As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:28:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 105
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 313560 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1925 on: August 05, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »

Simfan34, this thread is not about 'actions', or about 'carrying things through'.  This thread is about dreams, heartbreak, despair, and hopelessness that we cannot even imagine.  And a man who keeps going regardless.  It is the most heroic thread on the forum.

Agreed. And none of us can turn away.

It's powerful enough to bring you back for a gander every few months. It must be something!

Welcome back J-Mann.  Oh and I forgot 'folly', but I suppose that both goes without saying and is somewhat deceptive...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1926 on: August 05, 2012, 04:10:38 PM »

Quite frankly Fort Collins and the rest of the Front Range seem like considerably nicer places than most of the populated part of Utah, but good luck, I guess.

The Salt Lake Valley is a very nice place, really.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1927 on: August 05, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2012, 07:57:34 PM by Nathan »

Quite frankly Fort Collins and the rest of the Front Range seem like considerably nicer places than most of the populated part of Utah, but good luck, I guess.

Compared to the rest of the Wasatch Front or on its own merits? Bear in mind that I strongly dislike extensive development outside urban or small-town cores.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1928 on: August 05, 2012, 07:48:33 PM »

Hmm... I still think something is really odd. I have to go up to Oklahoma the 19th through the 21st for work, and the day before I'm supposed to get there Jeff leaves. I'm wondering, perhaps he isn't real after all.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1929 on: August 05, 2012, 07:50:38 PM »

If it wasn't for the sprawl it would be one of the nicest places in the country.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1930 on: August 05, 2012, 07:51:18 PM »

I'm looking forward to Christmas time.  Hoping for a White Christmas!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1931 on: August 05, 2012, 08:50:19 PM »

I am 5 days into this Utah preparation. I'm doing more research on Utah tonight and will probably hit the sack about 12:30 Monday morning. I am down to 12 days until I leave for the Beehive State. Tomorrow, I've got quite a few things to do, so it's going to be a busy day. At 9:00 pm CDT tonight, I have 295.5 hours remaining until my mother and I pull out of her driveway. This time is going by very quick! I started the preparation with 17 days and I've already spent 5, so I'm almost 1/3 of the way through this preparation. 2 weeks from tonight, I will be spending my first night in Salt Lake City, Utah at the La Quinta Inn in Midvale, Utah which is a southern suburb of SLC.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1932 on: August 05, 2012, 09:41:28 PM »

Well, it is Utah...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1933 on: August 05, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »

I was reading online that there is a 53% probability of having 1" of snow on the ground on Christmas Day.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1934 on: August 05, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »

I was reading online that there is a 53% probability of having 1" of snow on the ground on Christmas Day.

I'm pretty sure Phil was implying something else.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1935 on: August 05, 2012, 11:10:13 PM »

I'll admit, that bird just flew a mile over my head!  Unless it has a Mormon reference, he lost me...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1936 on: August 05, 2012, 11:24:58 PM »

I'll admit, that bird just flew a mile over my head!  Unless it has a Mormon reference, he lost me...

Persons of color are thin on the ground in Utah. Even the landscaping crews tend to be white. I didn't see anyone of color at the two fast food joints I patronized in Provo a few years ago either. In fact the only persons of color I have seen in Utah were in Boulder, two Hispanics tending the horses at a remote guest ranch, very remote, which offered that amenity. Speaking of "color," Boulder, Utah, yes Utah, not Colorado, is the "darkest" place in the continental US when it comes to light pollution, and is at 8,000 feet elevation,, and fairly arid, which equals crystal clear night skies. I plan to go back soon with a telescope when the moon is not making an appearance, to savor the cosmos, while sipping a cocktail on the porch of the ranch. It is an undiscovered treasure, and very cheap, about 80 bucks a night. It won't be for long.

I have so many things to do before I sleep, and time is slipping away.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1937 on: August 05, 2012, 11:28:12 PM »

Persons of color are thin on the ground in Utah. Even the landscaping crews tend to be white. I didn't see anyone of color at the two fast food joints I patronized in Provo a few years ago either. In fact the only persons of color I have seen in Utah were in Boulder, two Hispanics tending the horses at a remote guest ranch, very remote, which offered that amenity. Speaking of "color," Boulder, Utah, yes Utah, not Colorado, is the "darkest" place in the continental US when it comes to light pollution, and is at 8,000 feet elevation,, and fairly arid, which equals crystal clear night skies. I plan to go back soon with a telescope when the moon is not making an appearance, to savor the cosmos, while sipping a cocktail on the porch of the ranch. It is an undiscovered treasure, and very cheap, about 80 bucks a night. It won't be for long.

Ahh, thanks, Torie!  That makes perfect sense.  I've checked the White percentage and it showed like 91.9% with the second biggest group being Asians at a paltry 2.2%.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1938 on: August 06, 2012, 01:39:00 AM »

Bush is moving to Utah when I'm moving to New York, what a co-inky-dink.

Where in NY are you moving to?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1939 on: August 06, 2012, 08:17:28 AM »

Was this the Boulder Mountain Lodge? I stayed there in 2001. Would love to go back, but not for that drive.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1940 on: August 06, 2012, 08:48:01 AM »

Ahh, thanks, Torie!  That makes perfect sense.  I've checked the White percentage and it showed like 91.9% with the second biggest group being Asians at a paltry 2.2%.

R +1
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1941 on: August 06, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2012, 10:42:54 AM by Torie »

I'll admit, that bird just flew a mile over my head!  Unless it has a Mormon reference, he lost me...

Was this the Boulder Mountain Lodge? I stayed there in 2001. Would love to go back, but not for that drive.

Close, but Boulder Maintain Guest Ranch actually - more remote, more rustic - and cheaper than the lodge.  You can see the deck where one can enjoy a most excellent dinner.  I brought my own booze and medications.  Smiley  We had the place basically all to ourselves, with the exception of a beautiful fit lady and her 12 year old son staying in an out building, who does a TV cooking show in Omaha, Nebraska, and hiked with her son up to a lake the day before and ran into a bear. Boy, was she a pistol! Fearless and adventurous women turn me on.

I also append a view from the top of the ridge (about 9,500 feet elevation) looking down on the Capitol Reef National Monument area. On a clear day in the rich afternoon light, if the view does not for just a moment cause one to question their atheism, then there is something wrong with them. It is indeed akin to a religious experience. Smiley Pity though that since I was there in college (at that time Boulder had nothing but a gas station and convenience market) the aspens have largely died off along the top of the ridge due to some disease. Maybe it was global warming of something!  They added a nice foreground to the view, and in the fall of course were dressed in their rich gold color in all their glory. I think I sat there in a grass meadow savoring it all for about an hour. I just could not leave.

And this overview of the topography gives you some idea as to just why the view is so magnificent. The ridge sort of juts out from the mountain range to the east, therefore affording about a 270 degree view. Magnifico! The LDS did indeed find God's favorite spot on this planet. Yes they did.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1942 on: August 06, 2012, 03:54:40 PM »

It’s a beautiful early Monday evening.  I’m in the process of making several phone calls to iron out much needed items, then I need to start cleaning my kitchen cabinets and get rid of all the food that is in there.  Tomorrow, I’ve got a busy day, I’ve got to get my car door looked at 9:00 am, then need to run out to Mardel’s on 240 and get a couple Bibles for the children I am baptizing on Sunday.  Then, I’ll need to head to my mother’s and see how we’re doing on our list.  After I get through there, I’ll have to run back to Grandma’s to get a couple items before coming back home so my aunt can meet my cat without so many kids around.  Wednesday, I’ll probably do some more cleaning of the cabinets and probably get some boxes to start packing stuff in.  Thursday, I will start packing the boxes and start organizing what will go in my car and what will go with the movers.  Friday, Mom and I are going to officially switch cars and I’ll take her car to Utah.  Saturday, it will be heavy sermon prep for Sunday and then Sunday will be my final worship service at Woods Baptist Church.  I’ll baptize, I’ll preach, and then we’ll have a church dinner after the AM service.  Then, next week, I’ll have to get my 50” TV over to Grandma’s and then wait for the movers on either Wednesday or Thursday and then get my tail on the road at 4:30 am Saturday!
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1943 on: August 06, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »

Haven't read this in a week or so. Anyone got the cliffnotes?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1944 on: August 06, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »

Basically, I got a promotion at work and am moving to Salt Lake City, Utah on August 18.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1945 on: August 06, 2012, 06:24:49 PM »

Basically, I got a promotion at work and am moving to Salt Lake City, Utah on August 18.

Oh good. Hows the love life?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1946 on: August 06, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »

Oh good. Hows the love life?

Non existent right now.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1947 on: August 06, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »

How long were you working at this job again?  You must have made quite an impression because wouldn't you still be under probation and not even covered by health insurance yet?

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1948 on: August 06, 2012, 06:44:39 PM »

How long were you working at this job again?  You must have made quite an impression because wouldn't you still be under probation and not even covered by health insurance yet?

I started June 18.  When I first started, they kept mentioning over and over about the likelihood of a quick first promotion.  Sure enough, at the end of Week 4, they announced that interviews for these higher positions would be starting very soon.  I had the interview for the supervisor position on July 23 and found out that i had the job in Salt Lake City on July 30.  I'm not eligible for benefits until January 1, but I can still keep the Indian Clinic here in Oklahoma for my medicine and for a yearly checkup.  Probation was supposed to end on August 17 after 2 full months, but they liked me well enough because I was there early everyday, I passed all my tests by much more than the minimum score, and I had great Customer Satisfaction Survey results.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1949 on: August 06, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »

11 days until I'm out of Oklahoma!!  I am making great progress on my list, but there's still a lot more work to be done.  11 days is pretty much a week and a half.  At 4:30 tomorrow evening, it will be exactly 1.5 weeks.  When I leave next Saturday morning at 4:30 am, I will probably not return at all in the remainder of 2012.  We are currently less than 2 hours from Tuesday morning, at which time I will be 2 days away from beginning to pack.  I'm buttoning up the last few items in Oklahoma this week and then will officially move into the transition process on Monday.  I won’t have everything wrapped up in Oklahoma until likely September, but that will just be one item.  At 10:30 pm tonight, I am exactly 270 hours away (11 ¼ days)!!
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies