Civil War in Syria (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:16:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Civil War in Syria (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 206222 times)
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« on: December 25, 2012, 10:26:24 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out why our country gets so high and mighty when other countries use chemical or biological weapons, then we turn around and generously use depleted uranium ammunition against whoever gets in our way.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 01:40:28 AM »

Hahaha. Good stuff.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 11:42:50 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2013, 11:44:24 PM by AkSaber »

Given Assad's deplorable record and the rebels' questionable backgrounds, neutrality should be our policy here.

True. Choosing a lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

And what sense does it make to force, at gunpoint, "democracy" on a nation who is not ready for it?
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 02:48:33 PM »

UN Security Council is getting reports that a nerve gas attack has killed over 1000 in Damascus suburbs.

That should be the trigger point then. There's gonna be too much pressure to act.

Not really.  As it done so on previous occasions, Russia is already saying this was a false flag operation by the rebels.  This certainly won't get the UN involved. Nor do I see the US eager to bear the costs of policing this mess.  Europe may want to, but does it have the capability?

Exactly what I thought happened. Since Assad is allowing UN chemical weapons inspectors into his country, it tells me he wants nothing to do with a chemical attack.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:10:39 AM »

Rebels located there maybe?
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 07:14:26 PM »

Of course Russia is saying that, Assad is their ally, they even supply him with weapons.

And we arm every other dictatorship in the Mideast (except Iran). If this were happening in Saudi Arabia we'd stick up for them.

Um, you can't get rid of the chemical traces of the attack with conventional explosives....?

True. Smiley
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 02:18:35 AM »

And if the US says something like this you would be the first to claim it invalid because of that, but somehow Russia gets a free pass from you.

I know I will not believe a word the interventionists say. The last 11 years have proven those people will exaggerate, lie, and manufacture evidence to support their accusations.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 02:27:13 AM »

And if the US says something like this you would be the first to claim it invalid because of that, but somehow Russia gets a free pass from you.

I know I will not believe a word the interventionists say. The last 11 years have proven those people will exaggerate, lie, and manufacture evidence to support their accusations.

I agree; manipulation and forgery of evidence has been done numerous times by Western nations to justify military intervention (see Vietnam, Kosovo, Iraq, etc.). That certainly doesn't mean you should trust what Moscow says.

Is it sad I trust Russia more than our country?

It kinda feels that way... O_o
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 02:33:28 AM »

And of course, the West (and Russia/the USSR and China, let's not leave anyone out) has yet to atone for all the atrocities it has committed against civilians since the end of World War II, so I'm a bit annoyed by Kerry's righteous tone here.

Yeah. When Syria allegedly uses chemical weapons it's the crime of the century.

But when our leaders let depleted uranium be used against completely innocent and defenseless targets... well they got in our way. Roll Eyes
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 07:00:10 PM »

Perhaps not, but getting rid of the Assad regime would further isolate the mullahs of Iran and leave terrorist groups like Hezbollah hanging in the wind and vulnerable to Lebanon (now freed of Syrian domination) and Israel.  I am sure both states would be more than happy to put Hezbollah in its place. 

That is my interest in the matter -geopolitical. 

Personally I am terrified of the prospect of a bosnia-type situation emerging. Supporting any one side would likely just lead to ethnic conflict on an even wider scale. Also I am not so sure that toppling the Syrian gov. would be as easy as Libya (and that obviously took a good amount of time).
------------------------

Well, we avoided intervening for about two years now, and your fears have become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Didn't you hear, nonintervention is the in thing. All problems are solved by doing nothing (so says people on the left and right) until you actually do nothing and the situation gets worse.

How can we possibly believe anything the interventionists say when their entire case against Iraq was a lie?

Besides, the interventionists are complete hypocrites. They want to intervene for humanitarian reasons, yet happily bomb weddings, funerals, and use depleted uranium against innocent people?
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 11:54:02 PM »

Perhaps not, but getting rid of the Assad regime would further isolate the mullahs of Iran and leave terrorist groups like Hezbollah hanging in the wind and vulnerable to Lebanon (now freed of Syrian domination) and Israel.  I am sure both states would be more than happy to put Hezbollah in its place. 

That is my interest in the matter -geopolitical. 

Personally I am terrified of the prospect of a bosnia-type situation emerging. Supporting any one side would likely just lead to ethnic conflict on an even wider scale. Also I am not so sure that toppling the Syrian gov. would be as easy as Libya (and that obviously took a good amount of time).
------------------------

Well, we avoided intervening for about two years now, and your fears have become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Didn't you hear, nonintervention is the in thing. All problems are solved by doing nothing (so says people on the left and right) until you actually do nothing and the situation gets worse.

How can we possibly believe anything the interventionists say when their entire case against Iraq was a lie?

Besides, the interventionists are complete hypocrites. They want to intervene for humanitarian reasons, yet happily bomb weddings, funerals, and use depleted uranium against innocent people?

Happily? If you think they're purposely bombing weddings and funerals I think there's something wrong with the way you see things.

Yeah, cause their cries of sorrow and regret are so deafening.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies