As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:42:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 105
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 313924 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: February 17, 2012, 09:23:57 PM »

If we have learned anything in this saga, it is the main character tends to be a bit optimistic about his chances. My advice is to take whichever job is extended to you, if one is, rather than assume Dell will rehire you. If you were having trouble with tech help and knowing answers to basic questions, I would not feel overly confident that you will be hired full time. That is the vibe I am getting from the writers. I predict, however, you will get the AT&T job, turn it down so you can spend an extra day in Kenya, and then not get hired by Dell. The main character will return to the unemployment life like he was most of last season.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #426 on: February 17, 2012, 09:27:16 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2012, 09:28:59 PM by And then there were 4 »

So, you're basically saying a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?    That's what I was kind of thinking, because I want to secure a job for several years to come, not just a couple months.  I want to foil the writer's plans. Smiley

One of my other thoughts toward that is everyone knows what happens when one assumes.  Makes a donkey out of you and me.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #427 on: February 17, 2012, 09:31:49 PM »

Listen, brother, I am not following all these saying you're spewing out of that mouth of yours, but if you think having a sure thing job regardless of pay for the moment is better than taking a risk, then we agree. Wink

Nothing is a sure thing, especially in Oklahoma, so if AT&T extends you an offer, take it. Don't assume Dell will hire you, because if you make that huge assumption, it will likely come back to bite you and you will be unemployed once again, and this thread will start over, with you looking for a job and hopefully finding another fiancée.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #428 on: February 17, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »

I think I'm going to have to agree with you, Duke.  Again, with AT&T not starting until March 26, that gives me 3 weeks to see if Dell can offer me a job.  If it does, then I can cancel AT&T.  If it does not, then I'm in good shape because I have a plan for the longer term future, not just the early spring of 2012.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #429 on: February 17, 2012, 09:46:59 PM »

If you can cancel on AT&T anyway, then why is this even a question? At least if Dell doesn't come through, you will have a job, and if they do, you will have choices. Sounds ideal to me. Less money coming in is better than no money coming in. Remember, you don't want to mooch off your parents anymore than you already have! You're 30 now! A big boy!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #430 on: February 17, 2012, 09:51:24 PM »

Exactly, Duke, that's what I'm starting to realize.  My mother is retiring on April 30, so their support is out of the question.  Some of my friends will tell me have faith and trust in God, but my God also tells me that there is something called common sense, which sadly is not very common.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #431 on: February 17, 2012, 10:27:18 PM »

Praise!!!! You're finally getting it!! God wants us to use the common sense he so diligently gave us!
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #432 on: February 18, 2012, 12:27:43 AM »

This thread has taught me that I am really glad that I was never Buskok's boss. I know it is a part of your condition but people really hate being asked the same thing over and again.  Stretching back a few months ago with your scheduling and days off likely hurt you. 
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #433 on: February 18, 2012, 06:16:57 AM »

If I end up re-locating my office to Pittsburgh, I'm going to be in charge, and have to hire about 8 new people... I think I might just offer Bushie a job.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #434 on: February 18, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »

Bushie, why is momma needing to retire?  She can't be that old.  Is she ok?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #435 on: February 18, 2012, 11:21:25 AM »

Won't you still be in Kenya March 26th?  The writers are confusing me
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #436 on: February 18, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In my book, such support would have been "out of the question" long ago. Jeff is most fortunate that I am not his father - as I am sure he would agree. Smiley
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #437 on: February 18, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »

Bushie, why is momma needing to retire?  She can't be that old.  Is she ok?

She will be 60 in October and has been working at Tinker AFB since 1978, so it's time for her to retire.

If I got the job at AT&T, I would come back from Kenya a day early (there are provisions to do this.)

However, my father, mother, and brother gave me some advice.  They said I would be starting over at AT&T and it could end up like Sprint did, which isn't well.  They said I'd be better off sticking with Dell and focusing all my attention there and continuing to improve on the technical questions and also improving in my day to day work, as well.  About 4:00 yesterday, in the middle of my lunch break, they even gave me possible start dates, all Mondays, either March 5, April 23, April 30, or May 7.  They have every intention of bringing me on permanent, I just have to hit a homerun on this interview and we have to work around the hiring freeze.  The hiring freeze is why they are extending my contract for two months.  If I don't get the March 5 start date, I should know sometime in early April if and when I start later that month, because they can interview and make their decision during the freeze, they just can't do anything with HR in that period of time.  In fact, it is very possible, I could have a definitive start date by the end of February, which is 8 working days from now.  So, I'm going to say thanks, but no thanks, to AT&T and focus all my attention on Dell.  I'm only 3 1/2 months away from my 1 year anniversary at Dell, which is a lot better than starting from scratch in an environment that may end up like Sprint which died after only 8 weeks.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #438 on: February 19, 2012, 11:20:48 PM »

A Kenya update:

We had our final official meeting this evening.  We discussed several things including exactly what we'll be doing, which includes building a medical clinic, helping the doctor and nurse at the existing medical clinic, Going into the slums and ministering to those sick with HIV/AIDS as well as other diseases, Assisting at the orphanage and providing for their basic needs.  We also discussed the packing party, which we'll have in two weeks on Sunday, March 4, 2012 where we will pack all the extra supplies that we are going to take such as light weight tools like paint rollers and pans and school supplies for the children.  We want to distribute the materials in each of our bags so the weight in each bag doesn't exceed the 50 lb weight limit for the bag.  We will have two suitcases each, one for personal items and one for supplies, plus a backpack carry on and a laptop sachel or such.

We also received the daily itinerary and schedule for the time we'll be on the ground.  We'll arrive in Nairobi at 8:40 pm EAT (Eastern Africa Time), 12:40 pm CDT, 1:40 pm EDT on Saturday, March 17.  It'll take us 3 or 4 hours to clear customs, get our visas, and officially enter the country.  We'll be bussed to a hotel in Nairobi for a quick morning's sleep and be back at the Nairobi airport by 6:00 am Sunday, March 18 (10:00 pm Saturday in Oklahoma) to fly to Kisumu and then we'll be bussed over to the Guest House for breakfast, rest, and then lunch.  We'll leave for Maisha, the site of the work for a Welcoming Ceremony.  We'll work on the ground Monday-Saturday with a general daily schedule like this:

7:00-8:30 am - Breakfast
8:30-9:00 am - Drive to Maisha
9:00-1:00 pm - Team Maisha Projects
1:00-2:00 pm - Lunch at Maisha
2:00-5:30 pm - Team Maisha Projects
5:30-6:00 pm - Drive back to Guest House
6:00-7:00 pm - Relax
7:00-9:00 pm - Dinner at Guest House, followed by devotion and debriefing meeting.

On Sunday, March 25, 2012, we'll attend a church service at Maisha and then go back to the guest house for lunch at 12:30 and then head to the Kisumu airport at 2:00 pm to fly to Nairobi for our 11:35 pm departure for the United States.  We'll arrive back in Oklahoma City approximately 7:15 pm on Monday, March 26.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #439 on: February 20, 2012, 08:12:58 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2012, 08:20:51 PM by BushOklahoma »

They have officially extended my contract through Tuesday, May 8, 2012.  They reiterated today that they are doing everything they can to get me on permanent by the end of April.

EDIT:  They also said they can extend the contract into June if needed, but they don't forsee that being necessary.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #440 on: February 21, 2012, 07:58:51 PM »

The req order for my position has officially opened as of 2:00 pm this afternoon.  I applied within 10 minutes of the email.  I should have an interview in pretty short order, probably within a couple of weeks and then a decision will be made within a week of that.  The position will most likely start Monday, April 30 or May 7, 2012 after the freeze is lifted on Monday, April 23, 2012 to give them time to move the HR process along.  I very easily could have a definitive answer before I leave for Kenya, which would be very nice.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #441 on: February 22, 2012, 12:33:37 AM »

I am testing out my Air Conditioner for the next 24 hours.  Tomorrow is supposed to get up in the lower 70s, so, to me, that's a good temperature to test it at.  I'll turn it off tomorrow night or Thursday morning as a cold front is supposed to come through.  I generally start using it on a regular basis in mid to late March.  I won't have it on when it's supposed to drop below 34 degrees at night or with highs under 65.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #442 on: February 22, 2012, 12:38:48 AM »

Please don't ever listen to advice your family gives you. We've seen this script before.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #443 on: February 22, 2012, 07:41:40 AM »

Please don't ever listen to advice your family gives you. We've seen this script before.

Truer words have never been spoken.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #444 on: February 22, 2012, 08:51:05 AM »

Did I miss some new advice?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #445 on: February 22, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »

Did I miss some new advice?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Basically, his family is telling him to reject a job offer that he can later cancel on if he gets full time with Dell and to simply 'trust' Dell will hire him full time. We all, of course, have told him to take whatever job is offered, and if Dell comes through, he still has 2 weeks to cancel AT&T.

We have seen this episode before. BuskOK will ultimately follow the advice of his family, turn down a job offer from AT&T and subsequently get let go by Dell. Come May, he will be unemployed and will either force his mother to work more to support him or have to move back in with his parents.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #446 on: February 22, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »

How can it possibly be bad to accept a job offer if you can get out of it later? That's just free unemployment insurance...
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #447 on: February 22, 2012, 09:31:50 AM »

Eh, if I remember correctly, didn't his parents also tell him that it was a smart move to leave the gas company for that insurance one.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #448 on: February 22, 2012, 09:33:27 AM »

Too late
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #449 on: February 22, 2012, 09:38:14 AM »

Eh, if I remember correctly, didn't his parents also tell him that it was a smart move to leave the gas company for that insurance one.

Yep. The infamous "leap of faith" argument. He fell for that when he left the gas company for the scam Australian company that we all knew was a scam except for BushOK and his family.

How can it possibly be bad to accept a job offer if you can get out of it later? That's just free unemployment insurance...

That's what I told him. There's no harm in accepting it if he can cancel later if Dell hires him. It will be a job if Dell doesn't come through. It's like he would rather be unemployed than to work for AT&T.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies