living in Tel Aviv and Beirut do though.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 11:48:57 am »

Have any mainstream news outlets picked this story up?  Because I have looked at the Washington Post and New York Times, and neither is carrying it.  Nor is Reuters.  Must be a non-conspiratorial reason why they haven't.  Perhaps the respectable publications doubt this story's veracity as I do. 

No, because mainstream media is a bunch of pigdog imperialists.  The only reliable sources are RT and Syrian state television.
Yeah, about that.
At about 6 p.m., we heard a tank on the street and men on a car who were chanting: 'Shabiha forever! With our blood and our souls, we sacrifice ourselves for you, oh Bashar!' We had never heard that before.

We were in the house, with my father in the room facing the street and everyone else in the room facing the back. At about 11 p.m., we could hear voices through loudspeakers, saying: 'All lights out! Including candles!' I went to my father in the other room. He had just heard the men standing downstairs in front of the door, and saying that they would take the women first and then kill everyone. I asked him what we should do. He said: 'Go! I'll go outside and try to stall them.'

There were 15 of us. We couldn't take Ahmed with us, because he was too sick. But we were so afraid and in such a hurry that we forgot Sarah, my 8-year-old sister. She was sleeping. When I realized that, I went back to the house with my sister-in-law. We heard the men saying: 'We want the women!' My sister-in-law said: 'There's nothing we can do. They're going to die.' She pulled me back, and we fled."
It seems they (the media) were right the first time.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 10:48:28 am »

Iran’s Hizbullah sends more troops to help Assad storm Aleppo, fight Sunnis
The Iranian-sponsored Hizbullah has been sending fighters
to Syria to bolster the latest offensive by President Bashar Assad against
Sunni rebels.
Lebanese security sources said hundreds of Iranian-trained Hizbullah
fighters crossed into Syria to help the Assad regime quell the Sunni revolt.
The sources said the fighters come from elite Hizbullah units and were
deployed in central Syria.

“Assad desperately needs more people to sustain operations against the rebels, and Iran is helping out, mostly through Hizbullah,” a source said.
On July 27, the Lebanese daily An Nahar reported that Hizbullah sent
fighters from its Unit 910, deemed a combat force, to Syria. The newspaper said members of Unit 910 were fighting together with the Syrian Army in Homs, Qusair and Rastan.
Hizbullah is believed to have deployed up to 7,000 troops in Syria.

Meanwhile, Iran TV: 48 Iranians kidnapped in Syria
Iranian state TV says gunmen have kidnapped 48 Iranian pilgrims visiting a holy site revered by Shiites in a suburb of the Syrian capital, Damascus.

The pilgrims were in a tour bus heading to the Sayeda Zeinab mosque on Saturday when gunmen seized them, according to Al-Alam TV, Iran's state-run Arabic news channel. It cited an unidentified official at the Iranian Embassy in Damascus. Iran's English-language state TV station, Press TV, blamed "terrorists" for the abduction.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 11:03:41 pm »

Maybe, but I don't like to jump to the false flag conclusion without a bit of proof, even if it is a lying, sh**tty state that would totally do something like that.

..and there is already more than a few Iranians fighting there, and that's not counting the Hezzys.

On that subject, it's probably good in the long run for Lebanon that the most experienced fighters are leaving their home to go die in Syria.  Maybe when all the sh**t settles, all the Xtians will leave Syria, settle in Lebanon and bring their numbers back to their historical rates.

...of course that could likely lead to another civil war in that country, which wouldn't be good for anybody (except for those selling old military gear).

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2012, 11:22:22 pm »

Perhaps I didn't use my words very good there.  I'm certainly not advocating ethnic cleansing of anybody.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 05:34:45 am »

The FSA is now saying that the 48 Iranian "hostages" are actually Revolutionary Guards.  link
Al-Arabiya television aired footage on Sunday it said it had obtained from Syrian rebels of Iranians kidnapped in Damascus, in which the rebels charge the hostages are elite Revolutionary Guards.

Fighters of the Al Baraa Brigade of the rebel Free Syrian Army have  "captured 48 of the shabiha (militiamen) of Iran who were on a reconnaissance mission in Damascus," said a man dressed as an FSA officer in the video screened by the Dubai-based channel.

"During the investigation, we found that some of them were officers in the Revolutionary Guards," he said, showing documents taken from one of the men, who appeared in the background.

<snip>
In the same article, it mentions that Syria's first astronaut has left the regime, visited the rebels and then went to Turkey.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout