Don't Ask, Don't Tell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:57:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Don't Ask, Don't Tell
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Don't Ask, Don't Tell  (Read 4333 times)
Link
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2011, 11:17:27 PM »

Yep, better be careful of jmfcst.  Very careful.  When he says “early 90’s”, he means more than a decade ago.  Tricky he is.

About a decade ago the mall was demolished.  When you were looking for the Alfred Dunhill and Tiffany's it hadn't been demolished yet.  It was a dying mall as I clearly stated...

So you couldn't find a bookstore in a dying mall... fascinating.  I love how you tried to turn that little nugget into a slur against two entire races of people.

Malls don't just go from bustling centers of urbane cosmopolitain chic to demolished overnight.  They go through a slow state of decay called the "dead mall" phase.  You apparently went looking for books in a "dead mall" and were surprised there weren't any.  After which you chalked it up to various "darkies" and have been telling your tale ever since.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2011, 11:21:22 PM »

Malls don't just go from bustling centers of urbane cosmopolitain chic to demolished overnight.  They go through a slow state of decay called the "dead mall" phase.  You apparently went looking for books in a "dead mall" and were surprised there weren't any.  After which you chalked it up to various "darkies" and have been telling your tale ever since.

I am well aware of the fact the neighborhood had been experiencing white flight for over a decade (which is why my neighborhood was >95% black), even though the population was increasing.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2011, 11:28:09 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2011, 11:30:00 PM by jmfcst »

Don't let the non-partisan election thing fool you - the competitive mayoral races in Houston almost always end up between a Republican (usually a moderate one) and a Democrat

no, no, no.  You have to listen to Link here Sam.  No one knew Whitmire was a Dem when she defeated Republican McConn in '81, Houstonians were completely in the dark.

and even though both you and I grew up on Houston's east end, and even though you and I have probably been to Gulfgate Mall over a hundred times...Link knows the area and the mall better than we do.
Link
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2011, 11:45:25 PM »

Don't let the non-partisan election thing fool you - the competitive mayoral races in Houston almost always end up between a Republican (usually a moderate one) and a Democrat

no, no, no.  You have to listen to Link here Sam.  No one knew Whitmire was a Dem when she defeated Republican McConn in '81, Houstonians were completely in the dark.

and even though both you and I grew up on Houston's east end, and even though you and I have probably been to Gulfgate Mall over a hundred times...Link knows the area and the mall better than we do.

I didn't notice Sam saying anything about Gulfgate Mall.  You're on your own there buddy.

jmfcst, I was being charitable when I accused you of not being from Houston.  I just assumed that if you were as old as you claim you are and a political expert you would at least know how voter registration works in your state.

...but if you would like to wager $100 that registered Democrats outnumber Republicans by at least 2:1 in the City of Houston, then I'm sure we could find a neutral member of this forum to help transfer $100 from your pocket to my wallet.

You know we are never going to settle the nuances of the degree of partisan politics in the nonpartisan Houston Mayoral contests.  But one thing we can all agree on is anyone that doesn't know there are no registered Democratic or Republican voters in Houston either isn't from Texas or is very clueless.

Sam Spade, your thoughts?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 12:02:41 AM »

I had a post on this, but lost it.  Whatever, I'll bring it up next time.  My family still lives in the East End, but the middle class Hispanic part that's fairly nice (not Eastwood, but the other area).

I'm a bit younger than you - Gulfgate was dead when I was around it in the mid-late 1990s, but it was of course, at one time, the best Houston mall.  I suspect we have a different view as black and Hispanic infiltration tends to mean different things, and the area around MacGregor Park was all black.  I really did live (and my parents still work) in the real barrio north of Buffalo Bayou, and I saw Fifth Ward during that era - the blacks were such animals in the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s in Houston, that I understand your feelings on the matter.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 12:18:06 AM »

At least Sam knows how to conduct a flame war.  No pussyfooting around with paragraph long posts about how much nicer their car is or how retarded someone may be- just straight napalm. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2011, 12:18:32 AM »

the blacks were such animals in the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s in Houston, that I understand your feelings on the matter.

Thanks.  It's always good to know who you are dealing with.

Of course. And now we have real obvious proof that you don't know anything about Houston.
Link
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2011, 12:21:49 AM »

the blacks were such animals in the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s in Houston, that I understand your feelings on the matter.

Thanks.  It's always good to know who you are dealing with.

Of course. And now we have real obvious proof that you don't know anything about Houston.

Because I don't agree with your statement, "blacks were such animals in the 1970s" that means I don't know anything about Houston?! Okay.
Link
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2011, 12:26:07 AM »

At least Sam knows how to conduct a flame war.  No pussyfooting around with paragraph long posts about how much nicer their car is or how retarded someone may be- just straight napalm. 

No doubt this is that olde time religion.  It's been a looonnnggg time since I've seen it done this way... a long time.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2011, 12:38:40 AM »

as we discussed some time ago, it wasn't the black neighborhoods I was scared of, rather it was the Mexican neighborhoods around Austin high school.  From my experience, blacks didn't go around looking for a fight and had respect for their own lives, so walking down a black neighborhood was pretty much a trivial matter for me.  But around Canal street and 59th and all those alphabetical avenues (e.g. Ave E), I would see Hispanic punks standing on the street corners sniffing paint out of a Coke cans and looking for someone to stab just for the fun of it.  

And it wasn't like I wasn't familiar with Mexican neighborhoods - I went to Park Place Elem and then to Deady Jr High and then to Milby, so I was very familiar with the neighborhood.  (I was actually zoned to Jones High School, but used a friend of the family's address to get into ParkPlace/Deady/Milby) But I saw some really bad things go down for no apparent reason around that neighborhood, esp Mason Park.

I was pretty much a punk myself, but I hated fighting.  esp senseless fighting.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2011, 12:59:42 AM »

I didn't notice Sam saying anything about Gulfgate Mall.  You're on your own there buddy.

… Sam Spade, your thoughts?

I think Sam’s opinion of your knowledge of Houston can speak for itself.

---

jmfcst, I was being charitable when I accused you of not being from Houston.  I just assumed that if you were as old as you claim you are and a political expert you would at least know how voter registration works in your state.

...but if you would like to wager $100 that registered Democrats outnumber Republicans by at least 2:1 in the City of Houston, then I'm sure we could find a neutral member of this forum to help transfer $100 from your pocket to my wallet.

You know we are never going to settle the nuances of the degree of partisan politics in the nonpartisan Houston Mayoral contests.  But one thing we can all agree on is anyone that doesn't know there are no registered Democratic or Republican voters in Houston either isn't from Texas or is very clueless.

Dude, even though no one is officially registered as a Dem or Rep voter, we still loosely use the term “registered Dem” or “registered Rep”, but we use it to mean a Democrat or Republican that is registered to vote.  

You’re basically “unofficially” considered a Dem or Rep when you vote in either primary and have your voter’s id card stamped “voted in Dem (or Rep) Primary”…cause trust me, if someone ran for office under the GOP banner but had voted in the last Dem primary, they wouldnt be considered a member of the GOP.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2011, 01:06:31 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2011, 01:13:31 AM by jmfcst »

At least Sam knows how to conduct a flame war.  No pussyfooting around with paragraph long posts about how much nicer their car is or how retarded someone may be- just straight napalm.  

as I have said before:  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sam Spade and KEmperor can both accept idiocy and simply walk away.  I can't.

And, trust me, I wasn't bragging about my base model Ford Fusion.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2011, 01:12:37 AM »

I see the "Liberals care to respond" thread has been locked.  I thought it was a useful multi flame war thread where the majority was engaged in his own war with only vague knowledge of the other wars going on around him.

it wasn't a productive thread, but it was a useful thread...it helps clear out the bad blood that builds from time to time.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2011, 01:20:23 AM »

At least Sam knows how to conduct a flame war.  No pussyfooting around with paragraph long posts about how much nicer their car is or how retarded someone may be- just straight napalm.  

as I have said before:  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sam Spade and KEmperor can both accept idiocy and simply walk away.  I can't.

No, I was not thinking of your Ford Fusion rather Wonkish's brag about his Escalade and high profile job which was likely spurred by the forum chorus calling him a retard.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2011, 01:38:49 AM »

No, I was not thinking of your Ford Fusion rather Wonkish's brag about his Escalade and high profile job which was likely spurred by the forum chorus calling him a retard.

ah, got it now.  thought you were refering to my explanation to TXMichael for living a 50 mile commute from Houston.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2011, 01:40:28 AM »

Wow......this thread went in a new direction

Surprise
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2011, 01:56:39 AM »

Wow......this thread went in a new direction

Surprise

well, that's what happens when two ignorant Yankee bastards (one from Dallas and one from BFE) attempt to drive through my old hood as if they were hometown homies and sell me the lowdown on my own casa.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies