Civil War in Syria (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:36:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Civil War in Syria (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 206245 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: December 26, 2012, 07:20:50 PM »

Not to suggest I think that the "success" of Shah's economic policies justifies his disgusting regime, Simfan really needs to take this into consideration:

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 07:38:46 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2012, 07:41:05 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Not to suggest I think that the "success" of Shah's economic policies justifies his disgusting regime, Simfan really needs to take this into consideration:

I'm not afraid to admit that while slightly familiar with the Solow growth model, I'm not entirely sure how this pertains to my argument.

The rapid Iranian growth rates weren't miraculous by any means and mirrored those seen around the world. Increasing capital investments in technologies that would yield far higher rates of production leads to rapid gains in standards of living. This rule is uniform and suggests that the rapid worldwide growth that occurred between 1950 and 2000 is due to optimization of easily applicable/currently existing technologies.  Do you support Park Chung-Hee, the PRI and Brazil's military rule simply because they managed to sustain high levels of growth in their respective countries? Seeing as its you, I wouldn't be surprised but my general point is that as long that civil society was maintained, some degree of foreign investment was allowed and basic investments in modern infrastructure were made; rapid growth was inevitable in this era.  

The Solow growth model illustrates this concept of convergence. My basic point is that it isn't remarkable by any means that Iran sustained a high level of growth during the Shah's reign. Then again, you also think that Stiglitz and Krugman are "dangerous" so your understanding of economics must be pretty shallow.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 08:00:37 PM »

Of course, I've never heard this hypothesis but I'm disinclined to believe it. 1950-2000 was hardly a period of "rapid worldwide growth", one should ask the stagnant Latin American economies, disintegrating African ones, or peaking European ones, or India, or the USSR, it goes on. The only major stories of the period was the expected European recovery and the strong emergence of several Asian economies.

There's no need to belittle my knowledge of economics. Though I'm sure you knew it would be extra-offensive to an economics major. Roll Eyes

Of that list, BTW, the only one I'm willing to support is Park Chung-Hee. The rest were incompetents and autocrats.

I'm done with this discussion, your mindset is warped.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 11:02:56 PM »

Russia is bombing the FSA, not ISIS.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 12:12:10 AM »

The US will be really sad if they kill that one guy who wasn't a jihadist and wanted western style democracy.

No one is under the illusion that the FSA desires "western-style democracy" but the idea that the Syrian rebels are jihadis is inane garbage, peddled by fools who don't recognize the distinction between the political Islam of the Muslim Brotherhood and the political Islam of ISIS or the Al-Nusra Front.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies