As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:52:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 105
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 313076 times)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: May 23, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »

Yeah! What those other people said!

Also, there isn't a "guest" account. It's called not logging in. Currently, there are over 200 guests on the forum. But I'm glad you and your buddy get some good ol' LOLs at this thread. I know that a lot of us do too.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1326 on: May 23, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »

They very well could've fired you for no reason other than downsizing, but it makes no sense given they just made you a permanent employee like 3 weeks ago. Companies don't just downsize randomly. It doesn't make sense to add you on full time if their balance sheet suggested they would need to downsize in the coming weeks. That's the part that doesn't make sense.

And it could be your fault. SC is a no fault state too and my mother has had to fire people. She uses the no fault excuse but there are always other reasons why that person was fired. They're not going to want to pay unemployment out to you for no reason at all. Something happened. We can't tell ou what because none of us were there, but unless they were in serious financial trouble where layoffs are the only way to stop the bleeding, you were fired for something you did.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1327 on: May 23, 2012, 11:53:41 AM »

Now, I will admit I do need to take better care of this job, and I will,

Better care of this job than what, Dell?  How did you not take care of the Dell one?

Or am I reading too much into your clipped sentence?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1328 on: May 23, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »

Why is it you always go for call center jobs, btw? Considering your disability, it seems less than ideal.

Out of desperation, mainly.  I have not had success in getting non-call center jobs  at a relatively quick pace.  I'm not talking the same day like Xerox, that was just a luck of the draw.  I'm talking about not having to spend more than 3 weeks on pins and needles waiting for a decision.  Nobody wants to hire someone who stutters, plain and simple with less than movie star looks.  I really believe there is some disguised discrimination going on with these companies.  So, I don't even bother.  Plus, I was desperate because I have no other means of financial support.  My mother has cut off major support at my 30th birthday and her retirement.  This was so sudden that I didn't have time to really plan out a game plan.  Now that I have a job and it doesn't start for 3 1/2 weeks, I have time to look for a better, non call center job.  Believe me, I would happily take a non-call center job, but I was desperate mainly due to the suddenness of this entire experience.  I got the notice on Thursday, and on Monday, I was let go.  I don't believe that is fair, and they should have given me a little bit of notice, but i don't have any retaliation ammunition because the shotty laws of Oklahoma say employers can get rid of people without cause and without notice.  So, I went from thinking I had a stable job on Thursday morning, to turning in my badge just 5 calendar days later on Tuesday afternoon.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1329 on: May 23, 2012, 12:39:28 PM »

Now, I will admit I do need to take better care of this job, and I will,

Better care of this job than what, Dell?  How did you not take care of the Dell one?

Or am I reading too much into your clipped sentence?

I got real sick about 10 days after I got back from Kenya and was out quite a few days.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1330 on: May 23, 2012, 12:53:30 PM »

I got real sick about 10 days after I got back from Kenya and was out quite a few days.

ok, now I am angry, for I specific remember warning you NOT take a leave of absence soon after starting a new job.  if you want to secure employment, be the best employee.  arrive early and leave late.  be there day in and day out.  learn as much about the company's business as possible.  think outside the box in order to bring value to your company - don't just be content to do only what has been assigned to you.

if you do those things successfully, you will be one of the last employees to be axed during downturns.  if you're not willing to do those things, don't whine about being one of the first to be let go.

period.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1331 on: May 23, 2012, 12:58:02 PM »

ok, now I am angry, for I specific remember warning you NOT take a leave of absence soon after starting a new job.  if you want to secure employment, be the best employee.  arrive early and leave late.  be there day in and day out.  learn as much about the company's business as possible.  think outside the box in order to bring value to your company - don't just be content to do only what has been assigned to you.

if you do those things successfully, you will be one of the last employees to be axed during downturns.  if you're not willing to do those things, don't whine about being one of the first to be let go.

period.

Most of us did......and yeah, as a business person for 31 years I agree with the rest of jmf's post. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1332 on: May 23, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »

The Kenya trip may have been part of it, sure. They might think you care more about that than your job and didn't have a problem making you one of the first to go.

You need to focus on the here and now or just move to Kenya immediately. Taking weeks off at a time each year to go to Kenya will probably not sit well with your employers and you'll never be able to hold a steady job.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1333 on: May 23, 2012, 04:33:57 PM »

What Bushie needs to realize is that, despite the state of Oklahoman culture to the contrary, this is not the 1950s anymore, and the vast majority of American workers are no longer allowed to have both vacations/sick leave/dreams for a better life and steady employment. He'll need to pick one or the other.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1334 on: May 23, 2012, 09:56:54 PM »

The Kenya trip may have been part of it, sure. They might think you care more about that than your job and didn't have a problem making you one of the first to go.

You need to focus on the here and now or just move to Kenya immediately. Taking weeks off at a time each year to go to Kenya will probably not sit well with your employers and you'll never be able to hold a steady job.

I'm still on track to move to Africa in just under 3 years.  I don't think it was the vacation itself that cost me the job, but I think getting sick afterwards got me in the long run.  The first commandment of the workplace "Thou shall never get sick."
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1335 on: May 23, 2012, 09:59:39 PM »

What Bushie needs to realize is that, despite the state of Oklahoman culture to the contrary, this is not the 1950s anymore, and the vast majority of American workers are no longer allowed to have both vacations/sick leave/dreams for a better life and steady employment. He'll need to pick one or the other.

I'm beginning to realize that.  However, stubborn as I am, I'm probably not going to listen to that.  I'll be smart and take off VERY sparingly.  Once I start on June 18, I will not be able to take off until at least early October.  I am going to try to not take anytime off until Election Day and then some around Christmas to use up the leave before the year is over.  It is also looked down on if you throw any of your leave in the trash on December 31.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1336 on: May 23, 2012, 10:06:05 PM »

Call centers basically never downsize unless they are losing a contract or whatever. The attrition rate is so high it's not worth it and the demand is fluid, if they lay a bunch of people off and then need to hire a bunch more three months later it's a bunch of waste money in recruitment and training. It's cheaper just to overstaff over those three months.

Bushie and the rest of those folks were clearly doing something really wrong. If he was truly let go "for no reason at all" then has no excuse for not filing at the unemployment office for now until June 18.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1337 on: May 23, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »

I've had the same job for several years now and I always take a couple of weeks off in the summer for vacation. I give plenty of notice and it has never been an issue. Plenty of coworkers do the same.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1338 on: May 24, 2012, 04:26:18 AM »

I'm beginning to realize that.  However, stubborn as I am, I'm probably not going to listen to that.

No offense, but these two sentences could easily serve as your life motto.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1339 on: May 24, 2012, 06:35:40 AM »

I'm beginning to realize that.  However, stubborn as I am, I'm probably not going to listen to that.

Uh oh, looks like I have a new signature that I'll never see!!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1340 on: May 24, 2012, 06:44:38 AM »

So he knows what his problem is and is in no way interested in changing for the better? Sad.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1341 on: May 24, 2012, 07:48:19 AM »

This is funny, you guys are acting like its MY fault I got let go from Dell.  

Your postings since this one leave no other conclusion.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1342 on: May 24, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »

Contrary to popular forum opinion.  My life is not a mess right now.  I'm very stable in life right now and am just going through a job change.  It doesn't matter that I've gone through it several times before.  I know several people that have gone through job changes multiple times.  My youth minister, who now has found a stable company, has had 20+ different jobs.  I've had 5 different jobs in the past 4 years (I'm not counting the Kirbies or Ameriscam)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1343 on: May 24, 2012, 11:03:52 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2012, 11:06:53 AM by consigliere jmfcst »

I don't think it was the vacation itself that cost me the job, but I think getting sick afterwards got me in the long run.  The first commandment of the workplace "Thou shall never get sick."

You need to start taking personal responsibility, for it is given that your trip would most likely lead to an illness – there were several posters on here who even predicted it.  But, despite those known risks, you decided to go to Africa anyway, no matter the risks to your obligations to your employer.

It’s not like you came down with the flu after getting a flu vaccine.  Your company correctly concluded you did not do your due diligence to stay healthy in order to make a good first impression and meet your obligations to your employer.

You do NOT make pleasing your employer a priority in your life.  I would have fired you also.  Since you have a disability (stuttering) to being with, you need to make every effort to be doing it better and cleaner than the other guy.  Instead, you've lost your job in call centers three times. Been warned multiple times by posters, including me, with a history of half-chocked ventures with fly-by-night scam artists and two failed marriage engagements!

Reap-what-you-sow rules of engagement exist for your safety and for that of your team. They're not flexible, nor is the world. Obey them or your history will be written with government food stamps. Is that clear?

Dismissed.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1344 on: May 24, 2012, 11:12:11 AM »

Contrary to popular forum opinion.  My life is not a mess right now.  I'm very stable in life right now and am just going through a job change.  It doesn't matter that I've gone through it several times before.  I know several people that have gone through job changes multiple times.  My youth minister, who now has found a stable company, has had 20+ different jobs.  I've had 5 different jobs in the past 4 years (I'm not counting the Kirbies or Ameriscam)

That is not the definition of stability at the age of 30. And it will not get any better as long as you are looking forward to the Kenya move. My advice is if you are dead set on going there for good, go now. No need to delay it 2-3 years. You decided to do that before because you wanted to work that job that you threw away, so now you should have no reason not to go.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1345 on: May 24, 2012, 11:13:53 AM »

I don't think it was the vacation itself that cost me the job, but I think getting sick afterwards got me in the long run.  The first commandment of the workplace "Thou shall never get sick."

You need to start taking personal responsibility, for it is given that your trip would most likely lead to an illness – there were several posters on here who even predicted it.  But, despite those known risks, you decided to go to Africa anyway, no matter the risks to your obligations to your employer.

It’s not like you came down with the flu after getting a flu vaccine.  Your company correctly concluded you did not do your due diligence to stay healthy in order to make a good first impression and meet your obligations to your employer.

You do NOT make pleasing your employer a priority in your life.  I would have fired you also.  Since you have a disability (stuttering) to being with, you need to make every effort to be doing it better and cleaner than the other guy.  Instead, you've lost your job in call centers three times. Been warned multiple times by posters, including me, with a history of half-chocked ventures with fly-by-night scam artists and two failed marriage engagements!

Reap-what-you-sow rules of engagement exist for your safety and for that of your team. They're not flexible, nor is the world. Obey them or your history will be written with government food stamps. Is that clear?

Dismissed.

So, I should not have followed my dream and gone to Africa?  Just because I have a job, does not mean I have to discard every dream or ambition I have ever had.  If I had not gone to Africa this past March, it is likely I would have NEVER been able to go overseas at all and thus would not have had this ambition to MOVE to Africa.  Is that what employers want, to prohibit their employees from achieving their dreams?  I don't want any sarcastic remarks, either.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1346 on: May 24, 2012, 11:14:42 AM »

That is not the definition of stability at the age of 30. And it will not get any better as long as you are looking forward to the Kenya move. My advice is if you are dead set on going there for good, go now. No need to delay it 2-3 years. You decided to do that before because you wanted to work that job that you threw away, so now you should have no reason not to go.

Stability takes on different shapes and sizes for everybody.  The last thing I want to do is do things because that's what everybody else does.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1347 on: May 24, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »

I don't think it was the vacation itself that cost me the job, but I think getting sick afterwards got me in the long run.  The first commandment of the workplace "Thou shall never get sick."

You need to start taking personal responsibility, for it is given that your trip would most likely lead to an illness – there were several posters on here who even predicted it.  But, despite those known risks, you decided to go to Africa anyway, no matter the risks to your obligations to your employer.

It’s not like you came down with the flu after getting a flu vaccine.  Your company correctly concluded you did not do your due diligence to stay healthy in order to make a good first impression and meet your obligations to your employer.

You do NOT make pleasing your employer a priority in your life.  I would have fired you also.  Since you have a disability (stuttering) to being with, you need to make every effort to be doing it better and cleaner than the other guy.  Instead, you've lost your job in call centers three times. Been warned multiple times by posters, including me, with a history of half-chocked ventures with fly-by-night scam artists and two failed marriage engagements!

Dismissed.

So, I should not have followed my dream and gone to Africa?  Just because I have a job, does not mean I have to discard every dream or ambition I have ever had.  If I had not gone to Africa this past March, it is likely I would have NEVER been able to go overseas at all and thus would not have had this ambition to MOVE to Africa.  Is that what employers want, to prohibit their employees from achieving their dreams?  I don't want any sarcastic remarks, either.

Employers don't want employees there who do not want to be there. If you have other dreams, like to go to Africa, then go. Now. Like I said, there is no reason to try and find stable employment in the states if you are going to continue to go there every year and continue to talk about moving there. Don't put off what you plan to do anyway.

The ugly truth is, employees don't care about your dreams outside of what they are in the business of doing. If you have a dream to advance your career in the field you are in, most companies like to see that. If you have a dream that has nothing to do what you're doing at the present time, it's best not to walk around talking about how you'd rather be doing something else. Companies are not your parents. They don't care about your hopes and dreams.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1348 on: May 24, 2012, 11:18:46 AM »

Anyway, I am not going to think any more of Dell, what could have happened or what should have happened.  I am not going to live in the past.  I am looking forward to the future and the future is with Xerox and eventually Maisha International Orphanage in Kisumu, Kenya.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1349 on: May 24, 2012, 11:22:36 AM »

Why was the "mission" trip to Kenya the only way to go abroad? It's impossibly to apply for a passport, buy a flight ticket, etc. outside of that context?

Not that it was a poor idea per se, just wondering what that meant.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies