Department of Education to tighten Pell Grant eligibility
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:53:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Department of Education to tighten Pell Grant eligibility
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is this a good idea?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Department of Education to tighten Pell Grant eligibility  (Read 3794 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2004, 05:10:48 PM »

In a society where a college degree is becoming more and more necessary, the government should ensure that everyone has financial access to college.
Or alternatively you could actually pay for the services you get... you know, pay the university fees yourself?  Society owes you nothing.

We the creation of a society where the poor do not become a permanent underclass that can never get educated.
I have no idea what you just said, and English is my fourth language.  Try again.

He is saying that under your system, the poor could never become anything but poor. They could never afford an education.

Which is of course fiction. You know people did go to college before all these "grants" came into existence. If they need the money they can join the military which offers the G.I. Bill. Which I strongly support.

Someone once told me, "The world needs ditch diggers to."

Before these government programs - including the GI bill - came into existence, only the upper classes attended university.  That's fine with me, but I can't see how the majority could support it.

As for the world needing ditch diggers - these are your children, the children of the working class you are talking about.  Besides, if labour is made scarce enough machines are used to dig ditches.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2004, 07:18:50 PM »

In a society where a college degree is becoming more and more necessary, the government should ensure that everyone has financial access to college.
Or alternatively you could actually pay for the services you get... you know, pay the university fees yourself?  Society owes you nothing.

We the creation of a society where the poor do not become a permanent underclass that can never get educated.
I have no idea what you just said, and English is my fourth language.  Try again.

He is saying that under your system, the poor could never become anything but poor. They could never afford an education.

Which is of course fiction. You know people did go to college before all these "grants" came into existence. If they need the money they can join the military which offers the G.I. Bill. Which I strongly support.

Someone once told me, "The world needs ditch diggers to."

Before these government programs - including the GI bill - came into existence, only the upper classes attended university.  That's fine with me, but I can't see how the majority could support it.

As for the world needing ditch diggers - these are your children, the children of the working class you are talking about.  Besides, if labour is made scarce enough machines are used to dig ditches.

No machine will EVER replace the abilities of a human being. They may make improvements to make the task of a human EASIER but humans can never fully be replaced.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2004, 08:00:27 PM »

And only the rich had electricity, and only the rich had a car, etc.  I know.  But what you forget is that the whole wealth curve has shifted UPWARDS.  The *entire* curve.  Sure, the rich gets richer, but the poor gets richer too!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies