As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:47:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 105
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 312148 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »

I will also need crisp, fresh dollar bills (2006 or newer) as they have a better exchange rate.
oh my god...
No, that is good policy and it really has nothing to do with exchange rates.  I had to pay about $130 bucks for my entry Visa into Chile. If the bill had the slightest imperfection, they kicked it back to you. I had about 300 bucks in my pocket and barely had enough acceptable cash.  Many money exchanges would work on the same principal and only accept newer, clean bills.  They are a bit scared of accepting phoney money. 

Maybe I just don't have to deal with that having only been to Europe, but I've never even been asked about ratty bills I exchange. I've never heard of that in my life and I've exchanged money more times than I can count. Unless it's ripping in half or scuffed up beyond recognition, in which case I'd doubt you'd have it anyway, there should really be no problem with using used currency.

Also, you can go into most exchanges and order most currencies. Which would be more expensive but a much, MUCH better idea than waiting until you arrive at the foreign country to get their money.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2011, 10:51:36 AM »

Oh. One last thing Bushie. Anytime somebody tells you they have an "opportunity" for you, they're ripping you off. It's a codeword for scam. Real opportunities and good deals don't advertise. You have to seek them out.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2011, 11:07:56 AM »

First off this thread is miles better than any Comedy Goldmine/Institute. Ever.
Bushie, I did 5 minutes of legwork for you, and googled Christian Kenya charity. I didn't have time to make sure this charity is 100% legit (and the internet is certainly full of scams), but if you sincerely want to make sure that $2,000 best helps the people of Kenya with Christian intent, here's one:
http://www.christianaid.org.uk/whatwedo/africa/kenya.aspx And you can't go wrong with the Red Cross either. If you want to go to Africa for some sort of personal growth experience for yourself (or just to see the world), that's great and there's nothing wrong with that. But there's no way going in person is the most effective way to spend your scarce (no offense, mine are scarce too) resources. In short, this trip is about you, not about Kenya. Consider that for a moment.

I'm going to go on the premise that a church, especially a church I know the members of, would not steer me wrong.  Plus, this church has been going with Maisha for several years now.

At least this is not job threatening or duping people into some phony insurance discounts.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2011, 12:55:20 PM by memphis »

Apparantly, not only was Bushie born yesterday, he was born again yesterday as well.
Look, I think it's amazing that you sincerely want to help people. Seriously. Most people wouldn't go through all the trouble for strangers. That's powerful stuff! You have great intentions. That said, if it is really about helping Kenyans, you should ask yourself what is the most effective way to help them. Is it better to pay to send yourself over there or could that money be better spent on a charity, which is an expert at doing the most good with the least amount of money Because you are going through a lot of trouble just to fundraise just to be nice. And whatever you choose with this situation, of course, that's better than being a vacuum scam artist.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2011, 01:05:08 PM »

Apparantly, not only was Bushie born yesterday, he was born again yesterday as well.
Look, I think it's amazing that you sincerely want to help people. Seriously. Most people wouldn't go through all the trouble for strangers. That's powerful stuff! You have great intentions. That said, if it is really about helping Kenyans, you should ask yourself what is the most effective way to help them. Is it better to pay to send yourself over there or could that money be better spent on a charity, which is an expert at doing the most good with the least amount of money Because you are going through a lot of trouble just to fundraise just to be nice. And whatever you choose with this situation, of course, that's better than being a vacuum scam artist.

I will say, though, that I do want the experience of going overseas.  That's been one of my desires that I haven't talked much about.  I understand what you are saying that sending $2,000 is more efficient than going there, but I do want the experience of a third-world country, if only for a few days.  This will hopefully give me a much better appreciation for how well we have it in America when I see poverty first hand.  So, yeah, this is not just about helping the Kenya orphanage, but it is about giving me a better world view.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2011, 01:39:43 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2011, 01:42:25 PM by memphis »

Nothing wrong with wanting to see the world. I do too, and I'm not a good enough person to do charity work on my travels. However, you REALLY need to do some homework before even signing up to go to Africa. A good place to begin is wikitravel.org They aren't nearly as professional as wikipedia, but they are geared toward travellers and have some good info. At the very least please, please, please read their article on kenya before comitting to going. Please don't be offended, but you tend to make decisions before weighing all the facts. Know what you're getting into before you sign up. And find out from the mission people where you'll be staying, if there will be a toilet, what will you eat, etc. And make sure your employer is cool with it too. We don't need another job search thread. And one last thing, try not to use the phrase "third-world." It's old fashioned and rubs people the wrong way. By very low African standards, Kenya isn't even that poor a country.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2011, 01:53:53 PM »

A friend of mine has been to Kenya. I should ask him more about his trip.

...on second thought, I don't want to give BushOK any bad ideas.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »

Nothing wrong with wanting to see the world. I do too, and I'm not a good enough person to do charity work on my travels. However, you REALLY need to do some homework before even signing up to go to Africa. A good place to begin is wikitravel.org They aren't nearly as professional as wikipedia, but they are geared toward travellers and have some good info. At the very least please, please, please read their article on kenya before comitting to going. Please don't be offended, but you tend to make decisions before weighing all the facts. Know what you're getting into before you sign up. And find out from the mission people where you'll be staying, if there will be a toilet, what will you eat, etc. And make sure your employer is cool with it too. We don't need another job search thread. And one last thing, try not to use the phrase "third-world." It's old fashioned and rubs people the wrong way. By very low African standards, Kenya isn't even that poor a country.

I checked Wikitravel on Africa, and I didn't see very many warnings or caution signs on Kenya, other than the high HIV/AIDS population, which I already knew.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2011, 02:02:42 PM »

Who do you bank with?  Bank of America and Citi both do Kenyan shillings.  I didn't go through all of the other big banks, but most big banks can do it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2011, 02:05:10 PM »

Who do you bank with?  Bank of America and Citi both do Kenyan shillings.  I didn't go through all of the other big banks, but most big banks can do it.

Chase
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2011, 02:54:59 PM »

So what if the trip is about him? If his parents and grandmother decide they want to gift him with this, at least it's a contained amount of money and not some major life change.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2011, 02:56:58 PM »

So what if the trip is about him? If his parents and grandmother decide they want to gift him with this, at least it's a contained amount of money and not some major life change.

Exactly, and again, it's not duping poor retired people into buying vacuums or phony discount insurance.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2011, 02:59:53 PM »

I will also need crisp, fresh dollar bills (2006 or newer) as they have a better exchange rate.
oh my god...
No, that is good policy and it really has nothing to do with exchange rates.  I had to pay about $130 bucks for my entry Visa into Chile. If the bill had the slightest imperfection, they kicked it back to you. I had about 300 bucks in my pocket and barely had enough acceptable cash.  Many money exchanges would work on the same principal and only accept newer, clean bills.  They are a bit scared of accepting phoney money. 

Maybe I just don't have to deal with that having only been to Europe, but I've never even been asked about ratty bills I exchange. I've never heard of that in my life and I've exchanged money more times than I can count. Unless it's ripping in half or scuffed up beyond recognition, in which case I'd doubt you'd have it anyway, there should really be no problem with using used currency.

Also, you can go into most exchanges and order most currencies. Which would be more expensive but a much, MUCH better idea than waiting until you arrive at the foreign country to get their money.

It's a thing that seems to apply quite broadly around Africa. It doesn't seem to even necessarily apply to worn out bills either. Haven't yet gotten a particularly good answer on why that's so yet.

Bushie, make sure you have health insurance covering you when in Kenya. Nairobi probably has the best health facilities in east Africa, but you should probably make sure you're covered for medivac anyway.

And stick to bottled water where you can.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »

But if it's about seeing the world, wouldn't it perhaps make sense to organize this trip outside of a church mission with perhaps a different destination (somewhere in Europe for more time and less money)? Or is Africa somewhere you absolutely want to go?

I can think of much more interesting things to do with $2,000 Smiley
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »

oh my god...

It's a thing that seems to apply quite broadly around Africa. It doesn't seem to even necessarily apply to worn out bills either. Haven't yet gotten a particularly good answer on why that's so yet.

Bushie, make sure you have health insurance covering you when in Kenya. Nairobi probably has the best health facilities in east Africa, but you should probably make sure you're covered for medivac anyway.

And stick to bottled water where you can.

I will get the traveler's health insurance package that is offered, plus I will have my own health insurance from my employer, and I will definitely stick to bottled water.  In the fact, the place we're going which is the Kidjitsu area near Kisumu, supplies bottled water for brushing teeth and taking medicine, as well.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2011, 03:15:38 PM »

But if it's about seeing the world, wouldn't it perhaps make sense to organize this trip outside of a church mission with perhaps a different destination (somewhere in Europe for more time and less money)? Or is Africa somewhere you absolutely want to go?

I can think of much more interesting things to do with $2,000 Smiley

With this trip, I can do two things I've always wanted to do, travel abroad and minister to the orphans and the widows.  In fact, in the Bible, in the New Testament book of James it says that true religion is serving the widows and the fatherless (orphans).
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »

Can someone shutdown National Lampoon's Kenyan Vacation before it turns into another update?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2011, 03:54:27 PM »

Can someone shutdown National Lampoon's Kenyan Vacation before it turns into another update?

If it turns into update, I don't care.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2011, 04:07:30 PM »

I checked Wikitravel on Africa, and I didn't see very many warnings or caution signs on Kenya, other than the high HIV/AIDS population, which I already knew.

What about Somali kidnappers?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »

I'm sure they'll keep us far enough away from the Somali border to keep us safe.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2011, 05:17:14 PM »

I shared this on the Off Topic board just now, but the reason I want to go to Kenya is to experience something big.  My entire life I was known as the kid/guy who chickened out of everything or found some excuse so as not to do something.  I am trying to change that as I enter my 4th decade of life at the end of April.  I almost chickened out of Kenya, too, because I first knew about it two weeks ago, but declined because I wanted to go see my niece in Florida.  However, I got to thinking, that this is a big opportunity to do something unique and something that I will have a story to tell to my kids and grandkids when I am blessed to have them.  I can see my niece this summer or next Christmas if I wanted to, this is something that is hard to pass up.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »

Bushie, you're NOT the chicken guy. You're the impulsive jump the gun guy. That's the complete opposite.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2011, 05:43:53 PM »

Bushie, you're NOT the chicken guy. You're the impulsive jump the gun guy. That's the complete opposite.

That's mainly the past couple years.  Before 2008, I was always making excuses not to do anything huge.  The past 3-4 years I've been trying to change that, and I'll admit have fallen flat on my face and skinned my knee quite a number of times.  This time is the tell-all, because my parents and I have agreed that if I do end up falling flat on my face again, they will not pick me back up, even if that means I have to sell my house and move in with Grandma or go to the City Rescue Mission.  They will help me get to Kenya, but I have to show some responsibility when I get home by picking up where I left off at my job and take complete control of every aspect of my life.  My mother desperately needs to retire from Tinker AFB and she plans to do that June 1 regardless of what happens to me in March.  Again, as someone said earlier, at least this is a contained amount and a respectable endeavor, even if it is a large amount, it is contained, and not a wild adventure in the scam world.  I also told them that if I thought my job would in any way be threatened by going to Kenya, I would stay home and opt for my 3 or 4 day vacation to Florida instead.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »

If it turns into update, I don't care.

Favorite. Mod. Ever.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2011, 08:40:47 PM »

I'm sure they'll keep us far enough away from the Somali border to keep us safe.

And the people who've been kidnapped before *didn't* think they were far enough from the border to be safe?

Obviously, you should be armed at all times just to be safe.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies