Dems rally for Kerry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:39:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Dems rally for Kerry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dems rally for Kerry  (Read 3837 times)
dunn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2004, 08:54:03 AM »

Dems rally for Kerry

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry was hailed by party leaders Thursday night, following a day in which he picked up key endorsements.

Kerry, who hit the campaign trail after almost a week on vacation, was the star of a Democratic "unity" dinner in Washington where party leaders, including former Presidents Clinton and Carter, rallied the party faithful.

"If people think in this election, if they think about the choices that have been made and the vision John Kerry offers, we win," Clinton said.

Earlier, at a rally at George Washington University, Kerry and former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean pledged to put their sometimes-bitter primary fight behind them.

"Howard and I understand this election is not about us," Kerry told the cheering crowd.

"It's not about a party. It's about our country. It's about you and your future."

Kerry also picked up the endorsement of another major union, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees.

The twin endorsements underscored Kerry's status as the all-but-crowned Democratic nominee.

Dean said he would use his campaign organization -- now rechristened "Democracy for America" -- to boost Kerry's campaign.

"In the end, it is Generation Dean voting for John Kerry for president of the United States that is going to send George Bush back to Texas where he belongs," Dean said.

For his part, Kerry promised to continue the "conversation with America" that Dean began.

And he and Dean both hammered at the Bush administration's reputation for credibility, with Kerry vowing to restore "people's trust that what we say, we mean, and that we mean what we say."

Dean used the same theme in his endorsement, telling the audience, "I know who I trust. I trust John Kerry. And that's who I'm voting for and that's who I'm working for."

Dean's outspoken opposition to the invasion of Iraq and his use of the Internet to rally supporters and donors made him the front-runner in polls before the first Democratic contests in Iowa and New Hampshire.

But those tactics failed to translate into votes: Back-to-back losses in those contests sent his campaign into a tailspin, and he abandoned his presidential bid in February.

During the campaign, Dean blasted Kerry as a "Washington insider" who failed to stand up for Democratic principles. But Thursday, he said the two had put the campaign behind them after a meeting earlier this month.

"We're both tough competitors," Dean said. "But there are things in the campaign we talked about, focusing on the things that divide us. Now we're going to talk about the things that we have in common."
dunn

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 08:55:12 AM »

and the photo

ElCidGOP
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 10:00:13 AM »

Gore, Kerry, Clinton, Sharpton, Edwards, Clarke, Carter....

What a bunch of losers.
dunn

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 10:17:04 AM »

What a bunch of losers.
You can call Clinton any name (and I don't like him) but he is NO looser
Kghadial
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 10:31:57 AM »

Gore isn't much of a loser either.  He garnered more votes than his opponent in every single political race he has ever entered, excepting of course his '88 run for the nomination.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 10:42:59 AM »

What a bunch of losers.

Well that was insightful… and yeah how is Clinton a loser… didn’t he wip GOP-ass twice?... lets see your boy do that in November?...

Even Gore’s isn’t a loser (increasingly liberal yeah… not a looser) last time I checked he got more votes than Bush… well that must mean Bush is a looser to… but you wouldn’t agree with that…

But welcome to the board and simmer down a bit … just throwing around insults isn’t going to help the debate … if you disagree with them, argue your point … its amazing how much common ground and parity there is on this board between Dems and Reps…  

And Once again welcome…      
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 11:44:23 PM »

What a bunch of losers.

This is a stupid comment.  1st of all, Gore sucks; I'll give you that.  Secondly, Sharpton sucks (because he's a darn anti-semite).  However, the rest, I simply must disagree.  I once saw a button that said, "What's worse?  Screwing an intern or screwing a country?" and that's my feelings on Clinton.  On Kerry, I can't wait 'till he whips Bush's tail & you can eat your words.  On Edwards, I can't wait 'till he whips Cheney's tail & you can eat your words.  On Clarke, well...  I'm so sorry that he told the truth, truly I am.  And Carter was the last Dem. in office before Clinton, so as far as recent elected officials, Carter is someone we need to cling onto.  But I don't really have an opinion one way or another about him.
Seeing Clinton speak for the first time in a LONG time was so refreshing for me.  Does anyone feel the same as I?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 12:00:44 AM »

Did anyone acctually see this rally on TV.  I did.  It was pathetic.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 12:18:16 AM »

What exactly would you say was pathetic about it?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004, 02:56:47 AM »

Proably that it was full of Democrats... had it been Republicans I'm sure it would have been "a savy show of party unity and confidence going into November"...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2004, 10:58:52 AM »

why was al sharpton invited?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2004, 11:34:31 AM »

Why does Pat Robertson get invited to Republican events?

Each party has members who the other side would consider to be "out there".
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2004, 11:36:11 AM »

I don't think it is just members of the GOP who think Sharpton is "out there".
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2004, 11:37:37 AM »

I don't think it is just members of the GOP who think Sharpton is "out there".

Just as I'm sure there are Republicans who would agree that Robertson is "out there".  Yet he still gets invited.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2004, 12:57:17 PM »

i havent seen robertson at any gop events lately.

fun fact:  pat robertson's father was a us senator from virginia, guess what party he belonged to?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2004, 02:01:14 PM »

i havent seen robertson at any gop events lately.

fun fact:  pat robertson's father was a us senator from virginia, guess what party he belonged to?

Dont tell me a Democrat?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2004, 03:15:01 PM »

lol.

check out the link:

http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=R000317
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2004, 03:25:08 PM »

My 3 favorite politicians ever (John Edwards, Al Gore, Bill Clinton) on the same stage, it was cool for me at least.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2004, 03:36:16 PM »

What a bunch of losers.

This is a stupid comment.  1st of all, Gore sucks; I'll give you that.  Secondly, Sharpton sucks (because he's a darn anti-semite).  However, the rest, I simply must disagree.  I once saw a button that said, "What's worse?  Screwing an intern or screwing a country?" and that's my feelings on Clinton.  On Kerry, I can't wait 'till he whips Bush's tail & you can eat your words.  On Edwards, I can't wait 'till he whips Cheney's tail & you can eat your words.  On Clarke, well...  I'm so sorry that he told the truth, truly I am.  And Carter was the last Dem. in office before Clinton, so as far as recent elected officials, Carter is someone we need to cling onto.  But I don't really have an opinion one way or another about him.
Seeing Clinton speak for the first time in a LONG time was so refreshing for me.  Does anyone feel the same as I?

Man, that must have been a catfight.  All those Democrats in one room together.  Carter never much liked Clinton, I understand, and Clinton never much liked Gore.  In fact, there were all these stories about how Clinton and Bush (in the transition meeting in January 2000) found more in common to talk about than Clinton and Gore ever did in 8 years.  Too funny.  Yeah, gore is a fool, but I like to watch clinton speak too.  He has that very exotic accent, and is something of a comedian, like Bush.  As for Sharpton, I'm not sure it's fair to call him an anti-semite.  Sure, he's humiliated by our country's one-sided policy regarding Israel, but many people are, so don't read too much into that.  Sharpton's biggest problem is that he's an opportunist and a liar.  He goes into these black churches in places like South Carolina, where folks make like 15000 per year, and after they've passed around the hat once for the church offering, they pass it around again for Sharpton's campaigns and causes.  "Dig deep brothers and sisters."  Taking those poor folks' money without shame or gaff.  What a con-artist.  But, you gotta give him credit, he's the best orator in the bunch.  Oratory is a lost art in american politics, and Sharpton is one of the best.  Maybe it's a protestant thing, I'm not sure, but I do like listening to his one-line zingers against those snooty Democrats in debates!
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2004, 05:58:55 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2004, 06:00:33 PM by lidaker »

Speaking of oratory, what struck me the most when watching the event was how well Clinton performed. He really outshone them all. He was and is not only a good orator but a brilliant communicator. In this televison era politics is really about communicating and having Clinton's skills is an enormous asset. Which brings me to Kerry's performance. It was lousy. He showed this kind of stiff, ineffective, mumbling style in the beginning of the campaign and now it appears to be back. He sometimes seems to be in love with his own voice. It's very boring and uninspiring to watch and listen to such a monotonous person. If he doesn't sharpen up his rhetorics people will be turned off and he won't get his message out.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2004, 08:02:46 PM »

What a bunch of losers.

Man, that must have been a catfight.  All those Democrats in one room together.  Carter never much liked Clinton, I understand, and Clinton never much liked Gore.  In fact, there were all these stories about how Clinton and Bush (in the transition meeting in January 2000) found more in common to talk about than Clinton and Gore ever did in 8 years.  Too funny.  Yeah, gore is a fool, but I like to watch clinton speak too.  He has that very exotic accent, and is something of a comedian, like Bush.  As for Sharpton, I'm not sure it's fair to call him an anti-semite.  Sure, he's humiliated by our country's one-sided policy regarding Israel, but many people are, so don't read too much into that.  Sharpton's biggest problem is that he's an opportunist and a liar.  He goes into these black churches in places like South Carolina, where folks make like 15000 per year, and after they've passed around the hat once for the church offering, they pass it around again for Sharpton's campaigns and causes.  "Dig deep brothers and sisters."  Taking those poor folks' money without shame or gaff.  What a con-artist.  But, you gotta give him credit, he's the best orator in the bunch.  Oratory is a lost art in american politics, and Sharpton is one of the best.  Maybe it's a protestant thing, I'm not sure, but I do like listening to his one-line zingers against those snooty Democrats in debates!

Sharpton is definitely an Anti-Semite.  He once compared Jews to people that drink the blood of babies.  My parents saw him saying this live & I have actually seen the quote a few times.  Look it up on the internet.
dunn

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2004, 08:03:40 PM »

What a bunch of losers.

Sharpton is definitely an Anti-Semite.  He once compared Jews to people that drink the blood of babies.  My parents saw him saying this live & I have actually seen the quote a few times.  Look it up on the internet.

he is
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2004, 08:08:45 PM »

The crowd was energized to see Clinton.  Everyother speaker was totally lack-luster, including Kerry.  Infact, when Kerry took the podium, no one cheered.  He has the charisma of a dead dog.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2004, 08:10:27 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2004, 02:48:37 AM by Ben »

Kinda like Bush or Cheney for that matter...

The crowd was energized to see Clinton.  Everyother speaker was totally lack-luster, including Kerry.  Infact, when Kerry took the podium, no one cheered.  He has the charisma of a dead dog.

Kinda like Bush and Cheney then...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2004, 08:13:10 PM »

Kinda like Bush or Cheney for that matter...

But Bush has a folksy manner that people find appealing.  Kerry is just deadpan.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies