SENATE BILL: Living Wage Act (law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:57:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Living Wage Act (law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Living Wage Act (law'd)  (Read 4648 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: November 17, 2011, 12:07:33 AM »

It's discriminatory against younger workers.  I will not sign a bill that officially discriminates against certain age groups for no apparent reason.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 01:06:56 AM »

I remind you if the age is returned to 21, I will veto it.  A veto override will definitely chill relations between the presidency and the senate as you will have completely removed any reason for compromise by simply overriding my veto.

There is no good case to have the arbitrary age of 21 for a living wage to kick in.  What do you tell to 19 year olds with a kid or that just want to be financially independent?

WHy are we extending some aspects of adolescence into a person's early 20s (financial independence) while leaving other civic duties and responsibilities behind (like military service or voting)?

I have yet to see a good reason for this, other than that somehow companies will magically hire all sorts of 18-20 year olds because they can pay them less.  That's ridiculous.  All you will do is throw these people back out on the streets when they turn 21 and all the fresh college grads come in with their degrees to compete with the already working crowd.

I know in this day and age it seems almost impossible that there are 18-20 year olds out there raising families and working and struggling to be financially independent... but it is the case for a lot of Atlasians.

Unless there is a proposal to freely provide a university education to every student, thus extending fully the period of adolescence, or the age 18 level is maintained, I will veto this bill.

The 18 age level makes sense because at 18 you become an adult.  You are finishing high school and are expected to move out into the world, be that college or work.  I understand paying 14-17 year olds that work part time a lesser wage, since they can depend on their parents for basic support... but we are creating a donut hole here that many 18-20 year olds will fall through.

So, do what you will.  But if the bill arrives on my desk with an age over 18... I will veto it and I won't forget it either.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »

x Snowguy716

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies